TV continuity problems

Presto-digitation

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When "Rhoda" was on Mary Tyler Moore Show, there was an episode where we find out that she has two siblings - Arnold and Brenda.

Another episode later, she flies to New York with Mary to see her sister "Debbie" get married. I think this was the first stab at the Rhoda spinoff.

When Rhoda becomes a series, she has only one sister: Brenda. Plus Rhoda's parents had been living in the same apartment when their children were born, but Rhoda tells Mary in the MTM show that when she would move to an apartment, her parents would move as well so that they would all be close by. Which is why she left New York and moved to Minneapolis - to get away from her parents.

That 70's show.

With the amount of Christmas episodes they did, they should be well into the 80's by the time the show ended.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 13 2011, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 13 2011, 05:11 PM)
Ray and Debra's house in Everybody Loves Raymond. They show Frank and Marie entering through the back door all the time when they live across the street. Its kind of stupid to walk across the street and go around the house when they could have just gone in the front door.

I can see where you're coming from, but in my house where I grew up, relatives and friends came through a side door within a screened in porch. When people we didn't know came to our house, they went to the front door of the house. The front is a more formal entrance whereas the side one was more of a casual entrance.

Yeah but sometimes Frank, Marie and Robert come in the front door. They aren't consistant almost like they already knew what part of the house Deb and Ray were in.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 14 2011, 08:44 AM)
In one of the first episodes of the original Star Trek series, Kirk is shown looking at what would be his future grave and it says "James R. Kirk" when his name is clearly, "James Tiberius Kirk".. Though I have heard this was intentional as a joke.

It just seems like a very minor mistake. If it was supposed to be a joke it ain't very funny tongue.gif .

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 13 2011, 11:25 PM)
When "Rhoda" was on Mary Tyler Moore Show, there was an episode where we find out that she has two siblings - Arnold and Brenda.

Another episode later, she flies to New York with Mary to see her sister "Debbie" get married. I think this was the first stab at the Rhoda spinoff.

When Rhoda becomes a series, she has only one sister: Brenda. Plus Rhoda's parents had been living in the same apartment when their children were born, but Rhoda tells Mary in the MTM show that when she would move to an apartment, her parents would move as well so that they would all be close by. Which is why she left New York and moved to Minneapolis - to get away from her parents.

Nice.

On a lesser note, the unexplained disappearance of brother "Chuck" on Happy Days. Left for college, or something, and never, ever came back again. Not mentioned. Not in family photos. I know it became an on-set joke when they'd take pictures: "Where's Chuck??"

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 14 2011, 07:05 AM)
The only one that stands out for me at the moment is Seinfeld first season, when Kramer was an introvert and Jerry's dad was.. someone else entirely.

Not sure if that's continuity or just evolving that character, but it's an interesting note for sure. You're right entirely that Kramer seems almost a little...slow or dim-witted. Very much a blossoming of his personality after that season. He'd just sit around and smile that dopey smile and not say much....versus almost the hyper-animated guy he'd become.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 14 2011, 09:09 PM)
The only one that stands out for me at the moment is Seinfeld first season, when Kramer was an introvert and Jerry's dad was.. someone else entirely.

Not sure if that's continuity or just evolving that character, but it's an interesting note for sure. You're right entirely that Kramer seems almost a little...slow or dim-witted. Very much a blossoming of his personality after that season. He'd just sit around and smile that dopey smile and not say much....versus almost the hyper-animated guy he'd become.

trink39.gif

True. Though not as drastically as Kramer, George changed from the early seasons too.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 14 2011, 08:09 AM)

trink39.gif

I remember one episode in the season, maybe a real early one, where Jerry makes a comment to Kramer that he hasn't been out of the building in 20 years. He's like a bizarro world Kramer. I suspect Michael Richards had a lot to do with developing his character into the K-man we all know and love. Yeah, I guess you could chalk that up to character development. That was some hyper-speed character development thought- it wasn't too long before Kramer's script got totally flipped.

I hate it when characters change.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OS27-6iYyG4/TLNdKmi7IGI/AAAAAAAAAgA/9iDuyO-xsMc/s1600/recast_bewitched.jpg

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 13 2011, 03:39 PM)
I think Cheers' exterior roughly matched the layout and how you come into the building, no? It's nice when they take the time to do this right. biggrin.gif

Yes, you do walk down a flight of stairs to enter the bar, of course the interior is entirely different.

I thought of one. The youngest child Chrissy in the show "Growing Pains" matured a little too quickly.

http://image.com.com/tv/images/content_headers/program_new/118.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wNbPHDDPpDE/S9ZicrD4ETI/AAAAAAAABlA/9xnGbyl8nK8/s1600/growing.jpg

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jul 14 2011, 10:01 AM)

I hate it when characters change.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OS27-6iYyG4/TLNdKmi7IGI/AAAAAAAAAgA/9iDuyO-xsMc/s1600/recast_bewitched.jpg

Bewitched was pretty notorious for changes.

Ironically, Dick Sergeant (the second Darrin) was their original choice for that role, but he was under contract to another series or something.

Dick York had to leave for medical reasons so the replacement was inevitable.

Same with Glady's Kravitz, the nosy neighbor, except in this case the first actress died and was replaced.

So many different actresses portrayed Samantha's Aunt Hagatha and Enchantra.

The character of Adam WAS a warlock, but when they did the "Tabitha" series with Lisa Hartman, Adam was NOT a warlock. Oh, and Tabitha magically aged about 15 years during the five years between the end of "Bewitched" (1972) and the beginning of "Tabitha" (1977).

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 14 2011, 07:18 AM)

trink39.gif

True. Though not as drastically as Kramer, George changed from the early seasons too.

Very true.

I'm not the biggest fan of the early couple seasons. That show got a lot better with time.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 14 2011, 10:49 AM)

trink39.gif

Very true.

I'm not the biggest fan of the early couple seasons. That show got a lot better with time.

yes.gif

Lots of the first 2 seasons for sure. It's almost hard to watch... like that scene with Jerry and Elaine trying to figure out to have sex and still keep their friendship. They are laying down all the "rules"... it just awkward to me.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

The first season (maybe even just the first couple episodes) of the Cosby show had a different set layout then the one most are familar with and the change is never explained. I can also remember "Cliff" saying to "Claire" that they have 4 children because they do not want 5 when later in the show they did have 5 childeren.

George changed from the early seasons too.

Actor Jason Alexander can explain the change. He says he started off playing George as a Woody Allen type... but came to realize that George was "Larry David's id," and started playing him that way.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 14 2011, 12:28 PM)
On SNL - I remember one time when Jimmy Fallon laughed on camera in the middle of a scene!!!

Have you never seen the Carol Burnett Show? Like SNL, it was a show full of funny skits... and the actors broke out into laughter in the middle of scenes all the time. Usually it was because Tim Conway would do something unexpected, something they hadn't rehearsed, and would get everyone - especially Harvey Korman - dying of laughter.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 14 2011, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 14 2011, 12:28 PM)
On SNL - I remember one time when Jimmy Fallon laughed on camera in the middle of a scene!!!

Have you never seen the Carol Burnett Show? Like SNL, it was a show full of funny skits... and the actors broke out into laughter in the middle of scenes all the time. Usually it was because Tim Conway would do something unexpected, something they hadn't rehearsed, and would get everyone - especially Harvey Korman - dying of laughter.

Thats the great thing about live TV.

Edited by GeddyRulz