I've got a question about the old school guys

treeduck

Have you noticed how you never see these guys on TV anymore?

No Laurel and Hardy, no Abbot and Costello, no Three Stooges, no Charlie Chaplin, no Lewis and Martin (Lewis has even been dropped from the telethon), no Harold Lloyd, no Buster Keaton...

These guys were on TV all over the place when I was a kid, nowadays they're never on, what gives?

confused13.gif

I've noticed that too, Duck - it seems that the programmers would rather show (mind-numbing) BGT, among other things, than show the classic legends of yesteryear...

I love Laurel & Hardy - have the big white boxset of their movies. Absolutely incredible!

I agree! Unfortunately, I think the attention of a lot of kids today would wander if there were no fancy special effects etc.

I remember when I was a kid they used to have Abbott & Costello movies on virtually every morning during the school holidays (usually preceded by Buster Crabbe in Flash Gordon oslt). I went out and bought Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein on dvd a year or two back. Still one of the most genuinely funny films I've seen biggrin.gif

http://movieclips.com/g3Qr-abbott-and-cost...where-are-they/

laugh.gif

Ratings. People just don't watch that stuff anymore.

I feel the same way about old cartoons. My kids have never seen a Flintstones episode on TV, which is amazing to me. It was such a unique show - the music, the voices, the concept. It was a work of art.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 27 2011, 08:15 AM)

I feel the same way about old cartoons. My kids have never seen a Flintstones episode on TV, which is amazing to me. It was such a unique show - the music, the voices, the concept. It was a work of art.

I'm sure there's still an audience out there for this stuff! But yeah I can't see many of the kids of today watching it...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 27 2011, 01:33 PM)

I'm sure there's still an audience out there for this stuff! But yeah I can't see many of the kids of today watching it...

We have a channel called Boomerang which just plays classic cartoons, The Jetson, The Flintstones, Tom and Jerry, Johnny Quest, Scooby Doo and tons of other stuff I would call classic.

My kids watch it whenever they can. They like it so much more than the new cartoons.

QUOTE (Albone2112 @ Sep 27 2011, 09:23 PM)
Actually The Three Stooges are shown on AMC and IFC halfway regularly. TCM will occasionally show Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costelly, and The Marx Brothers.

I don't see them here in the UK, and anyway it ain't like it used to be...

sad.gif

Edited by HowItIs

Face it duck-san, you're becoming an ancient, withered geezer with a soon to be old world sense of humour. Same here. A younger friend of mine (early 20s) and his gf highly recommended a comedien named Pablo Francisco to me a few years ago. They gave me a copy of some hour long stand up bit he did and told me that I'd laugh myself senseless. You see where this is headed....I didn't laugh once. Not once. Times change and so does what we find funny.

3 Stooges + Laurel and Hardy were[are] funny as hell.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 28 2011, 01:50 AM)
Face it duck-san, you're becoming an ancient, withered geezer with a soon to be old world sense of humour. Same here. A younger friend of mine (early 20s) and his gf highly recommended a comedien named Pablo Francisco to me a few years ago. They gave me a copy of some hour long stand up bit he did and told me that I'd laugh myself senseless. You see where this is headed....I didn't laugh once. Not once. Times change and so does what we find funny.

Aye it's true, there's a bunch of new comedians over here and they've sold about a zillion DVDs, sold out shows all over, appear on all the popular shows and they all suck ass!!

Laurel and Hardy and the stooges though I would have thought would have been funny to anyone...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 28 2011, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 28 2011, 01:50 AM)

Aye it's true, there's a bunch of new comedians over here and they've sold about a zillion DVDs, sold out shows all over, appear on all the popular shows and they all suck ass!!

Laurel and Hardy and the stooges though I would have thought would have been funny to anyone...

Yeah I agree, slapstick and the pain endured is funny. But the UNpopularity of those old comedies can't be completely blamed on reality tv shows, uncountable police dramas, and celebrity jackoff programs. And although we all still just want a few laughs, the way we tell and appreciate jokes is obviously different these days.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

During the summer, AMC was showing

the 3 stooge's, on saturday morning, from

8-10...haven't checked in awhile though,

so I don't know if they still are.

During the great depression,those shows were

made to get people's minds off their $ worries,

and LTAO..even if it was for only a few hrs.

Hollywood should do that again,imo.

We sure could use it.

QUOTE (Albone2112 @ Sep 27 2011, 10:23 PM)
Actually The Three Stooges are shown on AMC and IFC halfway regularly. TCM will occasionally show Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costelly, and The Marx Brothers.

and once in a great while TCM will show The Little Rascals

that WEEPWOW birthday cake Stymie made will stick with me forever...

"This might choke Arti but it ain gon choke Stymie"

"Don't call me Norman call me Chubsy Ubsy"

YUM YUM EAT EM UP!!!

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Sep 27 2011, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 27 2011, 01:33 PM)

We have a channel called Boomerang which just plays classic cartoons, The Jetson, The Flintstones, Tom and Jerry, Johnny Quest, Scooby Doo and tons of other stuff I would call classic.

My kids watch it whenever they can. They like it so much more than the new cartoons.

On a related note - I've got a Nintendo emulator on my Mac that lets my kids play games from 20 years ago, and they like them better than the modern games I've let them play.

Too often people in charge of media fall into the trap of thinking that anything new is better than everything old - and thinking that everyone agrees with them. They couldn't be more wrong.

was just reminded of why they might not be on TV anymore. I'm on Waitbook, and belong to a group called You know you're from Woodbridge NJ when"...

and someone posted a picture of our first CABLE TV BOX..12 pushbuttons one for HBO the rest for the 3 NYC stations, Channel 13 for PBS, ABC CBS NBC a local UHF channel (68 for Uncle Floyd...see Weird Al's UHF for more info lol)

Then we posted about favorite shows as either adults or kids

Lil rascals came up and we started posting LR YouTube clips

They were taken down by the Admin of the group as being

get this

racist...

Might this be another reason we don't see 'em anymore, too politically incorrect?

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Oct 11 2011, 09:40 PM)
Sigh....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383010/

ohmy.gif

Another remake movie. blah.

I don't know a lot about the 3 main actors. But, 2 of them aren't even American, which I find weird. It's all about the 3 actors when it comes to a movie like this, and I'm not impressed with the casting. Why does Hollywood always have to use model-type actors for homely roles.

It's either going to be kind of funny or the worst remake ever made. There is nothing to gain from doing a movie like this IMO.

Edited by Cowtothesky