Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Tony R

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 02:18 AM)
but it was just too heavy metal for me these days.

Stop the lies Goober and drop this 70s prog charade, it's gone on long enough. You're not this would-be prog guru. You do live in past but you're a METALHEAD in denial and nothing more! Just cos you lost your hair no need to be down on the rest of us! 1287.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 12 2012, 12:40 AM)

Stop the lies Goober and drop this 70s prog charade, it's gone on long enough. You're not this would-be prog guru. You do live in past but you're a METALHEAD in denial and nothing more! Just cos you lost your hair no need to be down on the rest of us! 1287.gif

1022.gif

eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 03:49 AM)

1022.gif

eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif laugh.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 12 2012, 03:56 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 03:49 AM)

1022.gif

eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif laugh.gif 1022.gif

Come on goobs, you are metal! 1022.gif

See I'd review this album but every song would get a ten laugh.gif

So I'm gonna just say why every song gets a ten tongue.gif

Grace for Drowning-well Goobs, you nailed it. Beautiful surreal introduction. It does have an oxymoronic modern/vintage feel to it. I think it does an excellent job of luring you in and by the time Sectarian starts I'm already beginning to zone out and enter the surreal world of music that is better than drugs cool10.gif

Sectarian-starts gentle but there is something amiss. Something cold, dark and distant. Like you're walking towards the light, only to find it's a rabbit hole. The musicianship is insane, especially the subtle drumming and the unique use of effects. This is the track that carries me away. Grace for Drowning just opened the door.

Deform to Form a Star-an absolutely beautiful introduction. It's beauty grows on you. It's like after the darkness of Sectarian there is this wub.gif and then the vocals come in, and o think that is the best vocal delivery Steven has ever given us. And great lyrics too. The song just builds and builds beautifully, up to the time signature change to 3 and then it has this beautiful triumphant ending.

No Part of Me-is a very unique song. I absolutely adore it and how it fades in and keeps building. It has this beautiful mystical aura that stands out even more especially if the rest of the album has drawn you in. The ending is unexpected and insane, and it segued nicely into the most beautiful Steven Wilson song ever recorded.

Postcard-some say it's Steven doing Coldplay. Not a bad thing at all, but I think this is much more. This is Steven utilizing the darkness surrounding this song (with Raider Prelude and the ending of No Part of Me) to make beauty stand out. The depressing lyrics fit the melody so well and it hits you like a ton of bricks. I think e song is about his father who passed away but whatever it's about it is absolutely lovely, especially the surprise choir.

Raider Prelude-some great ambience that foreshadows what is to come. It's like Postcard was leading you to an escape from the rabbit hole and right before you got out this sucks you back in. Now you're going to hell, but that's okay because hell never sounded this good!

Remainder the Black Dog-the way this track begins is so eerie. It's perfect. Extremely surreal and you can tell with the time sig you are in for some absolutely insane musicianship. Steve Hackett wub.gif says hello by tearing your soul out with his vicious guitar solos. This song is so dark and jazzy and perfect and it manages to retain its surrealistic qualities that transfer you into...

Belle de Jour-an absolutely gorgeous piece of music that does a great job of pulling you further into this eclectic world. It's so beautiful too.

Index-creepy as hell. If you have become absorbed in this album (which you should've been by now or you are doing it wrong) this can scare the shit out of you. Yet there is a strangely beautiful ending to this song? Yeah, weird. Intense stuff, very original.

Track One-Goobs, I love the intro to this track wub.gif it makes me feel like I'm in some haunted yet beautiful part of Europe and I love Europe! But then the gates of hell within hell open up and ahhhh run away but you can't because it sounds so good. Then beautiful guitar solo and then....

Raider II-uh-oh. You're barely conscious by now, and these occasional eerie piano parts are managing to keep you alive but uncomfortable. Then bam! Bari sax? Oh that sounds so good. This is so freaky and intense and even metal! 1022.gif but it's smart metal, no IQ points dropped! And that beautiful jazz part about 5 minutes in...brings to mind cool jazz mixed in with romantic medieval music or something. Then craziness. I don't know man, and then ambience, and then more craziness, and then the trippy feeling of "did I really hear that?" his track is insane.

Like Dust I have Cleared from My eye-this is just a beautiful track with some of the greatest lyrics ever...breathe in/breathe out, those three words mean so much to me. This song is like recovery after your brain and soul have been fried. And the ambient ending is perfect wub.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 12 2012, 12:27 PM)

Grace for Drowning-well Goobs, you nailed it. Beautiful surreal introduction. It does have an oxymoronic modern/vintage feel to it. I think it does an excellent job of luring you in and by the time Sectarian starts I'm already beginning to zone out and enter the surreal world of music that is better than drugs cool10.gif

Sectarian-starts gentle but there is something amiss. Something cold, dark and distant. Like you're walking towards the light, only to find it's a rabbit hole. The musicianship is insane, especially the subtle drumming and the unique use of effects. This is the track that carries me away. Grace for Drowning just opened the door.

