what i hate about current rush tour structure

s_b_g

loving a band should never be about how much money you have.

it was never like that when i was growing up .. if you were wanting tickets for a seated venue you kipped out overnight to buy them .. a great social leveller.

if it was a non seated venue - all the better - we all bought our tickets and took our chance on the day.

vip etc just stinks in my mind - fans should be fans - and there are plenty of bands i love who don't go this route

d

Edited by s_b_g

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 17 2012, 02:11 PM)
you can thank LiveNation for the current state of affairs in the music industry.

but bands don't have to go with them - they can choose their approach to touring - and that what disappoints me the most

d

I didn't go to any show of the Time Machine tour, because I lost my job at the time and couldn't afford a ticket. It still drives me mad thinking about the fact that I missed Rush playing Moving Pictures in its entirety...

I can afford tickets now 'cause I have a new job, but I still think it's way more expensive than it should be. But life is more expensive nowadays in general.

Please keep in mind bands used to make a much larger portion of there money from selling records. That has now changed and they make most of the money from touring and as a result the tickets are more expensive.

That doesn't explain it all but a good bit of it.

Kevin

QUOTE (mlc @ May 17 2012, 02:18 PM)
Please keep in mind bands used to make a much larger portion of there money from selling records. That has now changed and they make most of the money from touring and as a result the tickets are more expensive.

That doesn't explain it all but a good bit of it.

Kevin

i appreciate what you are saying in general - but i go and see loads of bands every year who don't charge anywhere near these rates - and don't buy into the "platinum ticket" shit - and this is what pisses me off most

rush i am sure have way more money than many of the bands i go to see live who don't rip me off

rock and roll is not about how much money you can afford to drop on a ticket

d

QUOTE (s_b_g @ May 17 2012, 03:13 PM)
you can thank LiveNation for the current state of affairs in the music industry.

but bands don't have to go with them - they can choose their approach to touring - and that what disappoints me the most

d

LiveNation controls a large percentage of the major venues in the US and several in other countries. If a 'major' band wants to tour they have little choice but to get in bed with LN to some degree and at that point they might as well sign with LN for a more substantial stake.

It's not by accident that LN has positioned themselves in this manner. They control the venues, TM controls the ticketing thus they are able to inflate the guarantee to the artist which in turn trickles down to the consumer by way of higher ticket prices.

Until something is done about the LN/TM virtual monopoly concert prices will continue to rise and we will see more gimmicks such as VIPNation, tiered/dynamic pricing for Platinum seats and so on.

The question I have for anybody bitching is this:

You have 2 choices...

1. Go with smaller regional promoters and at the end of the day you make 10Mil for a 35 date tour

2. Go with LiveNation/TM and be GUARANTEED 18Mil for the exact same schedule.

This is a job for the artists and like RUSH most of them have created relatively large corporations around themselves. There are managers, lawyers and office staffs which rely on the business continuing.

For the average Joe a better analogy is this.

Company 1 offers you a job. $20/hr

Company 2 offers you a job. $70k/year.

Same job.. basically the same type of business.

Which job do you take?

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 17 2012, 02:32 PM)

d

LiveNation controls a large percentage of the major venues in the US and several in other countries. If a 'major' band wants to tour they have little choice but to get in bed with LN to some degree and at that point they might as well sign with LN for a more substantial stake.

It's not by accident that LN has positioned themselves in this manner. They control the venues, TM controls the ticketing thus they are able to inflate the guarantee to the artist which in turn trickles down to the consumer by way of higher ticket prices.

Until something is done about the LN/TM virtual monopoly concert prices will continue to rise and we will see more gimmicks such as VIPNation, tiered/dynamic pricing for Platinum seats and so on.

You have 2 choices...

1. Go with smaller regional promoters and at the end of the day you make 10Mil for a 35 date tour

This is a job for the artists and like RUSH most of them have created relatively large corporations around themselves. There are managers, lawyers and office staffs which rely on the business continuing.

