caravan

s_b_g

was listening to caravan again tonight on vinyl smile.gif and just had to say that for me that track just rocks - utter genius in my eyes - it really has that "classic" rush feel for me where everything just works together so perfectly .. that stunning break around 3:40 onwards - bliss biggrin.gif

i can't stop thinking big biggrin.gif

i thanks you for listening biggrin.gif

d

p.s. everyone who doesn't like it - fine - but i think it's awesome and wanted to say so biggrin.gif

Caravan and BU2B definitely kick ass. Two of my favorites in recent years.

I hated the song when it first came out and thought it was more S&A-esque crap, but the song came up on shuffle one time and I listen to it once a day now. It has a great Witch Hunt-like intro and I love the head-bobbing pre-chorus and catchy chorus (Geddy's voice is eerily low in those pre-choruses).

QUOTE (Scars @ Apr 30 2011, 07:50 PM)
I hated the song when it first came out and thought it was more S&A-esque crap, but the song came up on shuffle one time and I listen to it once a day now. It has a great Witch Hunt-like intro and I love the head-bobbing pre-chorus and catchy chorus (Geddy's voice is eerily low in those pre-choruses).

Same thing happened to me, at first I didn't really like it all the much. After a couple listens thought it's a different story. Actually,this also happened the first time I listened to Hemispheres. First listen didn't really impress me like I was expecting it to, after a while though, it really grows on you.

QUOTE (s_b_g @ Apr 30 2011, 02:37 PM)
was listening to caravan again tonight on vinyl smile.gif and just had to say that for me that track just rocks - utter genius in my eyes - it really has that "classic" rush feel for me where everything just works together so perfectly .. that stunning break around 3:40 onwards - bliss biggrin.gif

I agree that the music is awesome. I love the weird opening and then the great break towards the end. I just wish the lyrics were more inspiring to me (like in Far Cry) or that it was more catchy or interesting somehow. The lyrics definitely bring the song down a notch for two for me, as well as it not being Geddy's strongest vocal performance. Again, not bad, but not inspiring either.

Decent song. but unlike some here who had it improve for them as they kept listening, that hasn't happened for me. Every time I put it on I have the exact same reaction as I just described.

That said, it's light years better than BU2B.

Their best since CP? That was a good part of S&A, not this.

Caravan is a good song. Much better than BU2B. That song kind of blows.

If Neil beats me over the head with more anti religious bullshit on the new album I will feel he is done as a songwriter. I'm almost there at this point after Snakes And Arrows. The worst lyrical Rush album...EVER!

QUOTE (tick @ May 1 2011, 09:28 AM)

If Neil beats me over the head with more anti religious bullshit on the new album I will feel he is done as a songwriter. I'm almost there at this point after Snakes And Arrows. The worst lyrical Rush album...EVER!

I think BU2B's lyrics are part of the greater CA storyline and relate to the main character. I don't think the lyrics were meant to stand alone. From what I understand, Caravan and bu2b may open the album. All will be revealed when the album comes out. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 1 2011, 07:04 AM)

I think BU2B's lyrics are part of the greater CA storyline and relate to the main character. I don't think the lyrics were meant to stand alone. From what I understand, Caravan and bu2b may open the album. All will be revealed when the album comes out. trink39.gif

As I've said before, while that may be the case, they released them on their own, and then chose to wait what will probably be at least 2 years before releasing the album that they're supposed to come from. They also perform those songs all the time.

Obviously they feel like they stand alone just fine. What choice do people have but to judge it on its own merits?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2011, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (s_b_g @ Apr 30 2011, 02:37 PM)

I agree that the music is awesome. I love the weird opening and then the great break towards the end. I just wish the lyrics were more inspiring to me (like in Far Cry) or that it was more catchy or interesting somehow. The lyrics definitely bring the song down a notch for two for me, as well as it not being Geddy's strongest vocal performance. Again, not bad, but not inspiring either.

I am continuing to hold judgment on the lyrical content on the two new songs, as they are the first two parts of what is being described as a concept album. Right now, without hearing the rest of the album, these lyrics are being taken out of context.

