The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 17 2006, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 16 2006, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 15 2006, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 14 2006, 11:42 PM)
QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 15 2006, 02:20 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 25 2005, 10:28 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/test4vitalsigns/pinkfloydgirls.jpg

I have a giant poster of this 1022.gif  (54 inches by 39inches)

Hey, I have that poster on my wall too! laugh.gif

I'm not a HUGE Floyd fan; I have DSOTM and WYWH. Both are excellent IMO, although I like WYWH better than DSOTM. One of these days I intend to buy The Wall. Maybe Animals. I think I'll eventually buy Meddle too- I heard that album on the radio once (yes, the whole thing!) and even though that was about five years ago I still remember it.

Definitely get Animals yes.gif

Definitely get The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets and Meedle and Atom Heart Mother. No offense to anyone as I think their 4 big albums from the 70's are great, but I get super tired of people worshiping them and totally ignoring their brilliant superlative pre-Dark Side albums...

Who is ignoring the early stuff? Get super-tired all you want but the 70's albums were the zenith of their career. Just about every Floyd fan I knew started with the 70's stuff and went back to check out the earlier stuff. Some like it most don't. I personally love all their stuff (though it took me awhile to really like Momentary).

I really don't know a single person of my generation or this current generation who started listening to the beginning of their career first up to the 70's albums...With few exceptions(you included) I don't know anyone who thinks their earlier stuff tops the 70's era albums...

Sorry Test, it's part of my general frustration that the music I generally love gets ignored by the mainstream, even as far as Pink Floyd goes. People tend to just like what's very popular, but even more common, people tend to just like what they've heard, though Pink Floyd is a big enough band that many HAVE explored their pre-Dark Side stuff (and thank God they did have ultra-popular albums, or their pre-Dark Side more underground challenging stuff would be a tiny footnote in musical history). It just seems like Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall are easy albums to love, and I've always been into more challenging, less easily accessible stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I truly love those 4 albums and I most likely got into Floyd with those albums first (though honestly, I can't remember where I started), it's just that everyone loves those albums and I tend to shy away from what's ultra-popular. I dunno, to me their pre-Dark Side music is the kind of music I listen to all the time, so I don't even want to say it's better, more that it's just my style. People listening only to the big four is easy - they're accessible - it's like pizza or chocolate - how hard are they to love?

I know I'm a snob about this, but what can I do if I like more challenging and obscure music? I get bored with people liking only VERY well known and popular groups. I do my best to be tolerant of other people's musical tastes. God knows my wife can't stand most of my obscure music and listens to FAR more accessible music - I love her completely, but that music bores the crap out of me. We like some of the same things and play them together, but I get tired of it fast and want to hear something weirder and more challenging all the time.

There are plenty of people who prefer pre-Dark Side Floyd, some on this board even, but of course they're going to be in the minority - albums that sell 1 or 2 million copies are bound to be less popular than albums that sell 10 or 20 million copies. I just get tired of people worshipping them. Imagine if there was a group you loved where they made a few what you consider brilliant groundbreaking albums that you loved dearly. Then they made a couple of INCREDIBLY popular ones that were also groundbreaking (in a different way), or at least widely influential, but were very different than the era you TRULY loved. You could say to 500 people I love this group and they would go - REALLY? ME TOO! ALRIGHT! And then they would list off the two incredibly popular ones 99% of the time. They either hadn't heard their earlier work or tried it and gave up cause it wasn't as easily accessible - don't you think it might get frustrating to you too after awhile?

That's what it's like with me and Floyd and with me and music in general. I tell people I like late 60's music and they're like - ME TOO! And then they talk about Hendrix and the Doors and the Beatles. Don't get me wrong I LOVE those groups, but I get frustrated that virtually no one has heard of (or at least heard)The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Kak, Lazy Smoke, Astral Navigations, Fairport Convention, Kaleidoscope, The 13th Floor Elevators and Appletree Theater - groups that EASILY (imho) deserve the same acclaim as the Pink Floyds of this world. It frustrates me that Rush's highest charting song is New World Man at #21 (in the U.S.) when songs like My Hump goes to #3, and Rush are a group I consider to have had a great deal of popularity next to most of what I listen to.

