I Love KISS!

rushgoober

I am listening to Dressed To Kill now 1022.gif

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 30 2011, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 29 2011, 11:26 PM)
I hate KISS......!

they used to be my favorite band but I grew out of it.

I was 9.

I don't grow out of music I like.

You sound like a guy I went to high school with. In 1984 we were both big Maiden fans and picked up Powerslave and loved it. Bonded over music. A few years later I bumped into him and it was around the time of another Maiden record and since I had that memory I asked him if he'd picked it up and his reply was "nah, man, I grew out of that metal stuff."

Lame and pretentious.

I agree. How the Fu*k do you out grow music ? You out grow skateboarding and collecting comics and baseball cards. Music ? You were never a fan in the first place

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 30 2011, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 30 2011, 06:23 AM)
I hate KISS......!

I was 9.

You sound like a guy I went to high school with. In 1984 we were both big Maiden fans and picked up Powerslave and loved it. Bonded over music. A few years later I bumped into him and it was around the time of another Maiden record and since I had that memory I asked him if he'd picked it up and his reply was "nah, man, I grew out of that metal stuff."

Lame and pretentious.

Honestly, for the most part I grew out of metal. I used to be REALLY into it when I was a young teen. Then I found genres I liked better that I hadn't known about or wasn't ready for previously, and I kind of dropped out. I still love Kiss, I'll still occasionally put on Screaming for Vengeance and a couple of other albums, but otherwise I did legitimately grow out of it. I don't mean that to put anything down, but sometimes people really do just move on, or have a natural progression or evolution of tastes.

I'm just taking a cheap shot at Kiss by referring to them as a kid's band, don't worry they can handle it.

I can still listen to a few older songs like 'Rocket ride' and I even own 'Kiss meets the phantom' but for me it's all just about nostalgia. I would never consider them decent or creative musicians.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 30 2011, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 30 2011, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 30 2011, 06:23 AM)
I hate KISS......!

I was 9.

Lame and pretentious.

Honestly, for the most part I grew out of metal. I used to be REALLY into it when I was a young teen. Then I found genres I liked better that I hadn't known about or wasn't ready for previously, and I kind of dropped out. I still love Kiss, I'll still occasionally put on Screaming for Vengeance and a couple of other albums, but otherwise I did legitimately grow out of it. I don't mean that to put anything down, but sometimes people really do just move on, or have a natural progression or evolution of tastes.

I'm just taking a cheap shot at Kiss by referring to them as a kid's band, don't worry they can handle it.

I can still listen to a few older songs like 'Rocket ride' and I even own 'Kiss meets the phantom' but for me it's all just about nostalgia. I would never consider them decent or creative musicians.

I think Kiss got the "Creative" thing down wink.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 30 2011, 09:46 AM)
I hate KISS......!

I was 9.

Lame and pretentious.

I agree. How the Fu*k do you out grow music ? You out grow skateboarding and collecting comics and baseball cards. Music ? You were never a fan in the first place

Who said I outgrew music??? I said I outgrew Kiss

Yeah I was a fan. Mostly of their image, their costumes, and yes their comic books! (I was 9!) and then I grew out of that shit. I think it was the first Van Halen album that did it.

They were discovered by Gene weren't they..? Kinda funny

Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 30 2011, 10:57 AM)
I hate KISS......!

I was 9.

Lame and pretentious.

Yeah I was a fan. I was a fan of their image, their costumes, and yes their comic books! (I was 9!) and then I grew out of that shit. I think it was the first Van Halen album that did it.

Did you ever go back and listen to the songs now? Some real heavy stuff

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 30 2011, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 30 2011, 10:57 AM)
I hate KISS......!

I was 9.

Lame and pretentious.

Yeah I was a fan. I was a fan of their image, their costumes, and yes their comic books! (I was 9!) and then I grew out of that shit. I think it was the first Van Halen album that did it.

Did you ever go back and listen to the songs now? Some real heavy stuff

No but maybe I'll have to dig out my old vinyl and give'em a spin for old times. I have Destroyer, Dressed to Kill, Love gun, And a few others.

I remember 'Doctor Love' was my favorite tune back in the day tongue.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 30 2011, 11:46 AM)

goodpost.gif

I agree.

For example, the first band I truly 'liked' was Nirvana back in Grade 6. They got me listening to music. There were guys I went to school with that were ultra-obsessed with them...more than I ever was. Then I see them like 3-4 years later, and they talk about how they hate them and whatnot.

These days, I don't listen to Nirvana as much as I did back then, but I still enjoy listening to their stuff, and put in the albums once in awhile. Anything I liked then, I still do. (Let's not make this a 'Nirvana-bashing' thread...I'm just using this as MY personal example.)

Bottom line is, I've always been a firm believer that if I liked a certain song or band, chances are...I will always like them. I never understood how someone could LOVE a song so much, and all of sudden hate it. Crazy! 20 years from now, I still plan to be blasting 'Freewill' and loving it as much as I do today. 1022.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 30 2011, 12:09 PM)
No but maybe I'll have to dig out my old vinyl and give'em a spin for old times. I have Destroyer, Dressed to Kill, Love gun, And a few others.

Yes, you should!! KISS rocks!

Their last album 'Sonic Boom' was fantastic as well! Give it a try! 1022.gif

I hate KISS......!

I was 9.

