TV continuity problems

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 14 2011, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 14 2011, 12:28 PM)
On SNL - I remember one time when Jimmy Fallon laughed on camera in the middle of a scene!!!

Have you never seen the Carol Burnett Show? Like SNL, it was a show full of funny skits... and the actors broke out into laughter in the middle of scenes all the time. Usually it was because Tim Conway would do something unexpected, something they hadn't rehearsed, and would get everyone - especially Harvey Korman - dying of laughter.

yeah, I remember one skit where Carol Burnett, playing Eunice in the skit "mama's family" couldn't help but laugh at Vicki Lawrence in her "mama" role when "mama" was chewing Eunice out for being stupid.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 13 2011, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jul 13 2011, 08:54 PM)
There is one other episode I clearly remember where T'pol enters a crew member's room and the door closes behind her. The camera eventually changes and the door is magically open again.

That's so we could see her back side.

But the camera was facing the front.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 14 2011, 01:28 PM)
On SNL - I remember one time when Jimmy Fallon laughed on camera in the middle of a scene!!!

Do you mean the one or two times when he did not laugh during a sketch? Those were continuity problems tongue.gif

The Odd Couple is rife with continuity problems. The unexplained changing of apartments. The new apartment's layout makes no sense, whatsoever. Two addresses were given - Park Ave. and Central Park West. How Felix and Oscar met was explained differently several times. There are plenty more. But I never cared. The show always made me laugh.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 14 2011, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 14 2011, 07:18 AM)
George changed from the early seasons too.

Actor Jason Alexander can explain the change. He says he started off playing George as a Woody Allen type... but came to realize that George was "Larry David's id," and started playing him that way.

George's personality changing is one of the reasons I think Seinfeld became a bad show during the second half of its run. George simply was a petty and angry man with no redeeming qualities or charisma. Also, Kramer morphed into a complete idiot, Jerry was simply shallow and selfish and Elaine was an angry slut. It really became a different show in its latter years - an inferior show.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 14 2011, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 14 2011, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 14 2011, 12:28 PM)

Have you never seen the Carol Burnett Show? Like SNL, it was a show full of funny skits... and the actors broke out into laughter in the middle of scenes all the time. Usually it was because Tim Conway would do something unexpected, something they hadn't rehearsed, and would get everyone - especially Harvey Korman - dying of laughter.

yeah, I remember one skit where Carol Burnett, playing Eunice in the skit "mama's family" couldn't help but laugh at Vicki Lawrence in her "mama" role when "mama" was chewing Eunice out for being stupid.

Remember the siamese elephants?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 15 2011, 07:22 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 14 2011, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 14 2011, 07:18 AM)
George changed from the early seasons too.

Actor Jason Alexander can explain the change. He says he started off playing George as a Woody Allen type... but came to realize that George was "Larry David's id," and started playing him that way.

George's personality changing is one of the reasons I think Seinfeld became a bad show during the second half of its run. George simply was a petty and angry man with no redeeming qualities or charisma. Also, Kramer morphed into a complete idiot, Jerry was simply shallow and selfish and Elaine was an angry slut. It really became a different show in its latter years - an inferior show.

Too right. They seemed more like sketch comedy cariacatures than the characters they had been.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 15 2011, 11:27 AM)
Bewitched.
Darren became a completely different dude and they apparently didn;t think we would notice. They could have easily blamed it on Endora.

They replaced one Dick with another. tongue.gif

Think I liked York better. He seemed more likely to get screwed over and stressed about it. Good!

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 14 2011, 10:27 PM)
Bewitched.
Darren became a completely different dude and they apparently didn;t think we would notice. They could have easily blamed it on Endora.

The first episode they filmed with the new Darrin involved Endora splitting Darrin into two - the business side of him and the fun side of him. It was a tongue in cheek episode addressing the difference in actors.

Even Endora told Samantha later: "I know dear. It must humiliating to know you've made the same mistake twice".