So what can I do? I can't put people down for loving Animals, it's a great album, and if people want to listen to and purchase shit like My Hump, well, they're entitled to their bad taste. I get bored and frustrated, that's all...

I realize what you are saying but who cares what anyone else listens to? Why waste time and energy getting frustrated with what anyone else listens to? What is important is what YOU like to listen to...

Right now I'm in a major Frank Zappa phase and I know many peeps who don't like or don't get FZ but I don't care because I'm right into it and enjoying it for my own benefit...I couldn't care less if anyone else gets into it or not...I'll introduce it to others and if they get into it great..if not, oh well...I tried..life goes on...

I recommended Animals because I personally love it...maybe Tull Fan will either love it or won't...maybe he will like it and would be curious about other Floyd stuff which would be a good thing...then I would recommend listening to the older stuff....With some people you might alienate them if u start off with the experimental stuff...

Sometimes you have go backwards in order for some people to truly appreciate how great a band is...It happened to me with Floyd, Beatles, Stones, etc....I first listened to their well known classic stuff, got right into it and wanted to find out how they came to this point....and true enuff you find out there are some nuggets that blow away the well known stuff and then there are examples of the opposite...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 17 2006, 11:22 AM)
I realize what you are saying but who cares what anyone else listens to?  Why waste time and energy getting frustrated with what anyone else listens to? What is important is what YOU like to listen to...

Right now I'm in a major Frank Zappa phase and I know many peeps who don't like or don't get FZ but I don't care because I'm right into it and enjoying it for my own benefit...I couldn't care less if anyone else gets into it or not...I'll introduce it to others and if they get into it great..if not, oh well...I tried..life goes on...

how would it be for all of us if we were one of maybe five thousand people on the planet who had heard of Rush? we wouldn't be on TRF, that's for sure - or it would be a tiny little website.

for me it's about being able to share the music i love with others, to be able to turn others on to it and to be able to TALK about the music i love. obviously i listen to what i listen to and whatever anyone else likes or doesn't like has no impact on that - it just gets lonely is all.

growing up i tried countless times to get my brother and friends into the music i liked so we could enjoy it together, but it rarely worked. a lot of people just take it as a given that they can hang out with some friends and loved ones and put on some groovy tunes that everyone can enjoy. i have that experience VERY rarely. there are MANY, MANY times where i would love, just passionately LOVE to share with my wife so many great albums that turn me on and mean so much to me, but she rarely likes it. we can listen to music together if we listen to the handful of groups we both love, but i get tired of those, and anything super adventurous (imho) she usually doesn't like.

if the music i love had more popularity, maybe some of those groups would have lasted longer, made more of an impact. mostly it's about sharing though - i hear something and it moves me SO much that i just want to (or i used to want to) send it to everyone i know so THEY can see what i see in it and be similarly moved, but it so rarely works out that i usually just give up on the whole thing and listen on my own, talk about it on small websites with people into the same obscure stuff that i am. that's all well and fine, but it would be great if those sites were as big as this one, where i could share with LOTS of people into the same thing.

i used to hang out on psychedelic music sites, but they were so small that i got bored talking about the same albums with the same very few people - i wanted something more like TRF - a BIG community. this is great and i love it here, but rush is only one of very many musical passions for me - i feel like i really get to share the rush experience with people in a very fulfilling way, but it doesn't work that way for most groups i'm into...

