Question For Moody Blues Fans?

presto123

I've only been a Moodies fan since their 80's stuff. I don't know too much of their 60's and 70's stuff other than their radio hits. Is their real old catalog strong throughout or is it hit and miss? I would imagine it's more diverse and experimental right?

Definitely. Their strengths in their early years were that they had 4 songwriters who could sing and and blend their voices into a superior overall vocal sound and they could play a wide variety of different instruments. You can't go wrong with any of the 'Core 7' from 1967-1972. They're all loaded with great music and interesting sounds. Most of them are thematic or conceptual in nature with no spaces between songs so they were definitely intended to be listened to as complete works.

5 stars

Days of Future Passed(1967) - includes two of their biggest hits ('Nights in White Satin', 'Tuesday Afternoon'). features lengthy orchestral passages between the proper songs, mostly acoustic guitar throughout and some spoken word

On The Threshold of A Dream(1969) - a couple of minor hits ('Lovely To See You', 'Never Comes The Day'). if you're unsure about DOFP because of the orchestra, get this first

In Search of the Lost Chord(1968) - huge hit here is 'Ride My See Saw', also includes one of their greatest and most iconic tracks 'Legend of A Mind'. Very strong album though all the way through.

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour(1971) - includes 'The Story In Your Eyes' and the very groovy opener 'Procession'. No real concept to this one just lots of beautiful tunes.

4 stars

To Our Children's Children's Children(1969) - no big hits on here but mostly excellent

3 stars

Seventh Sojourn(1972) - two major hits in 'I'm Just A Singer in a Rock n Roll Band' and 'Isn't Life Strange'. This is the most laid back of the 'Core 7' releases until the final track 'Singer' but certainly well worthwhile once you've heard the earlier albums.

A Question of Balance(1970) - the best track by far and the big hit is 'Question' (the other highlight being 'Melancholy Man'). I'd definitely get this last in that it's only one where's some questionable tracks.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 22 2012, 05:08 AM)
Definitely. Their strengths in their early years were that they had 4 songwriters who could sing and and blend their voices into a superior overall vocal sound and they could play a wide variety of different instruments. You can't go wrong with any of the 'Core 7' from 1967-1972. They're all loaded with great music and interesting sounds. Most of them are thematic or conceptual in nature with no spaces between songs so they were definitely intended to be listened to as complete works.

5 stars
Days of Future Passed(1967) - includes two of their biggest hits ('Nights in White Satin', 'Tuesday Afternoon'). features lengthy orchestral passages between the proper songs, mostly acoustic guitar throughout and some spoken word
On The Threshold of A Dream(1969) - a couple of minor hits ('Lovely To See You', 'Never Comes The Day'). if you're unsure about DOFP because of the orchestra, get this first
In Search of the Lost Chord(1968) - huge hit here is 'Ride My See Saw', also includes one of their greatest and most iconic tracks 'Legend of A Mind'. Very strong album though all the way through.
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour(1971) - includes 'The Story In Your Eyes' and the very groovy opener 'Procession'. No real concept to this one just lots of beautiful tunes.
4 stars
To Our Children's Children's Children(1969) - no big hits on here but mostly excellent
3 stars
Seventh Sojourn(1972) - two major hits in 'I'm Just A Singer in a Rock n Roll Band' and 'Isn't Life Strange'. This is the most laid back of the 'Core 7' releases until the final track 'Singer' but certainly well worthwhile once you've heard the earlier albums.
A Question of Balance(1970) - the best track by far and the big hit is 'Question' (the other highlight being 'Melancholy Man'). I'd definitely get this last in that it's only one where's some questionable tracks.

Silas pretty much nails it. I'd probably score Question & Seventh a bit higher, that's all. Those seven are essential.

Caught Live +5 and Live At The Isle of Wight are two excellent live documents too. The live versions of Legend of a Mind are, to these ears, two of the most exciting live songs ever.