Based on this you should have outgrown RUSH by the time you were 12, all prog and metal by the time you were 15, alternative rock by 17, 99% of jazz-fusion/jazz rock by the time you were 19 and now you should only listen to Bartok, Debussy, Liszt, Rachmaninoff Chopin, Mozart, Charlie Mingus, Cannonball Adderley, Johnny Coltrane, Wayne Shorter and Keith Jarrett.

No Miles Davis though he incorporated too much juvenile rock in his music...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 30 2011, 11:09 AM)
maybe I'll have to dig out my old vinyl and give'em a spin for old times. I have Destroyer, Dressed to Kill, Love gun, And a few others.

You should........

Almost Human

Goin Blind

Ladies In Waiting

Strange Ways

Heavy Shit.......... 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 30 2011, 01:24 PM)
I hate KISS......!

I was 9.

Based on this you should have outgrown RUSH by the time you were 12, all prog and metal by the time you were 15, alternative rock by 17, 99% of jazz-fusion/jazz rock by the time you were 19 and now you should only listen to Bartok, Debussy, Liszt, Rachmaninoff Chopin, Mozart, Charlie Mingus, Cannonball Adderley, Johnny Coltrane, Wayne Shorter and Keith Jarrett.

tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

I hate KISS......!

I was 9.

tongue.gif

I was going to say much the same thing. trink39.gif Isn't prog just adolescent, geeky teen stuff by kids too lame to get laid? The Dungeons & Dragon crowd? I mean, that's sort of the prog equivalent to Kiss being "for kids" isn't it? wink.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 30 2011, 04:04 PM)
I hate KISS......!

I was 9.

tongue.gif

I was going to say much the same thing. trink39.gif Isn't prog just adolescent, geeky teen stuff by kids too lame to get laid? The Dungeons & Dragon crowd? I mean, that's sort of the prog equivalent to Kiss being "for kids" isn't it? wink.gif

Aye...

trink39.gif

I just heard Music from the Elder for the first time. It's actually a pretty great album. Well, I mean not every song is stellar (that can be said for any Kiss album), but an overall high quality is maintained. I can definitely see why Paul Stanley said it was a very good album if it was another group who made it, but a bad one for Kiss (I'm paraphrasing). Still, I'm happy they made it - a very cool album. The instrumental track, Escape from the Island, was a particular standout, but really there are many great, enjoyable songs. It got sucky reviews, and it followed Unmasked, so I never checked it out, but I should have. yes.gif 1022.gif Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 30 2011, 10:47 PM)
I just heard Music from the Elder for the first time. It's actually a pretty great album. Well, I mean not every song is stellar (that can be said for any Kiss album), but an overall high quality is maintained. I can definitely see why Paul Stanley said it was a very good album if it was another group who made it, but a bad one for Kiss (I'm paraphrasing). Still, I'm happy they made it - a very cool album. The instrumental track, Escape from the Island, was a particular standout, but really there are many great, enjoyable songs. It got sucky reviews, and it followed Unmasked, so I never checked it out, but I should have. yes.gif 1022.gif

Right on Gary!! There is HOPE!!!!!

"The Elder" is EPIC!!!!!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 1 2011, 01:04 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 30 2011, 10:47 PM)
I just heard Music from the Elder for the first time.  It's actually a pretty great album.  Well, I mean not every song is stellar (that can be said for any Kiss album), but an overall high quality is maintained.  I can definitely see why Paul Stanley said it was a very good album if it was another group who made it, but a bad one for Kiss (I'm paraphrasing).  Still, I'm happy they made it - a very cool album.  The instrumental track, Escape from the Island, was a particular standout, but really there are many great, enjoyable songs.  It got sucky reviews, and it followed Unmasked, so I never checked it out, but I should have. yes.gif 1022.gif

Right on Gary!! There is HOPE!!!!!

"The Elder" is EPIC!!!!!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

I've always liked The Elder, I don't why there's a problem with it. It's got a lot of good songs on there. The concept is pretty cool. It's a solid release. The only problem might be that Ace is pretty detached from the project and recorded his parts separately in his own studio.

He didn't like the direction the band were going in and he wasn't happy in the band once Peter was out. One reason for this was he always felt like it was always Gene and Paul against him when it came to decision making after that. Eric Carr didn't have a vote as band member who wasn't a full partner in the KISS business so he was always outvoted 2 to 1.

Anyway The Elder for me is a good album but I think a lot of people like to create parameters for certain bands and if they break out of those boundaries they are condemned and the work dismissed out of hand. I'm pretty sure half the people who disparage the album haven't even heard it.

Hey wait a minute, everyone likes to talk about the 5th Beatle, usually George Martin, but what about the 5th KISS member???

Bob Kulick!

He auditioned for the band in 1973 before Ace Frehley, he played on KISS ALIVE II on the studio side on three songs, played on Paul's 1978 solo album, all the new songs on Killers and also played on Creatures of the Night! Surely Bob is the fifth member of KISS?

I used to be a huge KISS fan. I mean, I had all their albums, a lunchbox, a towel.... it was insane. But I drifted away when I got into Prog. Not saying I "outgrew" them, I just went elsewhere with my musical tastes. I sold a lot of the stuff I had - how I wish to HELL I could have seen ebay on the horizon.... b_sigh.gif

Saw them live twice; once on the Unmasked tour and then on the first one without Ace & Peter. I still have the Double Platinum CD and songbook. And a copy of "Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park" blush4.gif And I still listen now and then.

Also recently read Ace's book. Quite interesting - he's a real character. He and Peter were always my favorites.

Anyone who thinks you can't out grow a band needs to talk to someone who listens to top 40. What's considered 'good' changes daily with these people!