Favorite Band

CruisingInPrimetime

Is Rush your all-time favorite band?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rush your all-time favorite band?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 6 2012, 06:45 PM)
The Beatles are IT in my book. Rush, on most days, occupies second place.

I consider The Beatles to be the most important and most influential band in history, but they're not my personal favorite if for no other reason than there are several bands I listen to a lot more often. Still, they're easily in my top 10 and their value cannot be understated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 6 2012, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 6 2012, 06:45 PM)
The Beatles are IT in my book. Rush, on most days, occupies second place.

I consider The Beatles to be the most important and most influential band in history, but they're not my personal favorite if for no other reason than there are several bands I listen to a lot more often. Still, they're easily in my top 10 and their value cannot be understated.

Music is so closely tied to experience and emotion.

The Beatles broke up when I was 4. Rush, on the other hand, was literally the soundtrack to my high school and college years. Moving Pictures came out when I was 14. Perfect.

So Rush means much more to me because of the associations in my memory.

It is pretty amazing though, that I have never owned a Beatles album, but I probably know 30 of their songs by heart. A testament to their greatness, for sure. But it's not associated in the same way.

Yes, Rush edges out Genesis by a wee bit.

I adore Genesis: 2007 was a banner year for us G-fans, though it was bittersweet as we knew this would likely be the last tour for them. We went down to LA and took our daughter, who was raised on Prog rock, we saw the last 2 shows. They were amazing!

But Rush, whom I have always been a fan of (well, since 1979) and who I had lost touch with for years, came back into my life at a time of grief and loss. They pulled me back out of that deep, dark hole. And I will be forever grateful. yes.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 6 2012, 02:06 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Apr 5 2012, 09:14 PM)
But with Pink Floyd, David Gilmour's voice just gives me the chills. There is only one Rush song that has done that, Red Sector A.

David Gilmour's voice gives you chills on Red Sector A? confused13.gif

tongue.gif

Seriously though, the Floyd were something special - they were masters of creating atmosphere.

Yeah, that's what I was looking for. Atmosphere.

Every sound has a purpose. None are there for no reason or just because they sound good. They all contribute to the target mood.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 7 2012, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (Checkster2112 @ Apr 6 2012, 07:45 PM)
Hard to say. Limiting myself just rock (jazz is on another level for me), its probably Radiohead, then Rush, then Zepplin.

i've been listening to more jazz lately. you want to talk about amazing drummers...wow

Elvin Jones...

Tool, Muse, Dave Matthews Band, Yes, Genesis, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, John Mayer (don't judge me), Queen, U2, 311, Dream Theater, Barenaked Ladies.....

Rush is still on top in my book.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 6 2012, 07:52 PM)
Well it used to be REO Speedwagon until I discovered RUSH!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Then you heard S&A and they still were ohmy.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 7 2012, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 6 2012, 07:52 PM)
Well it used to be REO Speedwagon until I discovered RUSH!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Then you heard S&A and they still were ohmy.gif

METALDAD's favorite band are a thrash metal band called Lords of Laceration, their latest album is Snakes and Arrows Killer...

1022.gif

I could vote Maybe or Sometimes wink.gif

In my opinion, some Queen albums of '70s are as good as best Rush albums of the same age... but Queen convinced more people to taste them wink.gif

Honestly? No, they're not my all-time fave.

AC/DC and Cheap Trick are. Yes, both are tied for number one! put a gun to my head and I couldn't choose between the 2.

so, since AC/DC and CT are both #1, RUSH is my #2.

biggrin.gif

Suppose I should explain my choices smile.gif

AC/DC- always loved them, but when I was 12 my brother gave me "Dirty Deeds..." on tape. By the end of that first day, I knew all the words to all the songs.

By the end of that first week of owning the album, an entire wall in my bedroom was covered in AC/DC pictures.

No band has ever, EVER EVER EVER, made me feel so complete. After the very 1st listen of Dirty Deeds, I threw away my entire CD case. I didn't need any other music. That album literally changed my life, gave me an identity and taught me more about myself than I ever knew.

I love every single song they have recorded. I bleed lightning bolts. "Diehard fan" is certainly an understatement.

CHEAP TRICK- the first band I EVER loved! Back in 1st grade I went around school, singing their songs smile.gif

I LOVE CHEAP TRICK. words cannot describe. I own all their albums <3

seen them the most live, met them too. Such genuine guys, great musicians and wonderful showmen.