Which job do you take?

well this simply is not true for the "large" venues in scotland - as i have been to numerous gigs in the same SECC without these stitch ups

d

To the original poster... just remember, there are always two sides to every coin.

I'm a working stiff, and I put in a lot of hours. I have a busy, complicated life, and I don't have TIME to go camp overnight to get tickets, or to show up 8 hours or the night before at the venue doorstep hoping for a good spot by the stage.

The only chance I have for good tickets is to pony up the dough. Everything has to come down to either time, or money. I'm not rolling around in the cash, but I probably have less free time than I have money.

Just sayin' trink39.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ May 17 2012, 02:41 PM)
To the original poster... just remember, there are always two sides to every coin.

I'm a working stiff, and I put in a lot of hours. I have a busy, complicated life, and I don't have TIME to go camp overnight to get tickets, or to show up 8 hours or the night before at the venue doorstep hoping for a good spot by the stage.

The only chance I have for good tickets is to pony up the dough. Everything has to come down to either time, or money. I'm not rolling around in the cash, but I probably have less free time than I have money.

Just sayin' trink39.gif

smile.gif totally with you - but young people tend to have time more than money - and to be honest i would rather young people got to see the bands they love in the same way i did when i was young - it would surely be horrible if rock and roll gigs were full of rich old people in the front rows with young people relegated to the back smile.gif

QUOTE (s_b_g @ May 17 2012, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (dakota2112 @ May 17 2012, 02:41 PM)

I'm a working stiff, and I put in a lot of hours.  I have a busy, complicated life, and I don't have TIME to go camp overnight to get tickets, or to show up 8 hours or the night before at the venue doorstep hoping for a good spot by the stage.

The only chance I have for good tickets is to pony up the dough.  Everything has to come down to either time, or money.  I'm not rolling around in the cash, but I probably have less free time than I have money.

Just sayin'  trink39.gif

smile.gif totally with you - but young people tend to have time more than money - and to be honest i would rather young people got to see the bands they love in the same way i did when i was young - it would surely be horrible if rock and roll gigs were full of rich old people in the front rows with young people relegated to the back smile.gif

Well, the good thing is, for the most part it's pretty cheap to see new and upcoming bands, and most of these shows are general admission.... I've seen tons of great new bands/artists for about $20 a pop at places like Lupo's in Providence and Paradise Rock Club in Boston.

Rush have been around for over 40 years now.... sure, the ticket prices are crazy, but these guys are legendary, and they deserve any extra cash they're able to make.

QUOTE (s_b_g @ May 17 2012, 02:09 PM)

it was never like that when i was growing up .. if you were wanting tickets for a seated venue you kipped out overnight to buy them .. a great social leveller.

if it was a non seated venue - all the better - we all bought our tickets and took our chance on the day.

vip etc just stinks in my mind - fans should be fans - and there are plenty of bands i love who don't go this route

d

goodpost.gif Couldn't agree with you more! trink39.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ May 17 2012, 03:41 PM)

Just sayin' trink39.gif

+1

d

You have 2 choices...

Which job do you take?

Bingo!

Live Nation is a necessary evil for the livelihood of the band. And just has Ticketmaster is sometimes ridiculed they provide a hell of an effective and convenient service.

yeah now the Service fees now are higher than what concerts used to cost!

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (s_b_g @ May 17 2012, 02:09 PM)

That's bull5h!t. It sounds like occupier logic to me. The bottom line is you still need money to buy the tickets. Even if the ticket is $1, if you don't have the money you can't have the ticket. It's called the exchange of currency for goods and services.

Edited by TheBluePhoenix

Blue, you're completely correct (and your occupier mention was priceless). I think people sometimes forget that the band is a business. Not sure why anyone would rather buy tickets in person when they can do so with a credit card from anywhere with a good internet connection.

d

You have 2 choices...

Which job do you take?

goodpost.gif

Good Post Snaked!

2.gif