Diets

Gompers

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 24 2012, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 24 2012, 11:03 AM)
100 Days of Real Foods

I found this on Pinterest, and thought you might be interested GG.

Nice...thanks for posting! trink39.gif

You're welcome...totally random hit, and thought I'd share.

I'm looking forward to trying some things from there too GG!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 24 2012, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 24 2012, 10:03 AM)
100 Days of Real Foods

I found this on Pinterest, and thought you might be interested GG.

Yes, I love that site. I got the whole wheat cookie recipe from there. smile.gif

I've been using more whole wheat flour in my baking, but depending on the ratio of whole wheat to white (if using a mix of both), it can make the result a bit chewy and tough. I'm getting used to it, but sometimes it's not so great.

I like this blog:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

A lot of her recipes are vegan (I am not) but she has some decent stuff that is healthy and natural. My only criticisms are some of the ingredients are tough to find (coconut oil) and her portion sizes are quite tiny in cookie recipes. I think I made her peanut butter cookies onetime and the whole recipe was supposed to make like 25or something? I was lucky to get half of that by time I got done spooning the portions out, meaning the cookies were not 50 calories each! Oh well. I follow her on FB so she shares her recent posts and I usually check them out.

My favorite are her single-serving recipes, like the chocolate cake that can be made in a mug and the microwave, and the Single Lady Cupcake. So perfect if you have a craving but don't want to make, or eat, the WHOLE recipe. She also has a good banana bread recipe.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 15 2012, 10:24 AM)
... doing cardio on an empty stomach ...

Now this is interesting. I've been curious about this and the effectiveness of it actually burning fat more significantly than exercising on, well, not an empty stomach. I read an article which mentioned it about a year ago, and the argument was that the body's glycogen stores were relatively low compared to when they have been built up after eating (obviously with all of the energy and ATP production). Because of this, the body burns through the stored energy in glycogen faster (since there is less of it) and proceeds to burn fat sooner, and can therefore burn more of it in a given period of exercise time.

Food for thought (no pun intended -- okay, maybe it was) but I've always wondered... Do you believe it has made a significant difference for you?

Edited by Show Don't Tell

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jul 15 2012, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 15 2012, 10:24 AM)
... doing cardio on an empty stomach ...

Now this is interesting. I've been curious about this and the effectiveness of it actually burning fat more significantly than exercising on, well, not an empty stomach. I read an article which mentioned it about a year ago, and the argument was that the body's glycogen stores were relatively low compared to when they have been built up after eating (obviously with all of the energy and ATP production). Because of this, the body burns through the stored energy in glycogen faster (since there is less of it) and proceeds to burn fat sooner, and can therefore burn more of it in a given period of exercise time.

Food for thought (no pun intended -- okay, maybe it was) but I've always wondered... Do you believe it has made a significant difference for you?

I generally try to have a small bit of something in my stomach, usually 1/2 of a protein bar, before rigorous cardio. I interval train often, or tempo train, for upwards of an hour. If I start on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, it's a guaranteed bonk. Crashing out like that does not do your metabolic processes any favors either.

Just my experience - your mileage may vary.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 16 2012, 02:36 PM)
Diets don't work because the body responds to the sudden lack of food by going into fat-saving starvation mode.

Don't forget though, that dieting by not eating is not the same as a person's diet. Altering the types of foods eaten is where the fix is. You can eat, but focus on the proper foods will yield success.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 16 2012, 01:44 PM)
Diets don't work because the body responds to the sudden lack of food by going into fat-saving starvation mode.

Don't forget though, that dieting by not eating is not the same as a person's diet. Altering the types of foods eaten is where the fix is. You can eat, but focus on the proper foods will yield success.

Well I don't speak from experience I'm one of those skinny bastards. biggrin.gif Though I do know people who have done allsorts of diets and failed...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 16 2012, 01:36 PM)

yes.gif

This is exactly right. The body is programmed to react to your diet as it would to famine, storing what fat you have and whatever fat you're ingesting.

One-third of all women and one-quarter of all men are on a diet right now, and 95% of them will regain whatever weight they lose, and usually gain more. It's called yo-yo dieting: up and down, up and down, like Oprah. You'll lose weight and keep it off by eating healthy, eating right, not by "dieting."

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 16 2012, 02:50 PM)

Well I don't speak from experience I'm one of those skinny bastards. biggrin.gif

No shit. Judging from the pics I've seen of you, you can easily take shade beneath a flagpole. Do you even cast a shadow?

