ERF Day - June 23, 2012

One day? Sure. Always? Change my diet completely along the guidelines issued by the website? No. Not that I eat a crap diet at all, but there are certain foods that fall into the "you'll-lose-a-hand-trying-to-take-it-from-me" category.

I also can't help but think that "organic" is overhyped and WAY too expensive for the most part. (Though after seeing hog farm lagoons up close and learning about THAT industry, I'll stick to organic pork only, thanks).

I'd love to see small farms and co-ops become commonplace, though. I hate that the food industry reduces a critical matter like nutrition to profit/loss margins.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 28 2012, 10:27 PM)
One day? Sure. Always? Change my diet completely along the guidelines issued by the website? No. Not that I eat a crap diet at all, but there are certain foods that fall into the "you'll-lose-a-hand-trying-to-take-it-from-me" category.

I also can't help but think that "organic" is overhyped and WAY too expensive for the most part.

rofl3.gif

Me, too!

As for organic, I think you're spot on with the hype and overcharging. I try to hit my local produce stand or grow my own. As far as meats... I just try to get the best. confused13.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 28 2012, 01:27 PM)
How many of you think you could handle this for one day?

ERF Day - June 23, 2012

My diet is 80% natural these days. Mostly fresh fruits and vegetables and many meals made from scratch.

I think I could do this without a problem.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 30 2012, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 28 2012, 01:27 PM)
How many of you think you could handle this for one day?

ERF Day - June 23, 2012

My diet is 80% natural these days. Mostly fresh fruits and vegetables and many meals made from scratch.

I think I could do this without a problem.

yes.gif

Some of the guidelines in there are a little too strict. Like I really care if my eggs are free range. wacko.gif

Could I do it for a day? Sure. Would I? No. Because it's pointless and it ignores a basic truth: that just because a food is "processed", doesn't mean it's bad. And by "processed", I mean things like baking bread or combining ingredients into a food. This is from their site:

Real food is real simple because it typically has just one ingredient. It comes from nature and has not been substantially altered. A box of cereal is not real food because there's no cereal tree. Likewise, there is no pasta tree, no bread bush and no granola bar orchard.

That's ridiculous. If I take some honey, stir it up with some granola, nuts, dried fruit and other "real foods", then let it harden into a granola bar, there is nothing wrong with that. If I take some whole wheat flour, stir in an egg, and shape it into pasta, there is nothing wrong with that. Taking one thing and changing its form so that its another thing... I think it's foolish to say that's wrong.

People have lived with bread for thousands of years. It is not inherently bad. I'm sick and tired of the extremists who say that we're all fat because we eat basic human staples like bread.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 30 2012, 09:13 AM)
Could I do it for a day? Sure. Would I? No. Because it's pointless and it ignores a basic truth: that just because a food is "processed", doesn't mean it's bad. And by "processed", I mean things like baking bread or combining ingredients into a food. This is from their site:

Real food is real simple because it typically has just one ingredient. It comes from nature and has not been substantially altered. A box of cereal is not real food because there's no cereal tree. Likewise, there is no pasta tree, no bread bush and no granola bar orchard.

That's ridiculous. If I take some honey, stir it up with some granola, nuts, dried fruit and other "real foods", then let it harden into a granola bar, there is nothing wrong with that. If I take some whole wheat flour, stir in an egg, and shape it into pasta, there is nothing wrong with that. Taking one thing and changing its form so that its another thing... I think it's foolish to say that's wrong.

People have lived with bread for thousands of years. It is not inherently bad. I'm sick and tired of the extremists who say that we're all fat because we eat basic human staples like bread.

exactly.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 30 2012, 10:13 AM)

I can see your point as well but eating too much natural food such as cheese or breads also are bad. Balance is the key. Exercise is often omitted as well.

Great idea. I'm currently trying to do this already but I'm not there, not 100%. Getting there, though.

Will try extra hard to have an ERF day on June 23 which just happens to be the day I turn 40. Can somebody make me an ERF birthday cake? tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 21 2012, 12:56 PM)
Great idea. I'm currently trying to do this already but I'm not there, not 100%. Getting there, though.

Will try extra hard to have an ERF day on June 23 which just happens to be the day I turn 40. Can somebody make me an ERF birthday cake? tongue.gif

Sure - It'll be a carrot cake... just a pile of carrots.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 21 2012, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 21 2012, 12:56 PM)
Great idea.  I'm currently trying to do this already but I'm not there, not 100%.  Getting there, though.

Will try extra hard to have an ERF day on June 23 which just happens to be the day I turn 40.  Can somebody make me an ERF birthday cake?  tongue.gif

Sure - It'll be a carrot cake... just a pile of carrots.

... and set on fire. A candle might not be ERF-worthy. tongue.gif

Did it for three full weeks, though not for any reason other than my health. I noticed absolutely no difference...not even in my weight. And I did not cheat, not even once.

Disclaimer: I'm not exactly what you'd call a 'Cheeto Eater', meaning I already eat relatively healthy, but not religiously and most of it comes from Super Walmart.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 21 2012, 01:52 PM)
I'm not gonna eat that organic crap... especially not on my birthday!

I would suggest avoiding all crap... unless you're Bear Grylls.

So after looking at that site, I suppose I'm really NOT trying to eat real food, according to their rules.

I AM trying to cut out processed stuff, because my homemade food tastes better anyway. And I'm trying to eat more veggies, which is just a good idea.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 21 2012, 02:41 PM)
So after looking at that site, I suppose I'm really NOT trying to eat real food, according to their rules.

I AM trying to cut out processed stuff, because my homemade food tastes better anyway.  And I'm trying to eat more veggies, which is just a good idea.

yes.gif

Very rigid standards to live up to. We make most everything we eat from scratch, but grilling chicken breast or boiling potatoes is fine by me.

How much of the food you eat is homemade? 90% (for us)

How much is scratch made? 75% (things like pancakes, I'm ok using a mix)

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 21 2012, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 21 2012, 02:41 PM)

I AM trying to cut out processed stuff, because my homemade food tastes better anyway.  And I'm trying to eat more veggies, which is just a good diea.

yes.gif

Very rigid standards to live up to. We make most everything we eat from scratch, but grilling chicken breast or boiling potatoes is fine by me.

How much of the food you eat is homemade? 90% (for us)

How much is scratch made? 75% (things like pancakes, I'm ok using a mix)

That's very close how I cook. I like to know what we're eating. So, it's easier if we make everything from scratch. And, a big percentage of our diet is from plant-based foods. I've been eating a lot cleaner for almost four years, and there is a HUGE difference in my health. My weight, cholesterol, energy level, etc. are all markedly improved. Now, when I get my fast-food fix, what I notice first is how SALTY that stuff is. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 30 2012, 07:20 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 30 2012, 09:13 AM)

exactly.

x2

goodpost.gif