Battlescar

HorsemanOfTheApocalypse

In October 1981 I definitely remember Rush playing Battlescar at Bingley Hall & Deeside Leisure Centre, however, it doesn't appear on any recordings I have heard from around that time & have not seen it in track listings for that tour, & although parts of the 1980's are quite hazy, I'm absolutely sure I remember them playing it.

I even remember what coat I was wearing at Bingley - one of those blue Parkas with the plastic fur round the hood !

Have I been kidding myself for 30 years, or does anyone else remember those gigs (October 29th 1981 at Bingley & October 31st at Deeside) ?

QUOTE (tcbroonsie @ May 25 2011, 03:31 PM)
Perhaps it was Max Webster opening for them and the boys joined them on stage to play that song.

Max Webster opened for them on the Moving Pictures tour, not the ESL tour.

According to Wikipedia (take it how you will):

"Among the highlights of the band's career were their New Year's Eve shows at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens. Geddy Lee of Rush joined the band onstage to sing & play his Rickenbacker bass guitar for "Battle Scar" on December 31, 1980 when the band headlined the show."

Hmmm... I know what you mean about Max Webster but yeah, I'm fairly sure Max Webster didn't support the ESL tour over here (the first date of which was Bingley on October 29th 1981), only the main Moving Pictures tour, which was before ESL.

It seemed weird at the time that what we were seeing was (on paper) the MP tour, but somehow it was also being billed as the MP tour. I bought my MP tour shirt on that tour along with my "family heirloom" white & blue "European Tour 1981" (with no mention of MP) baseball jersey, which bizarrely still fits & which I wear for every gig

Also, I'm sure it was only Rush on stage at the time. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

QUOTE (Scars @ May 25 2011, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (tcbroonsie @ May 25 2011, 03:31 PM)
Perhaps it was Max Webster opening for them and the boys joined them on stage to play that song.

Max Webster opened for them on the Moving Pictures tour, not the ESL tour.

According to Wikipedia (take it how you will):

"Among the highlights of the band's career were their New Year's Eve shows at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens. Geddy Lee of Rush joined the band onstage to sing & play his Rickenbacker bass guitar for "Battle Scar" on December 31, 1980 when the band headlined the show."

I definitely saw Battlescar played live and I was at that show so it is probably true. I saw several Max Webster / Rush shows back then. I still have the concert reviews from the next day's newspaper so I could check to see if it was mentioned.

I believe that I read that it was performed with Max Webster during Soundcheck

QUOTE (HorsemanOfTheApocalypse @ May 25 2011, 01:44 PM)
In October 1981 I definitely remember Rush playing Battlescar at Bingley Hall & Deeside Leisure Centre, however, it doesn't appear on any recordings I have heard from around that time & have not seen it in track listings for that tour, & although parts of the 1980's are quite hazy, I'm absolutely sure I remember them playing it.
I even remember what coat I was wearing at Bingley - one of those blue Parkas with the plastic fur round the hood !
Have I been kidding myself for 30 years, or does anyone else remember those gigs (October 29th 1981 at Bingley & October 31st at Deeside) ?

if it's in your memories then it probably happened.

...I don't believe that part about the blue coat though... not for one second! tongue.gif

Nah they didn't perform Battlescar at Bingley, maybe it was played over the PA before the show? Brian Robertson's Wild Horses supported Rush at Bingley didn't they?

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 26 2011, 11:21 PM)
Brian Robertson's Wild Horses supported Rush at Bingley didn't they?

Wild Horses supported Rush at Bingley in 1979. They were shite - Wild Horses not Rush. Rush were still good back then.

That's what daddy tells me...

i was at most of the gigs mentioned here (Bingley 79 - one show - 81 all the shows and deeside

Rush didn't play Battlescar.

Wild horses supported in 79

They had NO support on the 81 tour

max Webster supported on the main 79 Hemispheres tour - the Stafford shows were later, and have come to be called the Tour of the Semi Spheres

Conversely, and naively , I went to a lot of Sabbath Shows in 1980 (heaven and Hell Tour) when the Max Webster single had just come out pretty much to hear them play that song. Nerd

Nah - it was later than hemispheres. It was 1980 sometime.

And yes - the Sept 79 shows they premiered SoR and FW - I remember a very uneasy feeling washing over the audience as they slipped into the REGGAE section!