eggs is eggs...how do you like?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 27 2011, 03:34 PM)
I loves me some Chorizo & Eggs.

+1

smile.gif Childhood happiness wrapped in a tortilla. Oooooo, with potatoes!user posted image

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jun 27 2011, 06:46 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 27 2011, 04:03 AM)
Mmmmm I love eggs just about any way you can cook 'em. But I especially love over-medium which is really difficult to get done right. The white has to be cooked but the yolk still mostly runny -- so I can sop my toast, dontcha know. But if the white isn't done I will send those babies right back! My Hubby has got it down to a science (he can even flip them in the pan) but I find that most restaurants can't get it right. And when I find one that can, I commit it to memory.

I have a good trick to cooking them to over medium, that's how I like them too, without flipping them,(then you don't risk breaking the yolk).

Start frying like you usually would. Salt and pepper right away if you tend to use it. When the white part starts to cook (about 1/3 is cooked) pour about an ounce of cold water in the skillet (you don't want the eggs swimming, just want steam) and cover immediatley with a lid wait about 1-2 minues or so. (play with the time a few times and you'll get it down). Whites will be cooked completely and the yolk will be nice and warm and still runny. The top of the egg is also much softer as it hasn't been fried on the pan bottom.

Thanks DM - I'll give that a try next time. cool.gif

BTW, that Hawaiian dish is called a Loco Moco in da Islands. But they usually substitute the hamburger for Spam. I have never tried one... unsure.gif

MMMM, I love eggs but if you fry them it must be over medium in a bit of butter.

No salt, just pepper.

I would never cook eggs this way anymore but They are really yummy fried in bacon.gif grease.

I am an egg snob, they really have to be free range.... they really do taste better.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jun 27 2011, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 27 2011, 04:03 AM)
Mmmmm I love eggs just about any way you can cook 'em. But I especially love over-medium which is really difficult to get done right. The white has to be cooked but the yolk still mostly runny -- so I can sop my toast, dontcha know. But if the white isn't done I will send those babies right back! My Hubby has got it down to a science (he can even flip them in the pan) but I find that most restaurants can't get it right. And when I find one that can, I commit it to memory.

I also really love deviled eggs. We have them for every family get-together. Which reminds me of an anecdote... My Step-Uncle had recently re-married and he and his new wife were having a Christmas party at their new house. Very nice spread, decorations, drinks, etc. I grabbed a couple of deviled eggs -- Hubby and Mom did, too -- and took a bite..... HOLY CRAP! The vinegar... holy crap. So, my Mom and I cornered Mary (the new Step-Aunt) in the kitchen so as to discreetly mention this. She was shocked, "But the recipe said...." We didn't hear anything after that. Mom and I looked at each other and, if we'd had cartoon balloons over our heads, they would have read: RECIPE???!! This was when we found out that Mary, bless her heart, was not much of a cook...  confused13.gif

I have a good trick to cooking them to over medium, that's how I like them too, without flipping them,(then you don't risk breaking the yolk).

Start frying like you usually would. Salt and pepper right away if you tend to use it. When the white part starts to cook (about 1/3 is cooked) pour about an ounce of cold water in the skillet (you don't want the eggs swimming, just want steam) and cover immediatley with a lid wait about 1-2 minues or so. (play with the time a few times and you'll get it down). Whites will be cooked completely and the yolk will be nice and warm and still runny. The top of the egg is also much softer as it hasn't been fried on the pan bottom.

I'm a fan of the over easy/medium egg, and have always flipped them, and nine times out of ten I broke one of the three yolks. I tried Digi's method for the first time this morning and it worked perfectly. I need to adjust the timing a little bit but I got them really close to how I like them on the first try.

Well done, Digi! I'll never flip an egg again! (Unless I'm making fried eggs, that is.)

I love to eat eggs and fart all day afterwords.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 2 2011, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 1 2011, 08:42 PM)

Are any of your windows open, tick? tongue.gif

...and no open flame nearby. scared.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 1 2011, 04:42 PM)

You're contributing to global warming! angry.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 2 2011, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 1 2011, 04:42 PM)

You're contributing to global warming! angry.gif

laugh.gif

If he lights his farts so they don't have a chance to get very far from his butt, does that minimize the damage to the ozone layer?

Thanks for the tip on cooking egg's covered, Digital Man.

I followed the directions, and the eggs cooked just right.

I cooked them for 1 and 3/4 mins...the 1st of three

was a double-yoke that broke immediately upon exiting

the shell, but the other 2 were tasty-big time.

2 slices of sheephearder's bread also, hit the spot.

I'm probably gonna cook the eggs like that from now on.

Thanks again. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 2 2011, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 2 2011, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 1 2011, 08:42 PM)

Are any of your windows open, tick? tongue.gif

...and no open flame nearby. scared.gif

And no escape!!!

*gulp*

scared.gif scared.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 3 2011, 05:03 AM)
Here's a question for you all: How do you crack your eggs in order to try and not break the yolk?

I crack it on the pan's edge but I don't bang it on there. It's all in the wrist. A short little "pop" is enough to crack the shell, then I take my thumbs to pry open the shell.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 3 2011, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 3 2011, 05:03 AM)
Here's a question for you all: How do you crack your eggs in order to try and not break the yolk?

I crack it on the pan's edge but I don't bang it on there. It's all in the wrist. A short little "pop" is enough to crack the shell, then I take my thumbs to pry open the shell.

That's exactly what I do!

I give the egg 2 good hits on the tile

edge of the counter-top..that usually

does the trick...sometimes it works..

sometimes it doesn't..When the yoke breaks,

or a small piece of the shell gets in the egg,

it's full-on red-alert time! The PANIC scared.gif unsure.gif

PANIC PANIC mode commences!!! wink.gif wacko.gif

80% of the time, though, I can get it right.

Edited by go2wrk@95974