Rush Books

Powderfinger

I recently finished Jon Collins's Chemistry. I thought it was quite good! I only disagree with the author's treatment of Signals, which I would be happy to elaborate on in a subsequent post.

Earlier today I downloaded Chris McDonald's Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class onto my Kindle. On one hand, I want to ask if anyone has an opinion on it. On the other, I don't want anyone to ruin it for me. I fully understand it is an academic study, and not a standard appreciation of Rush's music. As an academic myself, I'm okay with this. The reviews on Amazon were mostly positive. Those who didn't like it tended to complain about its scholarly tone.

Are there other books on Rush worth recommending?

Even though it's an "Authorized" book on RUSH, Contents Under Pressure by Martin Popoff is a must have, IMO. It's not available on Kindle, but this one you really need to own because of the full color pictures. There is a chapter on each album, including the live ones, that gives little stories from the guys on making the album, touring etc. It ends with a chapter on the 30th Anniversary Tour. It's a very easy and quick read and the pictures are incredible. Alot of the photos were by Andrew MacNaughtan, RUSH's long time photographer, who recently passed away, and he also did the editing. I always suggest it to any new fan who wants to read about RUSH, but even if you are not a new fan and already know alot of the history and have read Chemistry, which I liked too, you should get this one based on the cool stories that come right from the guys to the amazing pictures. It's almost like a mini tour book but with all the albums.

2.gif

Another cool book is Roadshow by Neil. It's really great to go thru a tour with Neil as he rides his motorcycle from show to show. It's got some really cool stories and I know alot of people get on Neil for not being "fan friendly" but he really makes up for it with his books, IMO. Of course if you are offended by his religious views, you may take offense to some of it, like his recounting of all the church signs around the country with different slogans, but I found it a fascinating insight into Neil and what it's like to be on tour for him. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did because it's a "travelogue" but I ended up blowing right thru it quickly.

NeilFinal.gif

Those are my two recommendations.

Edited because of bad english!

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

It's funny to read at the end of Contents Under Pressure, how much the band was satisfied with The Vapor Trails's cd after reading all the negative reviews of that cd on Rush Forum. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 2 2012, 10:30 AM)
Even though it's an "Authorized" book on RUSH, Contents Under Pressure by Martin Popoff is a must have, IMO. It's not available on Kindle, but this one you really need to own because of the full color pictures. There is a chapter on each album, including the live ones, that gives little stories from the guys on making the album, touring etc. It ends with a chapter on the 30th Anniversary Tour. It's a very easy and quick read and the pictures are incredible. Alot of the photos were by Andrew MacNaughtan, RUSH's long time photographer, who recently passed away, and he also did the editing. I always suggest it to any new fan who wants to read about RUSH, but even if you are not a new fan and already know alot of the history and have read Chemistry, which I liked too, you should get this one based on the cool stories that come right from the guys to the amazing pictures. It's almost like a mini tour book but with all the albums.

2.gif

Another cool book is Roadshow by Neil. It's really great to go thru a tour with Neil as he rides his motorcycle from show to show. It's got some really cool stories and I know alot of people get on Neil for not being "fan friendly" but he really makes up for it with his books, IMO. Of course if you are offended by his religious views, you may take offense to some of it, like his recounting of all the church signs around the country with different slogans, but I found it a fascinating insight into Neil and what it's like to be on tour for him. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did because it's a "travelogue" but I ended up blowing right thru it quickly.

NeilFinal.gif

If it isn't available on Kindle, how come I've got it..?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 2 2012, 07:34 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 2 2012, 10:30 AM)
Even though it's an "Authorized" book on RUSH, Contents Under Pressure by Martin Popoff is a must have, IMO.  It's not available on Kindle, but this one you really need to own because of the full color pictures.  There is a chapter on each album, including the live ones, that gives little stories from the guys on making the album, touring etc.  It ends with a chapter on the 30th Anniversary Tour.  It's a very easy and quick read and the pictures are incredible.  Alot of the photos were by Andrew MacNaughtan, RUSH's long time photographer, who recently passed away, and he also did the editing.  I always suggest it to any new fan who wants to read about RUSH, but even if you are not a new fan and already know alot of the history and have read Chemistry, which I liked too, you should get this one based on the cool stories that come right from the guys to the amazing pictures.  It's almost like a mini tour book but with all the albums.