Lyrically, "Caravan" don't mean a whole lot if you look at it as a stand-alone song. But it does seem to be setting up a story, one we haven't heard the rest of yet. "BU2B" seems like a logical second chapter of that story, if the story is about the young man shedding the things he's learned (ONE of them being religion) and finding his own voice.

Just speculating here, of course. CA could be about angels who sneak into people's homes in the middle of the night to repair their clocks.

Edit: Just saw Lerxster's post saying pretty much the same thing.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 01:51 PM)
I couldn't care less what the lyrics say... the song rocks. I guess that's why I don't mind "Dog Years" either lol

I'm in the "music first/lyrics second" camp too. It's why I like these two songs better than most of S&A, which had too much mid-tempo folksy-rock for my taste.

But "Dog Years", despite being an up-tempo rocker, is still pretty annoying to me because of the lyrics. The lyrics are bad enough that they overpower the music. tongue.gif

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

With the exception of a few posts of it on Facebook, the show last year was the first time I'd really heard Caravan. It was quite an experience live, and I think I associate that memory with it every time I hear the song. I think I'd like it anyway, though.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2011, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 1 2011, 07:04 AM)

As I've said before, while that may be the case, they released them on their own, and then chose to wait what will probably be at least 2 years before releasing the album that they're supposed to come from. They also perform those songs all the time.

Obviously they feel like they stand alone just fine. What choice do people have but to judge it on its own merits?

This is true. When first hearing bu2b I thought, holy crap this is so autobiographical of Neil, like it's a Vapor Trails type lyric. Is he bearing his soul again? Then after hearing some interviews I realized it has to be part of the CA story, ala 2112, and I think the lyrics are written in a manner that they can stand alone, but will work better in context of the album. Once it comes out. smile.gif

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ May 1 2011, 11:47 AM)
Caravan is okay.....

BU2B is a turd!

Not big on Caravan...and I think BU2B is average, definately nothing special...

I think in the end, I believe it was a mistake for Rush to release a single. Two songs to be judged to death for a couple years while waiting for the rest of the album. Two songs that become increasing more average as time goes by. Two songs that will skipped by many when the new album is released.

I must admit, I loved Caravan when I first heard it, and I still like it, but if I had just heard it as part of the album instead of a single I wouldn't have grown so tired with it I think.

BU2B was fairly boring and uninteresting to my ears from first listen. Not something I ever need to listen to anymore.

Not being a hater, I'm just being honest.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 1 2011, 10:53 AM)
I couldn't care less what the lyrics say... the song rocks. I guess that's why I don't mind "Dog Years" either lol

I'm in the "music first/lyrics second" camp too. It's why I like these two songs better than most of S&A, which had too much mid-tempo folksy-rock for my taste.

But "Dog Years", despite being an up-tempo rocker, is still pretty annoying to me because of the lyrics. The lyrics are bad enough that they overpower the music. tongue.gif

I'm definitely lyrics first. That's why I can't understand the whole mid-tempo complaint. Take an absolutely KILLER song like Armor & Sword. Does that song even have a tempo? Seriously, the lyrics are so moving and powerful, and the music just hammers it home. I really don't care how fast it is.

Lyrics to a song like Caravan, however, just leave me cold. The music is killer, but that isn't enough to really make me want to listen to that song. And yeah, it might be part one of some epic, but it doesn't really hold up well on its own IMHO. It was released on its own.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2011, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 1 2011, 10:53 AM)

I'm definitely lyrics first. That's why I can't understand the whole mid-tempo complaint. Take an absolutely KILLER song like Armor & Sword. Does that song even have a tempo? Seriously, the lyrics are so moving and powerful, and the music just hammers it home. I really don't care how fast it is.

Lyrics to a song like Caravan, however, just leave me cold. The music is killer, but that isn't enough to really make me want to listen to that song. And yeah, it might be part one of some epic, but it doesn't really hold up well on its own IMHO. It was released on its own.

so I guess you don't like instrumentals?