I'm seeing VH tonight

MMCXII

just wondering what to expect..

I only bought the ticket because I was offered a deal and I haven't even heard the album, but now I'm getting pumped about the show.. they were my favorite band back in the early 80's..

I'm assuming there's none of the Sammy material?? lol

QUOTE (MMCXII @ May 11 2012, 03:05 PM)
just wondering what to expect..

I only bought the ticket because I was offered a deal and I haven't even heard the album, but now I'm getting pumped about the show.. they were my favorite band back in the early 80's..

I'm assuming there's none of the Sammy material?? lol

I love the new album. I saw them here in Pittsburgh a while back, it was a very good show. Dave was having a bit of voice problems, but he was a trooper and still put on a good show. Eddie was exceptional which is a lot coming from me as I'm in the "EVH is overrated camp"

Hope it's a good show for ya.

QUOTE (MCM @ May 11 2012, 08:12 PM)
Eddie was exceptional which is a lot coming from me as I'm in the "EVH is overrated camp"

And your camp needs go to a deserted island and kill each other. If you don't hear how brilliant, soulful and unique Eddie's rhythm playing is, you are a complete failure. Seriously, any real musician or ardent music listener knows the real magic isn't mainly in his leads--its his freakin' rhythm and song writing abilities.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ May 12 2012, 11:40 PM)
Eddie was exceptional which is a lot coming from me as I'm in the "EVH is overrated camp"

And your camp needs go to a deserted island and kill each other. If you don't hear how brilliant, soulful and unique Eddie's rhythm playing is, you are a complete failure. Seriously, any real musician or ardent music listener knows the real magic isn't mainly in his leads--its his freakin' rhythm and song writing abilities.

Eddie sux, his kid sux, the "new album" is a joke and they're living off the past. Van halen has been reduced to entertainers I would expect to see perform at a low-grade retirement home luncheon at best...

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ May 13 2012, 09:44 AM)

Eddie sux, his kid sux, the "new album" is a joke and they're living off the past. Van halen has been reduced to entertainers I would expect to see perform at a low-grade retirement home luncheon at best...

Wow, didn't expect such a violent reaction to my statement, followed by another in the complete opposite direction.

I don't care for EVH, don't think he sucks, just don't care for VH in general. Although I don't degrade others for their opinions, it's well documented that I don't care for him. You are free to believe he is a genius. I am free to believe that he is is not.

That being said, this is the first VH album that I've ever voluntarily purchased and listened to more than once and I like it very much.

QUOTE (MCM @ May 13 2012, 06:31 PM)

Wow, didn't expect such a violent reaction to my statement, followed by another in the complete opposite direction.

I don't care for EVH, don't think he sucks, just don't care for VH in general. Although I don't degrade others for their opinions, it's well documented that I don't care for him. You are free to believe he is a genius. I am free to believe that he is is not.

That being said, this is the first VH album that I've ever voluntarily purchased and listened to more than once and I like it very much.

Fair enough. Obviously, I don't want anyone to 'kill eachother', but it just burns me when people dismiss EVH's greatness, followed usually by some ignorant statment about him being a one-trick-pony with the finger tapping. Is he as technically brilliant as Paul Gilbert or Yngwie Malmsteen...no. But he plays the f**k out of the rhythm and is instantly identifiable on the first few chords. BTW, if ANKOT is the first VH album you own, you need to check out VH1 and then maybe Fair Warning.

I drove to Chicago to see them, and they just announced they are playing Milwaukee in Sept smile.gif Might go again. Other than Dave and the crap on the video screens, I thought the show was stellar.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ May 14 2012, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (MCM @ May 13 2012, 06:31 PM)

Fair enough. Obviously, I don't want anyone to 'kill eachother', but it just burns me when people dismiss EVH's greatness, followed usually by some ignorant statment about him being a one-trick-pony with the finger tapping. Is he as technically brilliant as Paul Gilbert or Yngwie Malmsteen...no. But he plays the f**k out of the rhythm and is instantly identifiable on the first few chords. BTW, if ANKOT is the first VH album you own, you need to check out VH1 and then maybe Fair Warning.

Yeah, got the VH lecture this weekend from my older brother. Since I don't love VH I believe he thinks he failed in my musical education. Maybe someday I'll delve into their catalog and I'll love it, who knows.