Thanks guys.(Silas especially) I will check it out. I'm sure I know a few of those songs because I have a couple live DVD's and the Lovely To See You blu-ray. Are you guys a fan of their 80's and 90's stuff as well? There are a couple of slow song's I absolutely love from that blu-ray called Forever Autumn and December Snow. Are You Sitting Comfortably is quite nice as well:) Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 22 2012, 07:56 AM)
Thanks guys.(Silas especially) I will check it out. I'm sure I know a few of those songs because I have a couple live DVD's and the Lovely To See You blu-ray. Are you guys a fan of their 80's and 90's stuff as well? There are a couple of slow song's I absolutely love from that blu-ray called Forever Autumn and December Snow. Are You Sitting Comfortably is quite nice as well:)

Forever Autumn is a great tune, one of The War of The Worlds highlights.

I find a lot of their later stuff a bit twee, to be honest. When Pinder left, they lost that bit of progginess that made them so special. But, Lovely to See You is a very good live album/DVD.

Have you seen the Classic Artists documentary DVD? Superb. The 3 disc set has a bonus CD of early material. Well worth looking out for. It's very cheap too.

Anybody seen the band since Norda Mullen took over? I had front row a couple years back. It's funny watching the band now with the younger studio drummer. He attacks the drums while Graeme Edge taps the drums. I'll give Graeme a break because he's like 70 but I don't think he could handle the show by himself.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 23 2012, 05:34 AM)
Anybody seen the band since Norda Mullen took over? I had front row a couple years back. It's funny watching the band now with the younger studio drummer. He attacks the drums while Graeme Edge taps the drums. I'll give Graeme a break because he's like 70 but I don't think he could handle the show by himself.

Yeah, saw them a few times, Norda is excellent, superb instrumentalist. Ray was a crap flautist, but I miss the singing waiter, as I would a favourite uncle who has passed on.

Not having Legend of a Mind or My Lady in the setlist sucks.

Graham does little onstage anymore, Gordon Marshall does all the main drumming.

Justin & John still give it their all though, they look like they keep themselves in good shape.

I would say the absolutely essential albums are:

On the Threshold of a Dream

In Search of the Lost Chord

Days of Future Passed

Those three are legendary, groundbreaking and beautiful - truly amazing music that should be heard by everyone!

All of their first 7 are amazing though, but here they all are in my order of favorites, the ones on the bottom being the least essential. Really, the only one that's not a necessity is Seventh Sojourn, and even that one is great:

1. On the Threshold of a Dream

2. In Search of the Lost Chord

3. Days of Future Passed

4. To Our Children's Children's Children

5. A Question of Balance

6. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

7. Seventh Sojourn

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 24 2012, 01:47 PM)
But who's going to comment on their 80's/90's stuff? I love that stuff. Songs like The Other Side Of Life and The Voice and Deep are excellent to me:)

The Voice is barely into the 80's, but it is one of the best songs ever by anyone. Unfortunately, it's by far the best thing on the album it came from. Similarly, songs like The Other Side of Life and some others are also very good, but beyond their initial run of 1965-1972, their consistency was spotty...

I'd suggest getting "In search Of the Lost Chord" first.

It's probably their best album.The others are great also.

All the Moody's albums are a must have for all Prog music fans.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 24 2012, 11:09 PM)
Those first seven albums are all very worthy, and while Silas' post was great, I would actually put Children's Children near the top; that is a top 3 Moodies album in my book. But, again, those first seven are all great.

Is that the album with Higher And Higher on it?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 24 2012, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 24 2012, 01:47 PM)
But who's going to comment on their 80's/90's stuff? I love that stuff. Songs like The Other Side Of Life and The Voice and Deep are excellent to me:)

The Voice is barely into the 80's, but it is one of the best songs ever by anyone. Unfortunately, it's by far the best thing on the album it came from. Similarly, songs like The Other Side of Life and some others are also very good, but beyond their initial run of 1965-1972, their consistency was spotty...

Gemini Dream is a great song as well from Long Distance Voyager. yes.gif

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 24 2012, 11:39 PM)
Yes. The flow of that record is simply immaculate. Songs like Beyond, Out and In and Gypsy are just so badass. cool.gif

To Our Children's Children's Children is amazing. I rate it 4th, partially because the 3 I rate above it are some of the best albums of all time, and otherwise because of 2 words:

"butterfly sneezes"

unsure.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

if you've heard the album, you know what i'm talking about - that particular poem doesn't work at all, but the rest of the album is out of this world. yes.gif

• Like 1