Ok Rush haters... so it's Geddy's voice?

Soni

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Jan 25 2012, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (Queslington @ Jan 25 2012, 09:53 PM)
I love Geddy's voice, but my opinion doen't really count because my other favorite voices are James LaBrie, Ronnie James Dio, Maynard James Keenan, and Les Claypool. unsure.gif

I love Ronnie James Dio's voice!

But your opinion matters as much as any other opinion on this forum, although some would like to believe otherwise. ohmy.gif

Claypool = 1022.gif .

Love that his voice is steeped in irony.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geddy's voice is polarizing - it's just the way it is. Some people just can't get past it.

My perspective, however, is that it's been more blessing than curse. I think a large portion of why they have enjoyed the popularity they have is BECAUSE of the distinctiveness of his voice.

So while I believe it's kept them from even greater heights of stardom, it's also been what propelled them to where they did get to. It's a conundrum, that's for sure!

I believe there are 2 things that have held this band back from reaching the level of popularity, like say a band like U2 or Zep. Ged's voice, and Neil's lyrics.

Thats just the way it is. Way too many people out there that dont like either, but considering the career theyve had with 2 things so many people consider to be odd, thats really saying something. Few bands with weird lyrics and a singer that many people hate would never get nearly as far as Rush did.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 27 2012, 09:43 AM)
I believe there are 2 things that have held this band back from reaching the level of popularity, like say a band like U2 or Zep. Ged's voice, and Neil's lyrics.

Thats just the way it is. Way too many people out there that dont like either, but considering the career theyve had with 2 things so many people consider to be odd, thats really saying something. Few bands with weird lyrics and a singer that many people hate would never get nearly as far as Rush did.

not sure on this, at least from a U2 stand point. they really went after a pop market. and they have always been very outspoken for causes in their lyrics and public profile. Ill go with the Ged voice factor more than his lyrics. While it may be common here to be irked by his lyrics, I think its a small minority of the fan base as a whole

It's mostly Geds voice, but also just the sound of some Rush doesn't appeal..especially to people my age (20) rofl3.gif . Anyways, Rush is also above many average minds lyrically and especially musically. Rush is the greatest and if you don't know your just missing out.. 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif Edited by GeddyLeeFender

Those people that don't like Geddy's voice don't have to listen to Rush. However, they can't deny that Rush is one of the all-time greatest rock bands, just because they don't like his voice.

If someone hates this band for that reason, I'm going to assume that he/she has a slight mental handicap.

Long live 2.gif

My ex-wife didn't like early Rush (pre-PeW) but liked pretty much everything from that point on, especially the 90s stuff and S n A. As time has gone on and Ged's voice has lowered in range, she's liked him and the band by extension more and more. She's really the only person I've ever met that liked his lower range stuff but not the higher range early songs.

My present gf's sister, my gf and I were all sitting waiting for REO to come on stage this past summer and lo and behold, Spirit of Radio comes over the PA and of course I'm rockin' away and singin' along and she asks me who the band is. She's been a country fan most of her life (she's 64) so outside of the real biggies like The Beatles, Stones, etc. she's not gonna know any rock music. I told her it was Rush and she knows what a fan I am and she was pleased to finally put a song with the band I talk about a lot. So she listens for a while and my gf, who is fast being converted, is bobbing along and tapping her foot too....TSOR is one of her fav Rush tunes, not surprising for a Rush noob. So the sis finally says, "I don't really like it". So of course I say "why?". Her response: "They're too instrumental". Nothing about Ged's voice, just really too virtuostic for her. Not surprising in that as a country fan, she's used to a more straightforward approach to music.

I also have a cousin (age 45) who doesn't like Rush. AC/DC is her favorite band and I asked her why she doesn't like Rush and her response was "They're just too all over the place. There's too much going on." Again, a more basic, linear type of music suits her too.

Bottom line, I think there's a reason that Rush has been called a "musician's band". I'm sure a lot of us here on this forum are "music freaks" and whether we play or not, we're at least musicians in our hearts and minds and thus a more complicated, virtuostic band like Rush is one we're going to "get" more readily than the average person.

Edited by driventotheedge