All those 80's classic music videos?

Tom Sawyer

Where are they...

Do you remember stayin' up all night partying, watching MTV 24/7 'tween 1982 and 1988 with all those classic rock videos, Heart - nothin' at all, Who will you run too. U2 - I still haven't found what 'm looking for. Whitesnake - Here I go again. Paul Simon - You can all me Al. Peter Gabriel - Sledghammer. ZZ Top - Gimme all your lovin'. Billy Idol - Eyes without a face. Van Halen - Jump. -- And as they say...many, many, many more...

So how come someone isn't releasing these out on DVD sets? confused13.gif

It seems to me they could make a fortune.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MTV is but a shadow of what it once was, at least in terms of videos.

I got MTV in 1981 VERY shortly after it came out, if not when it came out. The very early days of MTV consisted of maybe 50 videos or so played over and over again since that was all they had! Naturally, that number increased exponentially over time, but in the beginning you couldn't miss certiain videos by Golden Earring, Rainbow and A Flock of Seagulls played constantly. Also, it was all about the VJ's - 5 of them who had their shifts and would sometimes introduce videos and give news. Even throughout the 80's period mentioned above, they still would regularly play older videos, unlike now where if it's more than 6 months old, it's ancient history. Also, they had to get creative in the early days since pepole weren't use to making videos, so they would show promotional things like Queen's Bohemian Raphsody that was now a "video" and they would take Rush concert clips and make those into videos too!

It was totally a fun period, and while most of the music they played in the 80's wasn't really my cup of tea, it was still fun. I'd rather watch 100 Rock Me Amadeus's over 1 50 Cent Candy Store (yuck) video any day, but it's way in the past now. Now videos are shown late at night or during strange hours on MTV and VH1 and it's all about the programming of regular shows like now, almost like a regular network. Thankfully for me though, I like a lot of the programming that VH1 and MTV has (Surreal Life, Celebrity Fit Club, Real World, Road Rules, 100 greatest...., When .... Ruled the World, etc.), so that's cool.

I've been thinking the same thing recently! I'd love to have several hours of early/mid 80s videos; even just a recording of the show, commercials and all, would be really cool The closest I've been able to get is tapes I made of VH1's The Big 80s and Pop-Up Video when they did 80s specials. I've since lost the tapes, though fists crying.gif VH1C shows some good older videos, but I only get to see them when I fly JetBlue.

It's a good thing MTV isn't what it used to be. We sat for hours like mindless, hypnotized, drooling zombies watching videos. My kids would be vegetables if MTV was now like it was back then! We used to stay up on Friday nights to watch the Midnight Special, too. Looking back makes my heart ache a little.

old.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jun 2 2005, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (slacker @ Jun 2 2005, 01:13 PM)
VH1 Classic....

They have some great stuff on there. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yup, I usually get to see at least one Rush video on my Boston to LA JetBlue flights.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 2 2005, 11:05 AM)
It's a good thing MTV isn't what it used to be. We sat for hours like mindless, hypnotized, drooling zombies watching videos. My kids would be vegetables if MTV was now like it was back then! We used to stay up on Friday nights to watch the Midnight Special, too. Looking back makes my heart ache a little.

old.gif

...you make it sound like a bad thing.. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Hypatia @ Jun 2 2005, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jun 2 2005, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (slacker @ Jun 2 2005, 01:13 PM)
VH1 Classic....

They have some great stuff on there. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yup, I usually get to see at least one Rush video on my Boston to LA JetBlue flights.

NICE trink39.gif

For my sister, it was the Headbanger's Ball. I'm still not sure if she preferred the Adam Curry or the Ricky Rachtman era. Considering she was into big hair on men, probably Adam Curry, although I think Ricky was a better host.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Jun 2 2005, 05:26 PM)
For my sister, it was the Headbanger's Ball. I'm still not sure if she preferred the Adam Curry or the Ricky Rachtman era. Considering she was into big hair on men, probably Adam Curry, although I think Ricky was a better host.

Yes, Adam appeared to more of a Duran Duran man. Ricky was all hair and leathah, baby!

1022.gif

Oh, man what a blast from the past!

I was a freshman in high school when MTV debuted and it was a constant barrage of Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, Duran Duran, Dire Straits (who had the first music CD), Pat Benatar. I even saw a fair amount of Rush Videos. It was a headier time just because it was something new.

Edited by war2112

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Jun 2 2005, 12:07 PM)
Where are they...

Do you remember stayin' up all night partying, watching MTV 24/7 'tween 1982 and 1988 with all those classic rock videos, Heart - nothin' at all, Who will you run too. U2 - I still haven't found what 'm looking for. Whitesnake - Here I go again. Paul Simon - You can all me Al. Peter Gabriel - Sledghammer. ZZ Top - Gimme all your lovin'. Billy Idol - Eyes without a face. Van Halen - Jump. -- And as they say...many, many, many more...

Boy I remember those days. That was the best decade for music and the best days of my life. Get me a time machine and I am back there again.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jun 6 2005, 12:24 AM)
Wait? MTV actually played music?! laugh.gif

ahhhh the good ol dayz unsure.gif

i miss em sad.gif

Any of you Brits out there remember 'Music Box' starting some time around midnight on the mid-80s, especially 'The Power Hour' with Dante Bonutto from Kerrang! (they actually played both The Body Electric and Enemy Within on there).

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Jun 6 2005, 07:01 AM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Jun 6 2005, 12:24 AM)
Wait? MTV actually played music?!  laugh.gif

ahhhh the good ol dayz unsure.gif

i miss em sad.gif

I know how you feel. Life was more simpler and easier then too. Compared to now, living in those days, it was like eating a piece of cake everyday.

Howard Jones:

Thomas Dolby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IlHgbOWj4o

George Harrison: (yes, in the 80s.....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJvxjcY3Xcc

The Moody Dudes: smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6-j9pxTGI

Eddie Money:

Fastway!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcacRHcQLGw

Posion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfxsuRP3LU

Whitesnake: (yeah, the one with Tawny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTiwCez6Zs

Enjoy the schmaltz!

And the hair.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 2 2005, 10:33 PM)
Dire Straits - Money for nothing
A-Ha - Take on me
Rush - Distant Early Warning

I remember seeing them all the time on New Music.

Love all 3 of those vids!

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Jun 2 2005, 09:07 AM)
Where are they...

Yeah I sure miss those days man. Staying up late watching Muchmusic videos (in those days it was worth watching). unsure.gif goodpost.gif

I was watching in the very early days, around the clock. If I was awake, I was at my friend's house - we didn't have cable.

Back then, "Stand Back" by Stevie Nicks and "Come Dancing" by the Kinks were in heavy rotation, also "She Blinded Me With Science," "Don't Pay the Ferryman," "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This," songs by Men at Work, and lots and lots of Michael Jackson, Culture Club, and Def Leppard - whose career was made by MTV.

And I loved the one-hit wonder New Wave acts: Kajagoogoo, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Madness, etc.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I remember watching MTV when I was a teen every time I got together with my friends. That was when they played music videos. Why do they call it MTV now?

This is my favorite music video. Anything they need stuntmen to film has to be good.

Chicago, 'Stay The Night'