2.gif

Another cool book is Roadshow by Neil.  It's really great to go thru a tour with Neil as he rides his motorcycle from show to show.  It's got some really cool stories and I know alot of people get on Neil for not being "fan friendly" but he really makes up for it with his books, IMO.  Of course if you are offended by his religious views, you may take offense to some of it, like his recounting of all the church signs around the country with different slogans, but I found it a fascinating insight into Neil and what it's like to be on tour for him.  I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did because it's a "travelogue" but I ended up blowing right thru it quickly.

NeilFinal.gif

If it isn't available on Kindle, how come I've got it..?

Really? I didn't see it on Amazon. Are you talking about Contents Under Pressure? You must have it because you are Babycat and a party animal and are very special...that is all I can think of!? confused13.gif tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

"my love" blush4.gif

NICE! I believed you!!...but I like the fact that you took a pic! laugh.gif

But if you don't have that one in it's book form, you are missing out with the great color pics. yes.gif

Edited to say: I just figured it out...you got it on Amazon UK didn't you?

Amazon US doesn't have it on kindle? Contents Under Pressure on Amazon US wtf.gif

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 2 2012, 12:52 PM)
"my love"  blush4.gif

NICE!  I believed you!!...but I like the fact that you took a pic!  laugh.gif

But if you don't have that one in it's book form, you are missing out with the great color pics.  yes.gif

Edited to say:  I just figured it out...you got it on Amazon UK didn't you?

Amazon US doesn't have it on kindle?  Contents Under Pressure on Amazon US wtf.gif

Amazon UK, yes.gif smile.gif

Book, no.gif sad.gif

I can't access Amazon US, unfortunately. b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 2 2012, 09:03 AM)
It was put out in the late 80's, but Visions is a great book if you can find it. Check your local used bookstores, keep an eye on eBay, it pops up every now and then.

http://www.amazon.com/Rush-Visions-The-Off...30696947&sr=8-1

I actually had a copy of this, and forgot all about it. I have no idea where it ended up, but it is no longer in my possession. I remember liking it, even if it was a little thin.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 2 2012, 05:30 AM)

2.gif

NeilFinal.gif

Thank you so much for taking time to recommend these books. I'll take a look at both of them. Does Neil's book discuss playing live, or is it more an account of the "spaces in between"?

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 2 2012, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 2 2012, 09:03 AM)
It was put out in the late 80's, but Visions is a great book if you can find it. Check your local used bookstores, keep an eye on eBay, it pops up every now and then.

http://www.amazon.com/Rush-Visions-The-Off...30696947&sr=8-1

I actually had a copy of this, and forgot all about it. I have no idea where it ended up, but it is no longer in my possession. I remember liking it, even if it was a little thin.

I had it 10 years ago, and it's gone. Probably, my mother throw it away in the garbage! fists crying.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 1 2012, 10:49 PM)
I recently finished Jon Collins's Chemistry. I thought it was quite good! I only disagree with the author's treatment of Signals, which I would be happy to elaborate on in a subsequent post.

Earlier today I downloaded Chris McDonald's Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class onto my Kindle. On one hand, I want to ask if anyone has an opinion on it. On the other, I don't want anyone to ruin it for me. I fully understand it is an academic study, and not a standard appreciation of Rush's music. As an academic myself, I'm okay with this. The reviews on Amazon were mostly positive. Those who didn't like it tended to complain about its scholarly tone.

I just ordered Chemistry from Amazon....USED. Not a bad price.

Thanks All!

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 1 2012, 08:49 PM)

The previously mentioned Contents Under Pressure is quite good and has lots of great photos.

I also have Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class on my Kindle. I found it very interesting, especially when the author writes about the music, in addition to the lyrics.

Rush and Philosophy is another one I enjoyed. It's several different essays by different authors collected into one book.

