Modern Take on Carl Sagan's Cosmos

The Owl

It's not on PBS, so I put the probability that it's going to suck at 40%. Wait, it's on Fox? Then the probability that it's going to suck goes up to 90%.

Every show - every show - that's on commercial television is supervised by the network, and I have zero faith in Fox (especially Fox, but any other for-profit network, too) to keep their damn hands out of the production - which is what shows of this type require.

Yeah, the McFarlane thing and it being on Fox is a bit touchy... but I'm willing to give it it's shot... if they are taking their time with it, and if Tyson and Sagan's widow are involved, I am sure it will be faithful to the spirit of the original series....

And I wouldn't be worried about fox pulling this due to any ratings issue... this is already be slated as just a 13 episode run that serves as a "sequel" to the original run.... so Fox isn't really taking much of a gamble putting this on the air knowing it is just a short and defined series... like the original..

I'd be more worried about Fox taking this past the 13 episodes and running with it and turning it away from the spirit of the original Cosmos.

Hey, just thought I'd resurrect this thread to bring yet another trailer for Cosmos 2: A Space-Time Boogaloo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb5tdqplTqQ

As long as Jar Jar Binks doesn't show up anywhere, I'm sure I'll be at least semi-cool with the whole thing. :huh:

EDIT: Oh right, Seth MacFarlane. Well, since this fandom often falls within the nerdy dudebro spectrum, I'm not going to even go there... unless he f**ks this up, in which case all rage will be unleashed. :yes:

Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes

Bumping up this thread 'cause it's tomorrow, yo.

:ranton: They better not f**k this up. Oh, if they f**k this up I'll be sooooo mad! Not that I'll ever think Seth MacFarlane isn't evil, but THEY'D BETTER NOT F**K THIS UP. :rantoff:

Not as big of a fan of Neil Tyson now as I was last time I participated in this thread. He's a bit full of himself but I am still going to try to watch it. These guys present too many things as fact that are based predominately on educated opinions and data that has a lot of gaps but they never disclose this. Still, this type of show is interesting and I do hope it is good.

Disappointment is the first word that comes to mind. First the annoying imagination ship then the cheesy cartoonish graphics when animating history. Expected far more in the year 2014. We all know first impressions are everything and they didn't make much of one tonight which could really hinder their ratings. They needed to grab you from the beginning and enthrall you to the end. Neither happened. Edited by alphseeker
  • Like 1

Well a lot of the episode borrowed elements from the original series. The ship of the imagination, the calender, a few parts were word for word the same as the original. Being simplified for a mass audience. I'm just glad something like this is actually airing on major channel Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 2

The science teachers I was working with today thought it was cool. But then, two are astronomer/physicists that spend their weekends watching occultation events, so... Edited by goose

Not as big of a fan of Neil Tyson now as I was last time I participated in this thread. He's a bit full of himself but I am still going to try to watch it. These guys present too many things as fact that are based predominately on educated opinions and data that has a lot of gaps but they never disclose this. Still, this type of show is interesting and I do hope it is good.

Tyson does get a bit carried away with himself, true. Some of the gestures in the premiere were a bit clownish. Sagan was often carried away, too, but his intentions seemed purer than this. I guess fame does different things to different people. :huh:

• Like 1

Tyson does get a bit carried away with himself, true. Some of the gestures in the premiere were a bit clownish. Sagan was often carried away, too, but his intentions seemed purer than this. I guess fame does different things to different people. :huh:

He was good on the show and it is scripted. I don't think he's a bad guy just very opinionated but it goes with the territory. Same can be said of Stephen hawking. I would have liked to have seen Michio Kaku get involved. He comes across well on tv and is a bit more diplomatic when someone doesn't agree with him.