Edited by rushgoober

I also happen to be in a Zappa phase. I could care less if people think the guy's a freak or not. His music is amazing. I am a fan of more obscure stuff by any band almost. In other words, I ALSO enjoy (like rushgoober) Floyd's earlier material like TPATGOD, ASOS, and AHM. Sometimes I feel like I do care what people listen to but if they do want to buy stupid, mindless crap like Good Charlotte and Lil' Dick or whatever, then I'd let them. I also am sick and damn tired of the song "My Humps". The song sucks and the only reason people like the music video is because of the hot chick in it. I am 14 years old and I actually KNOW what real music is. Almost 100% of the freshmen in my high school listen to this dung that is SPAMMING the airwaves nowadays. I know I am still considered a "child" or a "kid" but I fear for the youth of today. I really do. If any of you live near the New York/New Jersey area like I do, listen to Q 104.3 and 105.7 The Hawk. Now that is real music.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

waffen093.gif

EDIT: ranton.gif

Edited by Rush!

I dont know if I can call it a phase, but I have recently discovered a few incredible Zappa albums. Joe's Garage and Hot Rats have been getting some heavy rotation from me in the last couple of weeks.

As for not being able to share the music you like with a vast amount of people, everyone has that. There are a great number of new bands I am into that I cant talk to about 99% of people over the age of 30 about, because they simply wont give them a chance either. Meh, life goes on, so I find people who do want to talk about them and get my fix of those bands that way. Not every experience has to be shared with every single person.

Edit: oh, and so my post is on topic.... Pink Floyd = incredible

Edited by Moonraker

I love EVERY phase of PF's career as this post demonstrates.

Animals was not well received when first released despite a #3 chart peak and Platinum sales right away. Critics pretty much hated it save a New York Times reviewer who loved it. Radio ignored it as it featured mainly ten minute plus tracks. Wish You Were Here is my favorite of the 70s PF albums. The Wall despite being released in December of 1979 in the US was more of an 80s album and was the best selling album in America throughout 1980(#1 for a whopping 15 weeks).

There was only one Syd era album Piper which was a great album. I first heard the Piper and Saucerful albums on A Nice Pair(the double album which re-packaged Piper and Saucerful although the US issue substituted the studio Astronomy Domine for the Ummagumma version) when I got the cassette in May of 1987(I was only 11 then).

I grew up on DSotM and The Wall and Dance Songs from ages 0 to 7 and I first got The Final Cut at age 7. Wish You Were Here and Animals and Works(a compilation of the 1967-73 era) I first received on cassette at age 9 in 1985(WYWH was acquired by mistake as my mom bought that for me instead of Dance Songs for my 9th birthday, today it's my all time favorite PF album).

In 1987, I first acquired Piper and Saucerful, Ummagumma(or Highlights from Ummagumma as it was the US cassette issue which deleted most of the live disc), Atom Heart Mother, Relics, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds and I of course got Momentary Lapse within its first week plus Roger's Radio KAOS album. 1988 I first acquired the More soundtrack and of course Delicate Sound plus both David Gilmour solo efforts. In 1989 I first got Roger's Pros and Cons album.

Between 1987 and 1991 I either purchased or received replacement copies for The Wall, DSotM, OBC, WYWH, Animals, TFC, AMLoR, ANP, ACoGDS, AHM and Meddle as they either got chewed or wore out or just broke.

In 1991, I upgraded DSotM, ACoGDS, Animals(with an uninterupted Pigs(Three Different Ones)), Ummagumma(the full album), AMLOR, DSoThunder, TFC, More, both DG albums, The Wall and WYWH on CD.

In 1992, I upgraded Meddle, Works, ASoS and Roger's Pros and Cons to CD plus I acquired Roger's Amused to Death and Shine On box set both CD.

In 1993, I upgraded OBC, AHM and PatGoD plus Roger's KAOS to CD

In 1994, I got The Division Bell on CD, tape and vinyl and saw the band on its accompanying tour in Foxboro, MA. I also started buying and/or acquiring bootleg concerts be it CD or tape plus acquired both Nick Mason CDs, Rick Wright's Wet Dream and all three Syd Barrett solo efforts on CD.