Deform to Form a Star-an absolutely beautiful introduction. It's beauty grows on you. It's like after the darkness of Sectarian there is this wub.gif and then the vocals come in, and o think that is the best vocal delivery Steven has ever given us. And great lyrics too. The song just builds and builds beautifully, up to the time signature change to 3 and then it has this beautiful triumphant ending.

No Part of Me-is a very unique song. I absolutely adore it and how it fades in and keeps building. It has this beautiful mystical aura that stands out even more especially if the rest of the album has drawn you in. The ending is unexpected and insane, and it segued nicely into the most beautiful Steven Wilson song ever recorded.

Postcard-some say it's Steven doing Coldplay. Not a bad thing at all, but I think this is much more. This is Steven utilizing the darkness surrounding this song (with Raider Prelude and the ending of No Part of Me) to make beauty stand out. The depressing lyrics fit the melody so well and it hits you like a ton of bricks. I think e song is about his father who passed away but whatever it's about it is absolutely lovely, especially the surprise choir.

Raider Prelude-some great ambience that foreshadows what is to come. It's like Postcard was leading you to an escape from the rabbit hole and right before you got out this sucks you back in. Now you're going to hell, but that's okay because hell never sounded this good!

Remainder the Black Dog-the way this track begins is so eerie. It's perfect. Extremely surreal and you can tell with the time sig you are in for some absolutely insane musicianship. Steve Hackett wub.gif says hello by tearing your soul out with his vicious guitar solos. This song is so dark and jazzy and perfect and it manages to retain its surrealistic qualities that transfer you into...

Belle de Jour-an absolutely gorgeous piece of music that does a great job of pulling you further into this eclectic world. It's so beautiful too.

Index-creepy as hell. If you have become absorbed in this album (which you should've been by now or you are doing it wrong) this can scare the shit out of you. Yet there is a strangely beautiful ending to this song? Yeah, weird. Intense stuff, very original.

Track One-Goobs, I love the intro to this track wub.gif it makes me feel like I'm in some haunted yet beautiful part of Europe and I love Europe! But then the gates of hell within hell open up and ahhhh run away but you can't because it sounds so good. Then beautiful guitar solo and then....

Raider II-uh-oh. You're barely conscious by now, and these occasional eerie piano parts are managing to keep you alive but uncomfortable. Then bam! Bari sax? Oh that sounds so good. This is so freaky and intense and even metal! 1022.gif but it's smart metal, no IQ points dropped! And that beautiful jazz part about 5 minutes in...brings to mind cool jazz mixed in with romantic medieval music or something. Then craziness. I don't know man, and then ambience, and then more craziness, and then the trippy feeling of "did I really hear that?" his track is insane.

Like Dust I have Cleared from My eye-this is just a beautiful track with some of the greatest lyrics ever...breathe in/breathe out, those three words mean so much to me. This song is like recovery after your brain and soul have been fried. And the ambient ending is perfect wub.gif

goodpost.gif Great review!! I agree with practically everything you said. This album is probably in my top 5 albums of all time, its that good. And the songs were even better live.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 12 2012, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Feb 12 2012, 12:27 PM)
See I'd review this album but every song would get a ten  laugh.gif

So I'm gonna just say why every song gets a ten  tongue.gif

Grace for Drowning-well Goobs, you nailed it. Beautiful surreal introduction. It does have an oxymoronic modern/vintage feel to it. I think it does an excellent job of luring you in and by the time Sectarian starts I'm already beginning to zone out and enter the surreal world of music that is better than drugs  cool10.gif

Deform to Form a Star-an absolutely beautiful introduction. It's beauty grows on you. It's like after the darkness of Sectarian there is this  wub.gif and then the vocals come in, and o think that is the best vocal delivery Steven has ever given us. And great lyrics too. The song just builds and builds beautifully, up to the time signature change to 3 and then it has this beautiful triumphant ending.

Remainder the Black Dog-the way this track begins is so eerie. It's perfect. Extremely surreal and you can tell with the time sig you are in for some absolutely insane musicianship. Steve Hackett  wub.gif says hello by tearing your soul out with his vicious guitar solos. This song is so dark and jazzy and perfect and it manages to retain its surrealistic qualities that transfer you into...

Track One-Goobs, I love the intro to this track  wub.gif it makes me feel like I'm in some haunted yet beautiful part of Europe and I love Europe! But then the gates of hell within hell open up and ahhhh run away but you can't because it sounds so good. Then beautiful guitar solo and then....

Raider II-uh-oh. You're barely conscious by now, and these occasional eerie piano parts are managing to keep you alive but uncomfortable. Then bam! Bari sax? Oh that sounds so good. This is so freaky and intense and even metal!  1022.gif but it's smart metal, no IQ points dropped! And that beautiful jazz part about 5 minutes in...brings to mind cool jazz mixed in with romantic medieval music or something. Then craziness. I don't know man, and then ambience, and then more craziness, and then the trippy feeling of "did I really hear that?" his track is insane.

