Why "Twilight" series isn't my cup of tea

GeddyRulz

http://hackedirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/epic-win-photos-toilet-paper-win.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread derailed.

Now about James Patterson, a similarily great author like Rowling.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P2MGZcU24y8/Tg4qafJy0QI/AAAAAAAAAMg/l7lLsE6OrRc/s1600/lg-maximumRide.jpg

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 27 2011, 09:02 AM)
Thread derailed.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P2MGZcU24y8/Tg4qafJy0QI/AAAAAAAAAMg/l7lLsE6OrRc/s1600/lg-maximumRide.jpg

I wouldn't put Max and her friends on the same pedestal of awesomeness as the HP trio...

...but yes, that is an amazing YA series.

I think I read it during the years between the 6th and 7th Harry Potter books, because I had to do something to fill the time.. laugh.gif James Patterson is an incredible writer though. In fact, I have Cat and Mouse and Cross sitting in the bookshelf next to me.

I like how he can write really well for both age groups -- provide an entrancing and exciting, yet still very well-written, series to go in the YA section, and then a multitude more for the Adult section. Kind of a cool thing to grow up with.

Which brings me to another little point about Twilight and why it never really had that sort of success.. It's not really universal. Not a lot of teenage guys got into it (though I knew a few who did). It was geared towards girls. Harry Potter, on the other hand, while it was primarily geared towards kids and teens, ended up having universal appeal, I believe due to the fact that it had a great cast of supporting adult characters as well.

(Sorry, but the Cullens seemed a little (lot) off their rockers.)

It was about so much more than romantic relationships. In fact, I'd say it touched on just about every kind of relationship out there... between friends, enemies, requited and unrequited love, teacher and pupil, siblings, estranged family members, on and on.. Everyone could see themselves somewhere in there. Maybe it was a completely different world, or at least across the ocean for us U.S. folks, but you could see yourself there.

I can't see myself in Forks, WA falling for some ice cold dead guy and getting married at 18.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 26 2011, 11:16 PM)
And it's okay to think that.
To each his/her own. Whatever.
I'm obviously a rabid HP fan but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Twilight is not mine, for reasons I've stated, and for reasons others have stated.
But as I've stated elsewhere, opinion on writing is much like opinion on music -- everyone's going to have a very different idea of what is "good" or "bad". Of course, some of these comparisons are more popular than others (i.e. the idea that rock is far, far superior to rap or hip-hop, to use a musical example) but can we really say if one is valid or not..?

Goobs apparently likes Twilight despite being dubbed as VT's Voldemort and, you know, if it makes him happy, okay.
I think the bigger issue is trying to force one's opinions down another's throat.
(Which I'm guilty of on occasion... but I admit it.)

I just figured this out.

The strike text is your version of "subliminal guy".

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 27 2011, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 26 2011, 11:16 PM)
And it's okay to think that.
To each his/her own. Whatever.
I'm obviously a rabid HP fan but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Twilight is not mine, for reasons I've stated, and for reasons others have stated.
But as I've stated elsewhere, opinion on writing is much like opinion on music -- everyone's going to have a very different idea of what is "good" or "bad". Of course, some of these comparisons are more popular than others (i.e. the idea that rock is far, far superior to rap or hip-hop, to use a musical example) but can we really say if one is valid or not..?

Goobs apparently likes Twilight despite being dubbed as VT's Voldemort and, you know, if it makes him happy, okay.
I think the bigger issue is trying to force one's opinions down another's throat.
(Which I'm guilty of on occasion... but I admit it.)

I just figured this out.

The strike text is your version of "subliminal guy".

...I had to look that up. laugh.gif

But, you know, come to think of it, I do suppose that's a pretty accurate description. wink.gif

(Should that go in the "what have you learned about other TRFers?" thread..?)

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 27 2011, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 27 2011, 09:02 AM)
Thread derailed.

I wouldn't put Max and her friends on the same pedestal of awesomeness as the HP trio...

...but yes, that is an amazing YA series.

I think I read it during the years between the 6th and 7th Harry Potter books, because I had to do something to fill the time.. laugh.gif James Patterson is an incredible writer though. In fact, I have Cat and Mouse and Cross sitting in the bookshelf next to me.

I like how he can write really well for both age groups -- provide an entrancing and exciting, yet still very well-written, series to go in the YA section, and then a multitude more for the Adult section. Kind of a cool thing to grow up with.

Which brings me to another little point about Twilight and why it never really had that sort of success.. It's not really universal. Not a lot of teenage guys got into it (though I knew a few who did). It was geared towards girls. Harry Potter, on the other hand, while it was primarily geared towards kids and teens, ended up having universal appeal, I believe due to the fact that it had a great cast of supporting adult characters as well.

(Sorry, but the Cullens seemed a little (lot) off their rockers.)

It was about so much more than romantic relationships. In fact, I'd say it touched on just about every kind of relationship out there... between friends, enemies, requited and unrequited love, teacher and pupil, siblings, estranged family members, on and on.. Everyone could see themselves somewhere in there. Maybe it was a completely different world, or at least across the ocean for us U.S. folks, but you could see yourself there.

I can't see myself in Forks, WA falling for some ice cold dead guy and getting married at 18.

I like that series, too. smile.gif

CMWriter, I checked out that Blogging Twilight link....

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif joker.gif LOL.gif applaudit.gif 1022.gif

HILARIOUS!

Geez goobs, you act like it's wrong when folks agree in hating something that's popular. And, if they do agree then it's bashwagoning. I don't care that Titanic [for example] made heaps of money, or that people want to agree with my opinion, it'll always be crap.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 27 2011, 07:44 PM)

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif joker.gif LOL.gif applaudit.gif 1022.gif

HILARIOUS!

You've got to read it all the way through eventually! yes.gif

It just gets more and more hysterical. One time I was cracking up in front of my laptop so hard my sides were hurting and tears were spilling from my eyes. xD I always love those "prediction for the next chapter" at the end.

There's a reason Dan Bergstein is the unofficial GOD of Sparklife.

(Kat Rosenfield, AKA Auntie Sparknotes, is Goddess. |D)

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 27 2011, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 27 2011, 07:44 PM)

rofl3.gif  z7shysterical.gif  joker.gif  LOL.gif  applaudit.gif  1022.gif

HILARIOUS!

You've got to read it all the way through eventually! yes.gif

It just gets more and more hysterical. One time I was cracking up in front of my laptop so hard my sides were hurting and tears were spilling from my eyes. xD I always love those "prediction for the next chapter" at the end.

There's a reason Dan Bergstein is the unofficial GOD of Sparklife.

(Kat Rosenfield, AKA Auntie Sparknotes, is Goddess. |D)

Yes I was DYING during some of his snide remarks and comparisons. laugh.gif

The best was comparing Bella to a hamburger. rofl3.gif

I'm to the part where Bella's hiding from James right now. I'll finish up tomorrow. yes.gif

And then I'll have to read the HP one! Is that one a bash-review also? Is it as funny? I hope so! yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 25 2011, 06:10 PM)
Never read the books, but love the movies. Haters gonna hate...

This explains so much, and yet so little. I blame the LSD.

tongue.gif