Firefly

USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 18 2011, 07:07 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 18 2011, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 18 2011, 05:31 PM)
I just finished watching Serenity. The fact that main characters actually died shocked me. It was a very solid movie, a little weak at the beginning, but very strong at the end.

I still want to know how/why Shepard seems to be the most efficient killer (aside from River). I guess I'll never find out.

I know, right?? There are very few things that surprise me in movies anymore because it just all seems so... old hat, I guess. It's not that I can predict every plot point or development, it's just that when each beat happens, I'm like, "yeah, that was pretty much to be expected". Does that make sense?

That said, when <spoiler> got impaled and killed out of nowhere, that left me slack jawed and reeling. For so major a character to be killed so brutally and so suddenly was jarring. Very powerful scene.

<THIS POST IS A SPOILER>

After that scene, combined with the fact that Shepard had already been murdered by the Alliance, made the ending fights very powerful. I honestly believed the crew would get eaten by Reavers until River decide to go on a rampage. It's the first movie since Star Trek 11 that really threw me off and got me engaged in the plot.

It's more realistic if major "good guy" characters die as easily as minor bad ones. For sure.

In the case of Firefly/Serenity, I think they figured there wouldn't be anything afterwards in terms of sequels or a return to the small screen, so no harm offing a couple major good guys.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 18 2011, 04:31 PM)
I just finished watching Serenity. The fact that main characters actually died shocked me. It was a very solid movie, a little weak at the beginning, but very strong at the end.

I still want to know how/why Shepard seems to be the most efficient killer (aside from River). I guess I'll never find out.

It's pretty heavily implied that he was an operative in his past life.

As for "a little weak in the beginning"...

What about the sword scene? That was awesome.

Edited by Unattractive Truth

Been told I would love firefly for ten years and tried to watch it a couple of times but didn't get it. Watched serenity (the movie) the other day and now I'm catching up with the series. Wow, it really is good and I'm sorry I didn't get it sooner. Great characters and story lines.

Firefly is one of those series that you can watch quite a few times and pick up on things you missed. There are a lot of very subtle things all throughout the series and the movie.

I think the TV series blows the movie away. I was underwhelmed by the movie the first time I saw it, although I thought better of it after a recent re-viewing. I liked the bit where we learn how the Reavers became what they are.

Someone mentioned "Out of Gas" above... that might be my favorite episode. I love all the flashbacks, showing how each member of the crew was brought aboard. The episodes with Saffron ("Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Trash") are my other faves.

I think the TV series blows the movie away. I was underwhelmed by the movie the first time I saw it, although I thought better of it after a recent re-viewing. I liked the bit where we learn how the Reavers became what they are.

Someone mentioned "Out of Gas" above... that might be my favorite episode. I love all the flashbacks, showing how each member of the crew was brought aboard. The episodes with Saffron ("Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Trash") are my other faves.

Saffron.

:yes:

Saffron.

Or, YoSaffBridge

;)

And yeah, she's something else.

Out of Gas is probably my favorite. It's just brilliant.

IMO Firefly was a good solid show. Liked the move more but the show was definitely enjoyable.

Some here have compared it to Stargate SG-1 and / or Farscape. I will toss in my 2 cents on that and say that I liked both of those shows much more. Of course it was much better than Stargate Atlantis or the truly awful Stargate Universe (of course just about anything is better than that).

Not Josh Wedons best, but still darn good.

Saffron.

Or, YoSaffBridge

;)

And yeah, she's something else.

Out of Gas is probably my favorite. It's just brilliant.

For me it was Arial. Out of Gas was fantastic too but the fact that there was a core planet as a setting for Arial is jut a touch better for me. I really wish they had more of a chance to show off the core.

:musicnote:

Take my love

Take my land

Take me where I cannot stand

I don't care I'm still free

You can't take the sky from me

Take me out into the black

Tell 'em I ain't coming back

Burn that land and boil the sea

You can't take the sky from me

Have no place I can be

Since I found Serenity

You can't take the sky from me...