In 1995, I got Pulse on street date on CD and also cassette. Plus the remastered CDs of TPatGoD, ASoS, Ummagumma, AHM, Meddle and DSotM.

In 1996, I acquired the remastered CDs of More, Relics and OBC and Rick Wright's Broken China.

In 1997, I acquired the remastered CDs of WYWH, Animals, The Wall, ACoGDS, TFC and AMLoR.

In 1998, I got the deluxe Zabriske Point sdtk plus TPatGoD 30th anniversary edition.

In 1999, I saw Roger in Mansfield, MA.

In 2000, I bought both versions of Is There Anybody Out There? plus Capitol re-issues of WYWH, Animals, The Wall and ACoGDS and Roger's In the Flesh album plus I saw Roger in Providence, RI that July.

In 2001, I acquired Syd's Wouldn't You Miss Me and PF's Echoes.

In 2002, I got a reply from David Gilmour on a webchat he did, I asked him about The Nordoff Robbins Therapy charity work. Plus, I got his In Concert 2001/2002 DVD and Roger's Flickering Flame best of.

In 2003, I acquired the Hybrid SACD of DSotM.

In 2004, I got the expanded version of The Final Cut.

In 2005, I got the remastered versions of ITAOT and AMLoR and watched and recorded the Live 8 reunion and spoke to Nick Mason on Rockline.

I also love Rush, The Eagles and Queen.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 17 2006, 02:54 PM)
As for not being able to share the music you like with a vast amount of people, everyone has that.  There are a great number of new bands I am into that I cant talk to about 99% of people over the age of 30 about, because they simply wont give them a chance either.  Meh, life goes on, so I find people who do want to talk about them and get my fix of those bands that way.  Not every experience has to be shared with every single person.

that's true moony, but you do go to tons of shows, so you are able to enjoy music you dig with people all the time - for me it's a very rare and therefore precious experience when it happens...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 17 2006, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 17 2006, 02:54 PM)
As for not being able to share the music you like with a vast amount of people, everyone has that.  There are a great number of new bands I am into that I cant talk to about 99% of people over the age of 30 about, because they simply wont give them a chance either.  Meh, life goes on, so I find people who do want to talk about them and get my fix of those bands that way.  Not every experience has to be shared with every single person.

that's true moony, but you do go to tons of shows, so you are able to enjoy music you dig with people all the time - for me it's a very rare and thefore precious experience when it happens...

Thats only because I'm still young. Give me another 10, 20 years and it wont be so easy to do that anymore. Nor will many of the bands that I'm enjoying right now still be around.

Edited by Moonraker

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mikerossi/plodder/floyd.jpg

My two Pink Floyd concert tickets.

smile.gif

What's up with the endless delays on the DVD release of PULSE?

They said it would be released in mid-January. Now nobody knows when the damn thing will be available. Maybe never.

Is Floyd's management company incompetent, sadistic, or what?

Had a rather strange dream last night.

I was in a baby toy store(6 weeks to go before my wife gives birth to Rushfan No.1!!) and I came across a book, which was a kids version of The Wall, Scarfe illustrations, the lot, but there was no mention of Floyd, anywhere!!! I went to the checkout desk to mention this blatant plagiarism to the staff members, but, wait for it, they HAD NO FACES!!!!!

I woke up soon after and my wife informed me that the baby was kicking like crazy all night, worst night yet!! I reckon he/she was headbanging!!

I am no longer allowed to play music to my unborn musical genius.

QUOTE (Lerxst @ Jan 20 2006, 08:03 PM)
What's up with the endless delays on the DVD release of PULSE?

They said it would be released in mid-January. Now nobody knows when the damn thing will be available. Maybe never.

Is Floyd's management company incompetent, sadistic, or what?

I am not going to concentrate on PULSE! Bring on David Gilmour's new album On an Island out March 7.