Van Der Graaf Generator

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 14 2011, 08:25 AM)
Not that difficult to find.. wink.gif

Do you have it on progarchives?

And lucky bastard, I need to see VdGG if they ever come to Texas, but i'm planning a trip to England next summer so if that happens I guess I'll see VdGG, or at least Hammill biggrin.gif

Oh and Guy Evans...the more I listen to VdGG the more I realize how amazing of a drummer he is.

A top ten for me.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 14 2011, 01:29 PM)

And lucky bastard, I need to see VdGG if they ever come to Texas, but i'm planning a trip to England next summer so if that happens I guess I'll see VdGG, or at least Hammill biggrin.gif

Oh and Guy Evans...the more I listen to VdGG the more I realize how amazing of a drummer he is.

A top ten for me.

It's a real thrill to watch Guy Evans play live. Jazz as f*ck. Marvellous.

I'm listening to A Grounding In Numbers right now. As much as I like it, the last thing I want to hear in a song on the second to last day of school is:

"e to the power of i times pi plus one is zero

e to the power of i times pi plus one is zero

e to the power of i times pi is minus one

e to the power of i times pi is minus one"

wacko.gif

I'm also a long time VDGG/Hammill Fan. I have everything from Aerosol to Grounding mostly on CD but also a lot of Vinyl.

I bought 'The Fall Of The House Of Usher' cd in the 90's and it came with a german book called 'The House Is I'. The book is a thesis about music for a university written by a female student - amazing stuff.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jun 29 2011, 09:08 AM)
I'm also a long time VDGG/Hammill Fan. I have everything from Aerosol to Grounding mostly on CD but also a lot of Vinyl.
I bought 'The Fall Of The House Of Usher' cd in the 90's and it came with a german book called 'The House Is I'. The book is a thesis about music for a university written by a female student - amazing stuff.

How did you get everything wacko.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 14 2011, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 14 2011, 01:29 PM)

A top ten for me.

It's a real thrill to watch Guy Evans play live. Jazz as f*ck. Marvellous.

Tell me about it...I wish I could see. These guys are truly insane musicians and at the top of their game.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 29 2011, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jun 29 2011, 09:08 AM)

How did you get everything wacko.gif

In Germany we have events called 'vinyl markets'. There are a lot of exhibitors selling Vinyl, CD's, DVD's, Books - everything about music. These are great events where you can get a lot of rare stuff.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 30 2011, 11:15 AM)
Can't get into this band. Never did. Doubt if I ever will.

It's not easy that's for sure - I bought my first VDGG CD just because of some musicians who mentioned the band as one of their influences. I went into a shop and found a CD called 'World Record' and it had a small sticker with a number on it. I asked the seller what the number was for and he said that's his order No. for this CD. It was 2112 - so I bought it and gave it a try. After I tried and tried I was ready to give up and then one night changed it all. I came home (must admit I was drunk) and took a CD from my shelf without knowing what it was (the light was off). I listened to the whole thing and went WOW. I turned on the lights and listened again but this time with the lyrics in my hand and since that day I was infected with a VDGG virus.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 7 2011, 08:10 PM)
I wonder if they'll tour America. I'd like to see them before they retire.

I also need to get all the VdGG albums I don't have yet so I can start listening to Hammill's solo stuff.

I've heard most of Hammill's material and he has never disappointed me. Maybe I'm a fanboy but even the worst or most uninspired stuff he writes is a unique and fun listen. If you find the fall of the house of usher, you're in for a f***ing insane treat.

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Aug 22 2011, 11:24 PM)
Wrong thread, but A Louse Is Not A Home is such a great song... wub.gif

I'm pretty sure I said this thread was for vdgg/hammill altogether. But if I didn't I say it now tongue.gif ferret and featherbird is so surreal and lovely. Why the hell is hammill so amazing?