Deep, Dark, Weird Films - Some of My Faves

rushgoober

While I generally have a more sunny outgoing personality, I do find myself drawn to some deep, dark and REALLY wierd movies that end up being among my very favorites. Here are some that I love and highly recommend:

Lost Highway

Brazil

Naked Lunch

Crash

The Butterfly Effect

Jacob's Ladder

Zardoz

Existenz

Anyone care to comment on any of the above or add in some of your own?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2005, 11:56 AM)
While I generally have a more sunny outgoing personality, I do find myself drawn to some deep, dark and REALLY wierd movies that end up being among my very favorites. Here are some that I love and highly recommend:

Lost Highway
Brazil
Naked Lunch
Crash
The Butterfly Effect
Jacob's Ladder
Zardoz
Existenz

'Zardoz'? Isn't that the movie where Sean Connery runs around in a leather vest and a diaper?

RIVERS EDGE -Disturbing and at times humorous. I think this one fits in this category SLINGBLADE- I love this movie one of my all time favorites the characters are so believable. I have others just can't think of any at this moment!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2005, 10:56 AM)

I think my most deepest movie I own is Brainstorm starring Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood, which came out in 1983. That movie puts me in a trance everytime I watch it.

'Zardoz'? Isn't that the movie where Sean Connery runs around in a leather vest and a diaper?

That's the one!

I think my most deepest movie I own is Brainstorm starring Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood, which came out in 1983. That movie puts me in a trance everytime I watch it.

YES!!! Should have been on my list - excellent choice - almost as good is the Dennis Quaid movie Dreamscape from around the same time...

Edited by rushgoober

A Clockwork Orange is perhaps a bit TOO dark for me - not dark so much as cruel - I understand that's what the story is about, and I admit that it's EXTREMELY stylishly done, but it's a bit too harsh for my tastes.

hey, forgot to mention pink floyd's the wall!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 9 2005, 04:31 PM)
Clockwork Orange.

Great Film. One of my faves.

Jacob's Ladder is excellent too.

A Clockwork Orange

Se7en

Jacob's Ladder

Pink Floyd:The Wall

The Cable Guy (yep...I said "The Cable Guy", lol )

Sphere

Boogie Nights (kinda funny how it's dark, deep and weird...considering what the movie is about)

Tommy

Audition

...there's DEFINATELY more...I'll post them when I think of them cool.gif

-Matt

Edited by ALifeson85

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 10 2005, 02:30 AM)
BOXING HELENA- WEIRD,DARK AND SICK!!!

Yes, it was. Julian Sands gives me the creeps anyway (remember his pimp turn in Leaving Las Vegas) but he takes the cake for this sicko. Can you imagine?

Oh wow cool, I found a beautiful girl in a car accident and now I'm going to cut off all her limbs so she can never leave me. Man, what a wack job he was.

Some of these may have been mentioned:

American Beauty

Dead Ringers

Naked Lunch

In the Company of Men

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Natural Born Killers

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jun 10 2005, 03:03 AM)
Some of these may have been mentioned:

American Beauty
Dead Ringers
Naked Lunch
In the Company of Men
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Natural Born Killers

I totally forgot Henry:Portrait Of A Serial Killer....indeed very dark and twisted...This movie was so controversial it took 4 or 5 years before it was released....Very creepy indeed.

I would also now have to add The Woodsman starring Kevin Bacon....Like Henry, this movie is from the viewpoint of the criminal rather than the cops chasing them which is the usual plot device of these kinds of flicks...There is no violence or weird imagery per se in this movie at all but Kevin Bacon playing a pedophile struggling with his demons is pretty taboo and pretty deep stuff....

I hated "In The Company of Men", only for personal reasons...Though the movie is mostly dealing with misogny(did i spell that right?) , it offended me because I'm hearing -impaired....

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

I hated "In The Company of Men", only for personal reasons...Though the movie is mostly dealing with misogny(did i spell that right?) , it offended me because I'm hearing -impaired....

Yeah, some of the movies people are mentioning cross the line for me too, but that's ok - everyone's different in what they can handle. I really enjoy dark and surreal, it's just movies where some of the main characters are horribly cruel or sadistic that I lose interest. In the Company of Men was pretty harsh as is most Neil Labutte stuff (that IS the director, right?) - besides for me it's not really that surreal or wierd - just dark.

Anyone see a French film called The City of Lost Children - now there is one surreal and colorful wierdo film - trippy and great stuff. Subtitle warning.

I seem to be stuck on the Dark weird and SICK stuff. This came to mind anyone see The anti war film "Johnny got his gun " I believe that METALLICA song and video is based on it, (ONE ?) Another I seen THATS NOT MY FAVORITE but is still a dark weird film."COOK THE THIEF HIS WIFE AND HER LOVER" some scenes in this make you want to 062802puke_prv.gif AMERICAN BEAUTY, I had a 1970 Firebird loved that car!!!

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 10 2005, 12:13 PM)
I seem to be stuck on the Dark weird and SICK stuff. This came to mind anyone see The anti war film "Johnny got his gun " I believe that METALLICA song and video is based on it, (ONE ?) Another I seen THATS NOT MY FAVORITE but is still a dark weird film."COOK THE THIEF HIS WIFE AND HER LOVER" some scenes in this make you want to 062802puke_prv.gif AMERICAN BEAUTY, I had a 1970 Firebird loved that car!!!

Ye Johnny Got His Gun is indeed strange...That is the movie in which One by Metallica is based on. This is a VERY hard movie to find...I had it on VHS (taped it off television) but lost it somehow. I believe Metallica bought the rights but don't understand why they won't let it be released on dvd... confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2005, 04:46 AM)

Anyone see a French film called The City of Lost Children - now there is one surreal and colorful wierdo film - trippy and great stuff. Subtitle warning.

Yup, that's the one I was going to mention. It's one of my favorites!