Henson Company planning 'Dark Crystal' sequel

Jack Aubrey

From Coming Soon:

The Jim Henson Company is planning to make a sequel to its 1982 fantasy classic The Dark Crystal, reports Variety.

Titled The Power of the Dark Crystal, the new movie is written by David Odell (The Dark Crystal, The Muppet Show) and Annette Duffy. No director is yet attached to the film which starts shooting this fall for a 2007 release. It will combine live-action animatronic characters with CG animation.

The story is set many years after the original, which was helmed by Frank Oz and Jim Henson. Original heroes Jen and Kira are now king and queen, and must fight to save their kingdom when the crystal is once again split.

The company is also developing an animated series, interactive games and other media as well.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Too awesome! I never would have expected a return to this. I'm such a fan of the original. My kids are as well.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 13 2005, 07:22 PM)
From Coming Soon:

The Jim Henson Company is planning to make a sequel to its 1982 fantasy classic The Dark Crystal, reports Variety.

Titled The Power of the Dark Crystal, the new movie is written by David Odell (The Dark Crystal, The Muppet Show) and Annette Duffy. No director is yet attached to the film which starts shooting this fall for a 2007 release. It will combine live-action animatronic characters with CG animation.

The story is set many years after the original, which was helmed by Frank Oz and Jim Henson. Original heroes Jen and Kira are now king and queen, and must fight to save their kingdom when the crystal is once again split.

The company is also developing an animated series, interactive games and other media as well.

icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif

I love that movie!!

http://imaginez.net.free.fr/illustrations/modernes/films/darkcrystal1.jpg

A copy of the first promotional flyer (they send these out to distributors) with a plot synopsis has hit the web. Here you go!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/9ed0cd70.jpg

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 13 2005, 09:22 PM)
From Coming Soon:

Loved the original....This might be a great one...

I love the first one, so they better not f**k this one up. If it does well, do you think they'd make another Labyrinth too? If David Bowie is back I hope they digitally "fix" his tights if you know what I'm saying wacko.gif

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jun 16 2006, 09:16 AM)
Is the original on DVD? For some reason I can never find it.

Yeah, it's available in two versions, Superbit and in a twin-pack with 'Labyrinth'. I had heard that there will be a special edition of 'Crystal' due out soon. I'll see what I can find out.

When single shines the triple sun

What was sundered and undone

Shall be whole - the two make one -

By Gelfling hand, or else by none.

Crazy that I remember that, eh? unsure.gif

I liked the original "Crystal" at the time.

Found it! Turns out it's been out for a while.

"Dark Crystal" collector's edition.

Wal-Mart's got it, too.

So does Target.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2006, 11:14 AM)
Why, for God's sake WHY???

Why what, dude?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 16 2006, 06:18 AM)

Why what, dude?

Can we perhaps find an older even more obscure movie to do a sequel of? I mean, it was a good enough movie, I enjoyed it, but a sequel seems to me beyond pointless. Couldn't they just come up with something new? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2006, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 16 2006, 06:18 AM)

Why what, dude?

Can we perhaps find an older even more obscure movie to do a sequel of? I mean, it was a good enough movie, I enjoyed it, but a sequel seems to me beyond pointless. Couldn't they just come up with something new? confused13.gif

Look on the bright side, at least it's not another damn remake. But yes, I would be the first to welcome new ideas from Hollywood.