And, of course, Neil's books are good. Roadshow is the one that talks about the band and tour, so it's the more popular one.

Happy reading!

QUOTE (RUDT @ Mar 2 2012, 05:37 AM)
It's funny to read at the end of Contents Under Pressure, how much the band was satisfied with The Vapor Trails's cd after reading all the negative reviews of that cd on Rush Forum. confused13.gif

ph34r.gif

Here we go...

QUOTE (kevorkazito @ Mar 30 2012, 04:26 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 2 2012, 05:30 AM)

Another cool book is Roadshow by Neil. 

I didn't know about that one... it's already in my Amazon cart.

My favorite part of this excellent book is the one where he meets a big movie star. (Don't want tell which right now)

In rating the "biography" type books on Rush, I always weigh the accuracy of the information along with the length and quality of writing. "Visions" by Bill Banasiewicz holds up pretty well, especially in the ACCURACY department. (Many biographies which followed were chockful of errors of FACT.) Two problems with the B-Man's book are: it's written on, like, an 8th-grade reading level, and Bill insists on inserting HIMSELF into the narrative too often. (I went to Neil's house, I went flying with Alex, I went backstage at the the Philly concert, I went bowling with the whole band and crew, etc.) Another problem, and this isn't Bill's fault, is that it was written in 1986 and a lot has happened since then.

Enter Jon Collins with "Chemistry," a nice update to the "Visions" story. It could be a lot longer and more in-depth, but overall it's pretty good. Some factual errors, but Jon at least acknowledged them later on a website. Like the OP, I don't always see eye-to-eye with Jon's reviews/comments on the various Rush albums, but they're just his opinions and should be read as such.

Neil's books are too long on "travel" and too short on "information about Rush" for my taste, but "Traveling Music" had a good share of the latter, so it's my favorite of his.

I'm also one of those handful of people who enjoy the more "scholarly" books about Rush. (I think a band like Rush deserves such treatment!) I adored Carol Selby Price's book interpreting Neil's lyrics, "Mystic Rhythms: The Philosophical Vision of Rush." I had just a couple minor quibbles with a couple of her interpretations; I think overall it was a very good book. I also just received "Rush and Philosophy" but haven't delved into it too much; so far, it looks like another good one.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 30 2012, 08:22 AM)
In rating the "biography" type books on Rush, I always weigh the accuracy of the information along with the length and quality of writing.  "Visions" by Bill Banasiewicz holds up pretty well, especially in the ACCURACY department.  (Many biographies which followed were chockful of errors of FACT.)  Two problems with the B-Man's book are: it's written on, like, an 8th-grade reading level, and Bill insists on inserting HIMSELF into the narrative too often.  (I went to Neil's house, I went flying with Alex, I went backstage at the the Philly concert, I went bowling with the whole band and crew, etc.)  Another problem, and this isn't Bill's fault, is that it was written in 1986 and a lot has happened since then.

Enter Jon Collins with "Chemistry," a nice update to the "Visions" story.  It could be a lot longer and more in-depth, but overall it's pretty good.  Some factual errors, but Jon at least acknowledged them later on a website.  Like the OP, I don't always see eye-to-eye with Jon's reviews/comments on the various Rush albums, but they're just his opinions and should be read as such. 

Neil's books are too long on "travel" and too short on "information about Rush" for my taste, but "Traveling Music" had a good share of the latter, so it's my favorite of his.

I'm also one of those handful of people who enjoy the more "scholarly" books about Rush.  (I think a band like Rush deserves such treatment!)  I adored Carol Selby Price's book interpreting Neil's lyrics, "Mystic Rhythms: The Philosophical Vision of Rush."  I had just a couple minor quibbles with a couple of her interpretations; I think overall it was a very good book.  I also just received "Rush and Philosophy" but haven't delved into it too much; so far, it looks like another good one.

If you like the academic stuff you might like the book I'm currently reading: Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class: Dreaming in Middletown by Chris McDonald. It's based on McDonald's dissertation. I'm not that far into it, as I'm currently working on a couple of other books that demand greater attention. But I like it so far...