IFFY RUSH SONGS THAT HAVE GOOD BITS IN THEM

tas7

Thought I'd start a topic on those Rush songs that people aren't sure about but have good bits in them.Here's a few to start with;

Nuerotica; awful chorus but awesome middle bit that is classic Rush

Animate Me; middle bit with Alex soloing

Time and Motion;again middle eight

Warpaint; the chorus

After Image; the reggae verse .

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 9 2012, 06:01 PM)
Dude...you are listing good songs period other than Nuerotica which is a mediocre song.

nah, he only listed two good tracks (T&M and Afterimage)

it's been my experience that Tasmanian Rush fans have funny taste, though...

Not saying the tracks are good or bad. Rush songs are complex compositions, as a guitarist I find playing a whole song can be intense.But there are songs, many of them later Rush songs where some parts stand out better than the rest of the song.

Another example is the last song on Roll the Bones, wish they had binned that "The odds get even" bit as it ruins the song.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Jan 9 2012, 04:16 PM)
Thought I'd start a topic on those Rush songs that people aren't sure about but have good bits in them.Here's a few to start with;

Warpaint; the chorus

You list 5 songs, but 3 of them aren't properly titled in your post, and 4 of them are favorites of mine.

We're not friends anymore tongue.gif

Neurotica

Animate

Afterimage

Early morning here in Tasmania and my keyboard is misbehaving. I'm being mis interpeted here.I'm just listing Rush songs where they have parts that are stronger than the rest of the song.Rush songs tend to have many riffs and chord structures in the one song.

Rush have realised this themselves I think,just look at recent live performances; doubling the awesome chorus in Natural Science, and putting the chorus at the end of The Analog Kid.

I dont know about those particular songs, but I do agree that alot of their stuff since, oh, Presto, have contained some awesome musical sections, followed by some less than stellar parts. I also agree that the chorus' is where they usually run into trouble. Im not sure most of their first 5 or 6 albums even had a chorus! lol

Just to disprove the "after Presto" theory:

A Cinderella Man

A Doing what you can

A They can't understand

B What it means

A Cinderella Man

A Hang on to your plans

C Try as they might

B They cannot steal your dreams

In the betrayal of his love he awakened) 062802puke_prv.gif

Digital Man:

great majority of the song (awesome 6/8 and swing reggae sections!), but the straight-8th ending "he's got a force field and a flexible plan" detract from an otherwise really solid song

I'd be embrassed to introduce a would-be Rush fan to "Tears".

And I won't even mention old classic stinker sections like "Return of the Prince" or pretty much the whole debut album...

But yeah, speaking of heresy, Heresy is strong until "yes I guess we could/should/would"... comp26.gif

EDIT: oh yeah, In The End... smooth intro, blah most of the rest of the song, drags on for almost 7 minutes. schla03.gif

Edited by psionic11

Aye, Bravest Face flip flops between good and iffy. I edited it to remove some of the repetitive parts, and it's much stronger.

It's really a new area they started to explore, and had a lot of potential. But I think the majority of us fans look to Rush for energy and speed, not so much slower, bluesy nuggets...

True, but it's so easy nowadays to smoothly cut out parts and mix and match...

Was it Pags or someone else who made that Rush compilation? It's a bit lengthy, and shows what can be achieved with editing. But the main point is, it's a quickie to fix or blend various Rush song parts into custom "re-mixes".

For example, I have a Freewill edit without the banshee wails after the solo when I'm not in the mood or environment to broadcast screeching vocals.

Rush has so much rocket juice that once in awhile a bad batch is bound to come forth, because tastes vary so much. Ain't nothing better than taking what you like and putting it all together for easy access.

Like good food. trink36.gif

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jan 9 2012, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (tas7 @ Jan 9 2012, 04:16 PM)

Warpaint; the chorus

You list 5 songs, but 3 of them aren't properly titled in your post, and 4 of them are favorites of mine.

We're not friends anymore tongue.gif

Now, kids play nice - it's a breath mint AND a candy mint wink.gif

Music is subjective. Repeat as needed.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jan 10 2012, 12:25 AM)
Aye, Bravest Face flip flops between good and iffy. I edited it to remove some of the repetitive parts, and it's much stronger.

It's really a new area they started to explore, and had a lot of potential. But I think the majority of us fans look to Rush for energy and speed, not so much slower, bluesy nuggets...

One of my biggest disappointments with SnA. Slow tempos(too many), blues, folk. Not what I was looking for to say the least. I think they will redeem themselves with CA.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jan 10 2012, 12:58 AM)
Just to disprove the "after Presto" theory:

A Cinderella Man
A Doing what you can
A They can't understand
B What it means

A Cinderella Man
A Hang on to your plans
C Try as they might
B They cannot steal your dreams

In the betrayal of his love he awakened) 062802puke_prv.gif

Digital Man:
great majority of the song (awesome 6/8 and swing reggae sections!), but the straight-8th ending "he's got a force field and a flexible plan" detract from an otherwise really solid song

I'd be embrassed to introduce a would-be Rush fan to "Tears".

And I won't even mention old classic stinker sections like "Return of the Prince" or pretty much the whole debut album...

But yeah, speaking of heresy, Heresy is strong until "yes I guess we could/should/would"... comp26.gif

EDIT: oh yeah, In The End... smooth intro, blah most of the rest of the song, drags on for almost 7 minutes. schla03.gif

Nope you're wrong, just didn't mention the few before Presto.

I really like the last section of the In the End guitar solo. Don't really care for the rest of the song.

I much prefer the verses to the choruses in Lessons.

Cinderella Man gets off to a rockin' start but kinda bores me the rest of the way.

At the other end of the spectrum, Grand Designs waits until its final thirty seconds or so to get my head nodding.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jan 9 2012, 11:58 PM)

angry.gif

Return Of The Prince is some of the best 3+ minutes of music Rush ever made. Lerxst has some mindblowing fretwork in that one. I can't fathom how someone wouldn't love that. Then again, I can't fathom how people like pop music.

The debut album simply ROCKS. Agreed, there are some less than stellar tunes on it, but I would rather listen to it than any album after MP.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jan 10 2012, 07:10 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jan 9 2012, 11:58 PM)

And I won't even mention old classic stinker sections like "Return of the Prince"  or pretty much the whole debut album...

angry.gif

Return Of The Prince is some of the best 3+ minutes of music Rush ever made. Lerxst has some mindblowing fretwork in that one. I can't fathom how someone wouldn't love that. Then again, I can't fathom how people like pop music.

The debut album simply ROCKS. Agreed, there are some less than stellar tunes on it, but I would rather listen to it than any album after MP.

1000 % agree...the 1st one with Rutsey on kit, KICKS ASS.