Atlas Shrugged: The Movie

Kozmo4Rush

One word: Netflix

As far as Neil and Rand go, from interviews I get the impression that he reached a similar conclusion about objectivism that I had in that, at some level, there is a great deal of merit in the concepts; but in its application, the philosophy breaks down because is not scalable. It is limited in the range of contexts in which it is viable.

Whatever one thinks of Rand personally and her works as a whole, I find that there is no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. There is value in it if it spurs critical thinking, introspection and a healthy sense of personal responsibility.

QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 19 2011, 10:15 PM)
One word: Netflix

As far as Neil and Rand go, from interviews I get the impression that he reached a similar conclusion about objectivism that I had in that, at some level, there is a great deal of merit in the concepts; but in its application, the philosophy breaks down because is not scalable. It is limited in the range of contexts in which it is viable.

Whatever one thinks of Rand personally and her works as a whole, I find that there is no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. There is value in it if it spurs critical thinking, introspection and a healthy sense of personal responsibility.

Well said. I read all of Rand's works 25ish years ago. This book has LONG been trying to be made, so I will see it (assuming it comes to my town) or I'll rent it when it goes to DVD.

I'm guessing it'll do okay-ish at theatres and do really well when it goes to DVD.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Apr 19 2011, 12:23 PM)
I've only recently started to read Ayn Rand's books and listen to the few interviews that she had done. IMHO, she was absolutely brilliant and way ahead of her time. As I become more familiar with her writing I'm noticing more and more of Neil's lyrics that were very much influenced by her.

As far as Atlas Shrugged, while I agree with the points she was making she sure took the long way around to make them. The book is so long and the story moves so slowly and is pretty boring in a lot of places. I don't see how this could translate into an enjoyable movie. The movie is destined to fail simply because it was made with such a low budget with unknown actors and had a very limited release. Maybe it will find its audience on DVD. This may have been more successful as a TV miniseries like they did with several Steven King novels.

I also think it would have been better as a mini series, but have you actually ever seen a Stephen King book that was adapted for a television mini series? They all suck (along with most of the movie adaptations).

QUOTE (okiimatsu @ Apr 21 2011, 06:31 PM)
Anyone who follows this sociopath needs to pull the head out.

Anyone who follows anyone without looking where they are going has much bigger problems.

Philosophy isn't an all or nothing proposition. It is possible to gain insight into or spark a different way of looking at the world by listening to a different point of view while, at the same time, recognizing the flaws in reason and discarding them.

Hold to what is true, let go of the rest. Ayn Rand notwithstanding.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Apr 18 2011, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (Kozmo4Rush @ Apr 18 2011, 07:04 PM)
I read the movie is not that good. It was given one star. I'm just surprised someone made a movie out of it. I'd rather see a movie on Roadshow!

The movie may indeed not be any good, but thinking it sucks because of a bad review seems a bit out of place on a Rush Forum.

I would tend not to trust a review of this movie more than most, given the ideology behind the story.

Revised:

I've seen a clip.

IT STILL SUCKS!

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Apr 22 2011, 03:45 PM)
Ah, yes. Atlas Shrugged, the Galtian expression of Objectivism penned by the woman whom later got lung cancer and had to depend on social security in her later years..

Funny thing life, and what happens.

I will check this movie out when it gets to netflix.

Made a post earlier in this thread, and it seems to have disappeared.

Ayn Rand did not have to "depend upon Social Security" in her later years. She did file for and collect Social Security, which she was completely entitled to do. That is no different than our President saying the rich should be taxed more, but not setting the example by paying more than the IRS requires -- he is entitled to his refund just as Ayn Rand was entitled to collect Social Security after having the taxes confiscated from her during her career.

She had a great deal of income from her books, including Atlas Shrugged which has once again been a best seller for the past year and a half. Currently #22 on Amazon's best seller list.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Apr 22 2011, 03:45 PM)
Ah, yes. Atlas Shrugged, the Galtian expression of Objectivism penned by the woman whom later got lung cancer and had to depend on social security in her later years..

Funny thing life, and what happens.

I will check this movie out when it gets to netflix.

Nice job on misinformation.

Rand often said that Social Security was a corrupt and uselss system and that everybody who was forced to pay into it, deserved every single penny back.

Her accepting Social Security, while ironic in some ways, is not hypocritical.

I love how most people who speak so violently against Rand are those who have probably not read more than a couple out of context quotes by her. This type would rather (and quite conveniently) listen to mainstream media-types slander Rand and Objectivism without ever getting to the true meaning of the philosophy.

Nice stimulating comments on Rand, but the movie is not that wonderful. I saw it today and was a bit disappointed. It is the Cliff's Notes version. It tries too hard. Overacted. Ham-handed. It does look good. It was cast well. Read the book. I know reading is a foreign concept these days, but it is a rewarding read if you can get through the whole thing.

Archived