My eyes have seen better days

Tom Sawyer

Okay, look here, you see, I'm 48. I went to a Optometrist a couple years ago, after buying a set of 1.75 readers and the first thing he said was "How old are you"? - "I'm 46"... "yeah, that's about the age I start seeing people.

Evidently my sight is diminishing further and further.

I can usually see fonts a foot away at or above 10pt but smaller... need the readers.

Anyone else a lost sightseer like me. cool.gif

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Nov 4 2011, 10:55 AM)
Okay, look here, you see, I'm 48. I went to a Optometrist a couple years ago, after buying a set of 1.75 readers and the first thing he said was "How old are you"? - "I'm 46"... "yeah, that's about the age I start seeing people.

Evidently my sight is diminishing further and further.

I can usually see fonts a foot away at or above 10pt but smaller... need the readers.

Anyone else a lost sightseer like me. cool.gif

Yes, it's a familiar story. It happened to both me and my husband at the same age, about 46. It sounds like you're normal. At our age it's important to see an optometrist every year or two, more often if you've had a sudden change. Hope this helps.

Yes, and considering I'm 28, it scares me even more.

About 6-7 years ago when I was at the Optometrist, he stated that my eyesight was "better than 20/20". He stated it was that good.

Fast forward to last year, I visited him again, and now needed glasses for long distances, and watching TV (I was having trouble seeing the small print).

Sometimes, I feel like it keeps getting worse. I'm in a bowling league, so I usually have to wear glasses, otherwise the pins are a complete blur.

It feels like this happened overnight...I honestly think that my exposure to computer monitors may have something to do with it. I currently use TWO monitors at work...and I feel like it has become worse over the past few years I've been here.

Either way...it worries me alot...

I wear "reading glasses." I have astigmatisms in both eyes and one eye is really bad but generally, my eyesight is fine. I just see a "ghost" to alot of images and can't look at things with fine details because I can't make anything out. I used to wear my glasses all the time but with the kids, I stopped wearing them because they kept reaching for them. My oldest got a hold of them and messed them up... bad. So, I just endure at this point. Like I said, my eyesight is fine to get by without wearing glasses. I imagine I can start wearing them again once the youngest gets old enough to not care about the glasses on my face.

Adding....

You could not pay me enough to get lasik surgery OR wear contacts.

This is one of the worst things about getting older. I had 20/17 vision growing up. I could read a street sign from a block away. now if something is closer than 12 inches I can't focus on it at all. This is causing issues reading menus, labels any kind of small print that can't be seen from more than 12 inches away. Sunny likes to "help" and asks if I need her to hold the menu if my arms aren't long enough to hold it out. Isn't she helpful?

I went to the store to get a watch battery today. I couldn't read the number on it so I went to the pharmacy section and had to use the reading glasses to read it. Great, now I know what battery I need to buy and went back to the batteries. Guess how small the writing is on the watch battery packages? If you said F***ing miniscule, you win! So I take a package that I think had the correct number on it back to the pharmacy section to get the reading glasses, again. Guess what? It wasn't the right battery. So. This time I'm a little wiser to the packaging scheme of the battery manufacturers. I take the reading glasses with me. Ha, gotcha you tiny number makers. I'm standing at the battery rack with the reading glasses on (which by the way still have the plastic pricing and magnification tab sticking up) and I get my battery. I also put the glasses back where they came from.

By this time I am pretty sure the store security was watching me and I paid as quick as possible and left.

Damn, getting old is rough.

I had to break down and get bifocals last year. I work in front of a computer, and the strain was getting bad. My optometrist noted how I had bravely held out tongue.gif I got transitions, so it's not obvious I'm a old.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 4 2011, 02:13 PM)
I had to break down and get bifocals last year. I work in front of a computer, and the strain was getting bad. My optometrist noted how I had bravely held out tongue.gif I got transitions, so it's not obvious I'm a old.gif

Bifocals!?

Awesome.

Grandpa.

laugh.gif

On a serious note... does computer use wreak havoc on ones eyesight? I notice that I have a really hard time reading things on the computer if the room is dim. I have to have bright lights on to see things clearly.

I've got a pair of transitions I wear around home. I havge HDTV and just slight less than 20/20 at 10 feet. I PAY for HD, so I want to see it really good. wink.gif

I've been using readers for about 4-5 years. My computer is a blur without them. I broke down and had my very first official eye exam a few weeks ago. I now have stronger prescription lenses for reading, but I still use the readers for the computer because it isn't close to my face. Oh, and I'm 46. Must be the magic age.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 4 2011, 04:21 PM)

Bifocals!?

Awesome.

Grandpa.

laugh.gif

On a serious note... does computer use wreak havoc on ones eyesight? I notice that I have a really hard time reading things on the computer if the room is dim. I have to have bright lights on to see things clearly.

ohmy.gif No grampa. I bought my step-son condoms not too long ago, just to be sure that doesn't happen! laugh.gif

Computer monitors can affect your eyes. Some people need to wear shaded lenses. I have two monitors on my work desk, so that's like Doublemint gum there.

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Nov 4 2011, 05:13 PM)

I've got a pair of transitions I wear around home. I havge HDTV and just slight less than 20/20 at 10 feet. I PAY for HD, so I want to see it really good. wink.gif

yes.gif

music.gif I want my HDTV music.gif

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/i_want_my_mtv-1.jpg

I'm turing 50 soon. Near-sighted, and it's getting worse. fists crying.gif

I have a 46" Sony Bravia HD television, and my couch is about ten feet away......and I need to put my glasses on to watch the show in fine detail. fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

But at least I can still read books just fine.... 1022.gif laugh.gif

My eyesight is so bad, I've worn glasses since I was four, but in the last year or so, I've noticed that, in addition to seeing poorly in general, I've gone from having to hold fine-detailed things right in front of my face to having to hold them about 10 inches away. I think I'm becoming farsighted in addition to the astigmatism. Yippee, but at least I'm used to the idea of wearing glasses.