Manners

Lost In Xanadu

I've been carpooling to work with a neighbor, and she talks about stuff I don't give a crap about (country music, lifetime movies, etc) and I'm ok dealing with that. Now that the summer is here - something she does that gets under my skin is when she wears sandals to work, she HAS to take them off in the car, at work, etc. At work it doesn't bother me because I don't have to deal with her often, but when I go down to her desk, her shoes are always off.

In my car - that's when it gets to me. It's my car, I don't want you putting your bare feet on my door or my seats or my glovebox. Do I say something or do I just wipe down the car everyday when I get home? laugh.gif

Please add your own things... I guess this could go under the heeby jeebies thread, but it doesn't scare me, and it doesn't piss me off, it just seems rude to me for her to do that in my car.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about lack of manners:

People who walk right past you while just sneering, staring and saying nothing.

People who let the door slam in your face just as you're walking up to it.

No please or thank you.

*grrrr*

On the floor wouldn't bother me. But feet are kinda gross, especially if they've been sweating into leather shoes. So no, I wouldn't want them on my seats or dashboard either.

Yeah... on the dashboard? Really? huh.gif

I have a real beef with bad manners these days. Call me old fashioned, but I still believe it's nice for men to hold the door for women, and I am teaching my son to do this. At work, I have had on several occasions a line of men walk in while I hold the door. It's never my intention to hold the door for them, but for a fellow female co-woker. But, they let me hold the door with not even a thank you or a nod. So.... I will say, as loudly as necessary, "After you, Your Highness." I usually get a dirty look in return. THIS is INCREDIBLY rude to me! angry.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 29 2011, 12:10 PM)
Yeah... on the dashboard? Really? huh.gif

I have a real beef with bad manners these days. Call me old fashioned, but I still believe it's nice for men to hold the door for women, and I am teaching my son to do this. At work, I have had on several occasions a line of men walk in while I hold the door. It's never my intention to hold the door for them, but for a fellow female co-woker. But, they let me hold the door with not even a thank you or a nod. So.... I will say, as loudly as necessary, "After you, Your Highness." I usually get a dirty look in return. THIS is INCREDIBLY rude to me! angry.gif

yes.gif

I don't really care, I hold it open for anyone. It does annoy me when there is no thank you afterward, or when you let someone merge on the road and they don't do the thank you wave.

My kids look like they have superpowered manners or something (but in reality - it's pretty standard) because they are being compared to other kids their age.

Slipping her sandals off is one thing, but putting them anywhere but on the floor is in poor tatse. I would politely ask she keep them off the dashboard.

People are rude these days.

I went to get a sandwich last week and a guy walked up to teh door at the same time as me. I opened the door for him to walk through. NO thank you or even a nod. I would have been ok with that except he walks up to the counter and starts ordering FIVE sandwiches. I was like WTF?? I almost said something to him, but you just never know these days.

You guys wanna see why Americans have a reputation in other countries as being ill-mannered pigs? Go to Costco, or any other warehouse buying club, on a weekend during Free Sample time. I've quit going on Saturday afternoons because it's disgusting.

People block aisles hanging out waiting for the meatballs mini quiches or whatever to finish cooking. They will not hesitate to ram someone with their cart to get to the front of the line. Then they grab, grab grab as many as they can without so much as thanking the sample lady.

The last time I went on a Saturday - and it was this incident that made me say, "That's it. No more" - someone was cooking hamburgers and cutting them into quarters for samples. One woman practically draped her muffin-topped self over the sample stand as she waited. Then she grabbed nearly all of them, cradling the extras against her body with one arm whilst using the other hand to alternately stuff her face and motion frantically to her companions to come share in her bounty.

It's like a freaking zoo at feeding time and I just can't watch it anymore.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 29 2011, 12:55 PM)
You guys wanna see why Americans have a reputation in other countries as being ill-mannered pigs? Go to Costco, or any other warehouse buying club, on a weekend during Free Sample time. I've quit going on Saturday afternoons because it's disgusting.

People block aisles hanging out waiting for the meatballs mini quiches or whatever to finish cooking. They will not hesitate to ram someone with their cart to get to the front of the line. Then they grab, grab grab as many as they can without so much as thanking the sample lady.

The last time I went on a Saturday - and it was this incident that made me say, "That's it. No more" - someone was cooking hamburgers and cutting them into quarters for samples. One woman practically draped her muffin-topped self over the sample stand as she waited. Then she grabbed nearly all of them, cradling the extras against her body with one arm whilst using the other hand to alternately stuff her face and motion frantically to her companions to come share in her bounty.

It's like a freaking zoo at feeding time and I just can't watch it anymore.

yes.gif x100

My wife and I said the same thing last time we were at Sam's on Sat afternoon. People were walking around like it was a buffet. We usually go first thing on Sun morning now before the crowds.

I'm perfectly fine holding the door open for anyone, but it really pisses me off (and I've noticed its usually the snobby popular girls who do this) when I'm obviously carrying a heavy load in both arms, and they just let the door close and I have to catch it with my foot. It is SO EASY to hold a door open and in just TWO SECONDS MORE I would be through the door. Come on.