Like Dust I have Cleared from My eye-this is just a beautiful track with some of the greatest lyrics ever...breathe in/breathe out, those three words mean so much to me. This song is like recovery after your brain and soul have been fried. And the ambient ending is perfect  wub.gif

goodpost.gif Great review!! I agree with practically everything you said. This album is probably in my top 5 albums of all time, its that good. And the songs were even better live.

Well hey I'm finally gonna see him in April! 1022.gif

I heard the live version of No Part of Me and my mind was absolutely blown, I didn't think a live version could be better considering steven's knack for perfection in the studio. Yet, it was better ohmy.gif

Glad you liked my review tongue.gif

I love this album to death. I would say it's in my top 5 too.

JC's top ten albums at the moment:

Hemispheres

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Pawn Hearts

Grace for Drowning

Foxtrot

Still Life

De-Loused in the Comatorium

The Incident

Lateralus

Mer de Noms

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 12 2012, 10:27 AM)

Don't get me wrong - even the songs I'm not into aren't bad, they're just not all my style. And I'm truly glad to have this for the songs I do love - thanks for introducing me to it! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Feb 12 2012, 10:27 AM)
See I'd review this album but every song would get a ten  laugh.gif

So I'm gonna just say why every song gets a ten  tongue.gif

Grace for Drowning-well Goobs, you nailed it. Beautiful surreal introduction. It does have an oxymoronic modern/vintage feel to it. I think it does an excellent job of luring you in and by the time Sectarian starts I'm already beginning to zone out and enter the surreal world of music that is better than drugs  cool10.gif

Deform to Form a Star-an absolutely beautiful introduction. It's beauty grows on you. It's like after the darkness of Sectarian there is this  wub.gif and then the vocals come in, and o think that is the best vocal delivery Steven has ever given us. And great lyrics too. The song just builds and builds beautifully, up to the time signature change to 3 and then it has this beautiful triumphant ending.

Remainder the Black Dog-the way this track begins is so eerie. It's perfect. Extremely surreal and you can tell with the time sig you are in for some absolutely insane musicianship. Steve Hackett  wub.gif says hello by tearing your soul out with his vicious guitar solos. This song is so dark and jazzy and perfect and it manages to retain its surrealistic qualities that transfer you into...

Track One-Goobs, I love the intro to this track  wub.gif it makes me feel like I'm in some haunted yet beautiful part of Europe and I love Europe! But then the gates of hell within hell open up and ahhhh run away but you can't because it sounds so good. Then beautiful guitar solo and then....

Raider II-uh-oh. You're barely conscious by now, and these occasional eerie piano parts are managing to keep you alive but uncomfortable. Then bam! Bari sax? Oh that sounds so good. This is so freaky and intense and even metal!  1022.gif but it's smart metal, no IQ points dropped! And that beautiful jazz part about 5 minutes in...brings to mind cool jazz mixed in with romantic medieval music or something. Then craziness. I don't know man, and then ambience, and then more craziness, and then the trippy feeling of "did I really hear that?" his track is insane.

Like Dust I have Cleared from My eye-this is just a beautiful track with some of the greatest lyrics ever...breathe in/breathe out, those three words mean so much to me. This song is like recovery after your brain and soul have been fried. And the ambient ending is perfect  wub.gif

Don't get me wrong - even the songs I'm not into aren't bad, they're just not all my style. And I'm truly glad to have this for the songs I do love - thanks for introducing me to it! trink39.gif

Why thank you 1022.gif

But admit it, you are a metalhead in denial!

i don't think steven wilson cares about the grammys. he's over qualified. the grammys are a celebration of mindless music. some of the music is great and some is so so. its a fun show that means nothing. the shmucks that win have an opportunity to put our more good or lame music. then it all fizzles out. amazing and brilliant work in the music business goes unnoticed. we all know this yet we comment and waist our time writing and chatting about it. it's all blah.

QUOTE (shail @ Feb 12 2012, 05:48 PM)
i don't think steven wilson cares about the grammys. he's over qualified. the grammys are a celebration of mindless music. some of the music is great and some is so so. its a fun show that means nothing. the shmucks that win have an opportunity to put our more good or lame music. then it all fizzles out. amazing and brilliant work in the music business goes unnoticed. we all know this yet we comment and waist our time writing and chatting about it. it's all blah.

i can't make myself watch the grammys. the music industry is such a joke, and real talent so universally unrecognized and unappreciated that there's just no point.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 13 2012, 10:05 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 13 2012, 05:04 PM)
Interview with SW:
http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson.html

Talks about ditching Blackfield, Storm Corrosion, his next solo album in 2013 and getting back to PT after that.

Back to METAL!

1022.gif

Nope.

Disco.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 13 2012, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 13 2012, 10:05 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 13 2012, 05:04 PM)
Interview with SW:
http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson.html

Talks about ditching Blackfield, Storm Corrosion, his next solo album in 2013 and getting back to PT after that.

Back to METAL!

1022.gif

Nope.

Disco.

653.gif