:musicnote:

• Like 2

Jaynestown.

That's your favourite episode? This must be what going mad feels like. :P

No, just my favourite that hadn't been mentioned yet.

But Jayne is may favourite character, so any episode with lots of Jayne is good for me.

Jaynestown.

But Jayne is may favourite character, so any episode with lots of Jayne is good for me.

Not sure if you picked up on it...I was quoting a line from the episode...

Jaynestown.

Not sure if you picked up on it...I was quoting a line from the episode...

Don't worry, I got that...I was just expanding on my original answer

Here's Serentity's cameo in the Battlestar Galactica mini-series/pilot. Firefly is (was) a wonderful show. I dragged my feet for eleven years before watching it knowing I would just be disappointed with the premature ending. I was. I have yet to purchase Serenity (I will as several have testified to it's power) but the same hesitance still holds sway today. I am disappointed, but only at its tenure not its writing. Quite enjoyable. I had a similar feeling after watching Caprica. They cut it off just when it was getting really good.

Just like Firefly.

:cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMHQjaxfpE

• Like 2

Netflix went too far with their April Fool's jokes. They had the label "NEW EPISODES" on top of Firefly. For a split second I believed, and that's how I remembered what day it was.
  • Like 1

Firefly is (was) a wonderful show. I dragged my feet for eleven years before watching it knowing I would just be disappointed with the premature ending. I was. I have yet to purchase Serenity (I will as several have testified to it's power) but the same hesitance still holds sway today. I am disappointed, but only at its tenure not its writing. Quite enjoyable. I had a similar feeling after watching Caprica. They cut it off just when it was getting really good.

Just like Firefly.

I really think you can watch the series, and the movie, and get one (mostly) complete story. It's not perfect, but there's a fair amount resolved in Serenity.

I wish it had gone on longer, but I was satisfied with the ending. Hopefully you will be too.

Be sure to let us know.

Firefly is (was) a wonderful show. I dragged my feet for eleven years before watching it knowing I would just be disappointed with the premature ending. I was. I have yet to purchase Serenity (I will as several have testified to it's power) but the same hesitance still holds sway today. I am disappointed, but only at its tenure not its writing. Quite enjoyable. I had a similar feeling after watching Caprica. They cut it off just when it was getting really good.

Just like Firefly.

I really think you can watch the series, and the movie, and get one (mostly) complete story. It's not perfect, but there's a fair amount resolved in Serenity.

I wish it had gone on longer, but I was satisfied with the ending. Hopefully you will be too.

Be sure to let us know.

It doesn't really end, but that's the idea behind the main characters of the show. If their story had an end, it would be like killing off every protagonist. Shepard's story is so heavily hinted at that it's pretty easy to guess what happened. The only unresolved plot that I can remember is between Mal and Inara.

I'm happy that the series ends with nothing really changing overall. Makes for a fitting ending seeing how Mal views life/serenity.

Here's Serentity's cameo in the Battlestar Galactica mini-series/pilot. Firefly is (was) a wonderful show. I dragged my feet for eleven years before watching it knowing I would just be disappointed with the premature ending. I was. I have yet to purchase Serenity (I will as several have testified to it's power) but the same hesitance still holds sway today. I am disappointed, but only at its tenure not its writing. Quite enjoyable. I had a similar feeling after watching Caprica. They cut it off just when it was getting really good.

Just like Firefly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMHQjaxfpE

That is cool!! :cool:

Just like Firefly.

Be sure to let us know.

I concur. After watching the episodes and then the movie, one does not get the feeling that the story is seriously unresolved.

Just like Firefly.

Be sure to let us know.

I concur. After watching the episodes and then the movie, one does not get the feeling that the story is seriously unresolved.

Whedon did say in an interview somewhere that the ending was intentionally made so that viewers got the notion that things went on as they were, so there was some closure while at the same time going "HEY GUYS! If you buy this series we'd totally be down to use this as a launch pad to keep going"