My mother has taught me, way too often, that I should open the door for the ladies, and I typically do, but I sometimes wonder if today's women find it patronizing.

I was taught to stand up when a lady enters a room or she is about to sit at the table that I am seated at.

I still say "yes, ma'am" and "no, ma'am" to older women as well as "yes, sir" and "no, sir". I have learned however, that such statements do not work in the northeastern US. Women feel that it's condescending or makes them feel old. In the south, it's about showing respect to someone with authority.

Hey, I'm southern gentlemen...goddamnit! laugh.gif

My husband is the worst when it comes to manners. I don't think his parents taught him much in the way of politeness. I've asked him to hold doors open, open my car door, even kill spiders for me only to be met with, "Women's Lib." I find it incredibly rude. The thing is, I'm finding that same attitude from the general public. I think the most offended I have been was while pregnant and/or with my children. One time while I was pregnant (like, hugely pregnant) this woman waited until I came out a cafe door so I could hold it open for her and then no thank you or anything. Another time I had one child in a stroller and was carrying my newborn in his carseat and yet another woman waited for me to hold the door open for her. I could not believe it! I would give anything to get into the minds of these people to try and understand how the justify this level of rudeness. I don't know if people are simply clueless and have never been taught manners or what. One other time that sticks out in my mind is watching a young woman open a door and walk right on through without taking a look behind her to see that a very frail elderly tiny woman was in back of her and had this heavy door slam right on her. Oh and god love the teenagers who when walking in a pack will not budge for anything if anyone is in their way. Plus the people who walk by you and just scoul. Would it kill you to give a little smile and say hello?

I gotta say - maybe it was Disney making everyone happy or something, but an older couple got on the bus to go between parks and I got up and so did 4 other people to offer them seats. It made me smile.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 29 2011, 03:48 PM)
Oh and god love the teenagers who when walking in a pack will not budge for anything if anyone is in their way.

I've experienced that one. I just plowed them right over. laugh.gif

They were like "whoa, watch it dude" and I just laughed.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 29 2011, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 29 2011, 03:48 PM)
Oh and god love the teenagers who when walking in a pack will not budge for anything if anyone is in their way.

I've experienced that one. I just plowed them right over. laugh.gif

They were like "whoa, watch it dude" and I just laughed.

Yeah, I've given a few bruises to some upper arms with my elbows since sometimes I get tired of yielding and do the old elbow out arm flex.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 29 2011, 02:48 PM)
My husband is the worst when it comes to manners. I don't think his parents taught him much in the way of politeness. I've asked him to hold doors open, open my car door, even kill spiders for me only to be met with, "Women's Lib." I find it incredibly rude. The thing is, I'm finding that same attitude from the general public. I think the most offended I have been was while pregnant and/or with my children. One time while I was pregnant (like, hugely pregnant) this woman waited until I came out a cafe door so I could hold it open for her and then no thank you or anything. Another time I had one child in a stroller and was carrying my newborn in his carseat and yet another woman waited for me to hold the door open for her. I could not believe it! I would give anything to get into the minds of these people to try and understand how the justify this level of rudeness. I don't know if people are simply clueless and have never been taught manners or what. One other time that sticks out in my mind is watching a young woman open a door and walk right on through without taking a look behind her to see that a very frail elderly tiny woman was in back of her and had this heavy door slam right on her. Oh and god love the teenagers who when walking in a pack will not budge for anything if anyone is in their way. Plus the people who walk by you and just scoul. Would it kill you to give a little smile and say hello?

Manners really are disappearing from our society.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 29 2011, 04:29 PM)

Okay Janie? About your husband? How are his manners towards women-not-his-wife? Because my husband used to pull that "modern woman" shit on me as well.

I finally asked him in WHAT UNIVERSE does it make sense to treat total strangers with more respect and courtesy than he gives his own wife? He got better after that.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 29 2011, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 29 2011, 04:29 PM)

Okay Janie? About your husband? How are his manners towards women-not-his-wife? Because my husband used to pull that "modern woman" shit on me as well.

I finally asked him in WHAT UNIVERSE does it make sense to treat total strangers with more respect and courtesy than he gives his own wife? He got better after that.

He's like this with everybody. I think he's honestly clueless about manners and then when he's called out on shit, says something stupid like, "Women's Lib." He grew up with two brothers and a dad that is also lacking in manners. I'm trying my hardest to teach my boys about manners so they at least have common courtesy.

I was taught by my parent's to always open and hold door's

for the ladies, and also to be considerate of saying sir and maime, to older folks. That should be second nature for everyone..that's just being polite and respectful. Sometimes I fail in that regard, but I try not to.

We all make mistakes,and I've made a ton..I apologize to the RUSH

forum , if I've spoken rudely to anyone on here. I'm trying to change

my angry ways. I have no excuse for it, and I'm sorry...i'm guilty as

charged.

Edited by go2wrk@95974