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 14 2011, 10:33 PM)
Bewitched.
Darren became a completely different dude and they apparently didn;t think we would notice.  They could have easily blamed it on Endora.

The first episode they filmed with the new Darrin involved Endora splitting Darrin into two - the business side of him and the fun side of him. It was a tongue in cheek episode addressing the difference in actors.

Even Endora told Samantha later: "I know dear. It must humiliating to know you've made the same mistake twice".

doesn;t explain why he is a different dude. Even in Star Trek they just gave spock a beard. they didn;t bring a different actor in.

Bewitched.

I read a totally made up rumor about the movie Bewitched - Jim Carrey would play Darren for the first half of the movie and Will Ferrell would play Darren for the second half with no explanation or acknowledgement of the change.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 14 2011, 10:36 PM)
Bewitched.
Darren became a completely different dude and they apparently didn;t think we would notice.  They could have easily blamed it on Endora.

I read a totally made up rumor about the movie Bewitched - Jim Carrey would play Darren for the first half of the movie and Will Ferrell would play Darren for the second half with no explanation or acknowledgement of the change.

that would have been awesome. (completely removing Nicole and putting in someone interesting would have been cool too).

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 15 2011, 11:36 AM)
Bewitched.

That's kind of funny. Funny thing is that Jim Carrey has got about only 1 joke and Will Ferrell has none! laugh.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 14 2011, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 15 2011, 11:27 AM)
Bewitched.

They replaced one Dick with another. tongue.gif

Think I liked York better. He seemed more likely to get screwed over and stressed about it. Good!

Didn't the first one have a really bad health issue that forced him to leave the show?

Dick York was the better Darrin. When they were filming one particular episode, he had an attack of some kind, related to his back condition, and had to be rushed to the hospital, and that was it.

They weren't even finished with the episode and when you watch it, you can tell something was different.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 13 2011, 12:00 PM)
In the Sherwood Shwartz thread it was pointed out to me that the Craftsman style house always shown as the exterior of The Brady Bunch house was indeed a one-story abode, despite the set showing a staircase.

In that vein, name some other continuity issues in TV series if you can think of any.

This one has always been a favorite of mine. The opening of All In The Family pans down Hauser St. (which doesn't actually exist) and stops at what's always presumed to be 704 Hauser St., Queens (Astoria), NY. This is a reasonably current photo of that same house (actually in Glendale) from the opening credits. Largely it's the same as it appeared in the opening credits:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/364986659_5c8011f5a3.jpg

But the continuity issue is that the set for All In The Family always had a recessed entry and a covered front porch. biggrin.gif

Can you name any continuity issues from television shows you used to watch?

The Bradys house made no sense in a number of ways. That would have been a HUGE 2 story family room. Theres a den, and a maids quarters, but the kids are jammed in two rooms. The house would have had to be very deep and not so wide, and the driveway weird too.

Ive noticed thee exterior interior things a lot.

The one growing up that bothered be was the house in Happy Days. The front shot CLEARLY showed windows on the left of the frotn door, but when inside, there was no window there, just a short wall that led to the kitchen.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 13 2011, 04:31 PM)
Doug and Carrie's house in The King of Queens always bothered me. You can easily tell the exterior shots don't match the interior set. The interior scenes were shot in Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California; the exterior is a house located in New Jersey (although it's supposed to be Queens). Discrepancies between the exterior and interior abound, and it drove me crazy... in particular, an episode where all the characters go out on the "porch" (we can see them through the window, from our inside POV), when the exterior shows no porch, just a small set of steps going directly to the front door.

Likewise, the house in Yes, Dear, although it doesn't bother me as much. The exterior shot is of a Spanish-style California house. Watching the interior scenes, I've caught myself wondering "How would that work, that being there, when the 'exterior of the house' doesn't allow for it?" laugh.gif

Same for Everbody Love Raymond.. that small cape? No WAY!