Van Der Graaf Generator

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 12 2011, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 12 2011, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (Imaginos @ Apr 12 2011, 02:51 PM)
I'm amazed at how good "A Grounding In Numbers" is. It's currently a strong contender for my album of the year (yes, I know we're only 4 months in).

It's bloody marvellous.

Okay, you guys sold me, I'm getting it.

Same.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 16 2011, 02:50 PM)
Listening to Pawn Hearts. I can tell that after a few listens it will grow on me.

Man you're in for a treat. It not only grows on you. It becomes a part of you, if you let it wub.gif

I think I'll have to order the entire Hamill discography because every time I hear VDGG I realize how amazing they are...

Just listen to this masterpiece...otherworldly, so sad and yet uplifting in an odd way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTeeKE4I6lQ&feature=related

I listened to the new album and I was impressed. Not as good as Godbluff of Pawn Hearts, but its still a solid album. I wasn't impressed with the first 2 songs, but Highly Strung, Snake Oil, Mr. Sands, Smoke and 5533 were the standouts for me.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 15 2011, 12:13 PM)
I listened to the new album and I was impressed. Not as good as Godbluff of Pawn Hearts, but its still a solid album. I wasn't impressed with the first 2 songs, but Highly Strung, Snake Oil, Mr. Sands, Smoke and 5533 were the standouts for me.

I love Snake Oil. But I'm just amazed they are still making such good music. And I really like the opener.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 15 2011, 01:14 PM)

I love Snake Oil. But I'm just amazed they are still making such good music. And I really like the opener.

It wasn't horrible, but I think that Highly Strung would have been a better choice as an opener. I'm sure it will grow on me like their other albums did after multiple listens. After 1 listen, I'd give it an 8.5/10.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 15 2011, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 15 2011, 01:14 PM)

It wasn't horrible, but I think that Highly Strung would have been a better choice as an opener. I'm sure it will grow on me like their other albums did after multiple listens. After 1 listen, I'd give it an 8.5/10.

I agree Highly Strung may have been a better opener, as it seems less like a ballad and it's perhaps the most accessible. But yeah, 8.5 seems like a good rating, considering this man has created 46 albums ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 15 2011, 06:29 PM)
do you guys know if the live albums are any good, and if they'll ever tour the states again?

Real Time and Live at the Paradisso are superb , and show the band at their very best

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 13 2011, 08:23 AM)
I'm half way through my first listen of A Grounding In Numbers...holy...shit...

Okay, call me a wuss. But I was rereading this thread and playing A Grounding In Numbers. Rereading this comment i laughed a little but I started crying too, I don't know why. I feel so sad that Hammill is so old and it makes the opening track even more powerful. And those key changes in Snake Oil..they hit home really hard.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 8 2011, 05:41 AM)
Van der graaf generator book, anyone have it?

Yes, it's a weighty but mighty tome. It's all there.

BTW, my vinyl copy of A Grounding In Numbers arrived today...number 2060 out 0f 2100. Cool.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 13 2011, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 8 2011, 05:41 AM)
Van der graaf generator book, anyone have it?

Yes, it's a weighty but mighty tome. It's all there.

BTW, my vinyl copy of A Grounding In Numbers arrived today...number 2060 out 0f 2100. Cool.

I don't think I've ever been more jealous of anything. angry.gif

Hatchet axe and saw, have you heard of the fall of the house of usher?

It's one of Hammill's projects and in 1999 he rewrote it without drums to make it sound more like an opera. It's fantastic but it's extremely hard to get into it. I like it more for the imagery that I imagine rather than the music, which is even stranger than his usual stuff.

Except it's impossible to find, literally almost. Luckily it's all on youtube biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 14 2011, 01:00 PM)
Hatchet axe and saw, have you heard of the fall of the house of usher?
It's one of Hammill's projects and in 1999 he rewrote it without drums to make it sound more like an opera. It's fantastic but it's extremely hard to get into it. I like it more for the imagery that I imagine rather than the music, which is even stranger than his usual stuff.

Except it's impossible to find, literally almost. Luckily it's all on youtube biggrin.gif

Yes, on copied cassette. It's much easier to listen to it on Youtube! The orchestral guitar is fab isn't it?!

PH is one extraordinary alien. I've had the good luck to see VdGG 3 times in the past few years, each one was remarkable. I reviewed one of the gigs in the reviews section on MOTS. Manchester I think, absolutely insane gig.

I bumped into, quite literally, Guy Evans, a few months ago. I bailed, couldn't bring myself to say hello. What a pansy I am.