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 17 2012, 08:58 AM)
My "diet" has become a variation on what Michael Pollan espouses:

*Eat FOOD (real food, not low-fat, not low-carb, not sugar-free).
*Don't eat too much. Enjoy, and take your time.
*Eat mostly plants.

That's it. I feel really great and I'm not bloated or puffy anymore. I think I've lost some weight but I don't weigh myself, so...I do know my clothes are getting loose. I drink a LOT of water because I crave it. Otherwise, I'm enjoying my food more than ever, and I eat REAL food.

trink39.gif

I love that, from his short book "Food Rules." He gets into more detail throughout the book's 70 pages, but it boils down to those beautifully simple seven words: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

And by "food" he means REAL FOOD, not what most people CALL food, which is actually food-like substances processed in factories.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 16 2012, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 17 2012, 08:58 AM)
My "diet" has become a variation on what Michael Pollan espouses:

*Eat FOOD (real food, not low-fat, not low-carb, not sugar-free).
*Don't eat too much.  Enjoy, and take your time.
*Eat mostly plants.

That's it.  I feel really great and I'm not bloated or puffy anymore.  I think I've lost some weight but I don't weigh myself, so...I do know my clothes are getting loose.  I drink a LOT of water because I crave it.  Otherwise, I'm enjoying my food more than ever, and I eat REAL food.

trink39.gif

I love that, from his short book "Food Rules." He gets into more detail throughout the book's 70 pages, but it boils down to those beautifully simple seven words: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

And by "food" he means REAL FOOD, not what most people CALL food, which is actually food-like substances processed in factories.

What if, like me, the list of plants you enjoy eating is very short?

And includes a lot of really expensive things? (Artichokes).

And things with a very short season? (Cherries. Also see "expensive").

I suppose there ARE actually a lot of plants I like to eat, but they tend to fit into one or both of the categories above. Peas are an exception, but they must be perfectly cooked. I will not eat them mushy.

Don't get me started on the organic vs. non-organic. Penn & Teller nailed that one, IMO.

I'm going to replace the grill and try grilling more vegetables (refuse to say "veggies". Anyone over the age of 4 sounds silly saying "veggies". I hate that word).

I truly think I'd enjoy a wider variety if I prepared them on the grill. For example, I like steamed or roasted asparagus, but LOVE it off the grill. Thoughts?

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 16 2012, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 16 2012, 02:50 PM)

Well I don't speak from experience I'm one of those skinny bastards. biggrin.gif

No shit. Judging from the pics I've seen of you, you can easily take shade beneath a flagpole. Do you even cast a shadow?

I'm wiry!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 18 2012, 11:31 AM)
Why don't you just make your own meat? Buy a cow, raise it, kill it, repeat. confused13.gif

Wow, what a totally do-able suggestion! laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 18 2012, 12:07 PM)
Why don't you just make your own meat? Buy a cow, raise it, kill it, repeat. confused13.gif

And you're not limited to cows either, you can get pigs, chickens, sheep, maybe even dogs, rabbits, etc

The opportunities are endless!

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 18 2012, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 18 2012, 12:07 PM)

And you're not limited to cows either, you can get pigs, chickens, sheep, maybe even dogs, rabbits, etc

The opportunities are endless!

eyesre4.gif

So, back on topic then.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 18 2012, 01:07 PM)

Well, we DO live in the South! So of course we all keep livestock in the backyard, don'tcha know.

I do know people who do that very thing, though - have a steer or maybe a pig every year that they raise for slaughter and their own consumption. I have been told that there's nothing quite like it.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 18 2012, 12:57 PM)

Well, we DO live in the South! So of course we all keep livestock in the backyard, don'tcha know.

I do know people who do that very thing, though - have a steer or maybe a pig every year that they raise for slaughter and their own consumption. I have been told that there's nothing quite like it.

Can't give them names though. Once you become attached, it's all over.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 19 2012, 06:31 AM)

Nonsense. I'll kill anything with a name if I'm hungry.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 18 2012, 04:31 PM)

This is what we shall call the "Larry the lobster" phenomenon. (From a very old SNL episode.)

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2012, 03:16 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 19 2012, 06:31 AM)

Nonsense. I'll kill anything with a name if I'm hungry.

Even Snoopy?

I was away on business this past week. Ate nothing but junk on the fly for the most part and took up the plentiful free drink opportunities. As a result, I feel like crap and my clothes are tight tight tight. Looking forward to eating green things again for sure.