Van Der Graaf Generator

This song is incredibly epic. I'm just rediscovering it, and I think Van Der Graaf Generator needs more attention everywhere. Therefore I made this thread in honor of their genius, and I command you to listen to a A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. Some of the deepest stuff ever; an absolute masterpiece of prog.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Hamill is the most overlooked musician in the entire world of music. He has 34 solo albums. (a few are instrumental or collaborations) and 12 with VDGG. He is a genius lyricist and plays in some mind-blowing keys and time signatures and at times plays really simple just lovely stuff. He's covered a variety of genres and plays several instruments and has a wonderful vocal range.

I am so glad I can keep this genius to myself, because there are probably like 5 people in the world that know him eyesre4.gif

Such a shame not many recognize his genius and diversity and all the great music he has put out. He is the foundation for 40+ albums of music ranging from good to masterpiece, nothing that is okay or bad. Sure some songs are kind of wtf.gif but just look at how much this guy has done! And I'm not talking just quantity. This guy is quality too! If he wrote only 5 albums (take any five of his or VDGG) he would be extremely overlooked. Now take 10x that amount?

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 11 2011, 11:21 PM)
Peter Hamill is the most overlooked musician in the entire world of music. He has 34 solo albums. (a few are instrumental or collaborations) and 12 with VDGG. He is a genius lyricist and plays in some mind-blowing keys and time signatures and at times plays really simple just lovely stuff. He's covered a variety of genres and plays several instruments and has a wonderful vocal range.

I am so glad I can keep this genius to myself, because there are probably like 5 people in the world that know him eyesre4.gif
Such a shame not many recognize his genius and diversity and all the great music he has put out. He is the foundation for 40+ albums of music ranging from good to masterpiece, nothing that is okay or bad. Sure some songs are kind of wtf.gif but just look at how much this guy has done! And I'm not talking just quantity. This guy is quality too! If he wrote only 5 albums (take any five of his or VDGG) he would be extremely overlooked. Now take 10x that amount?

A remarkable artist. I have around 20 of his albums. Some melodic, some practically atonal, some breezy, some as dense as granite.

My top 5 PH solo albums:

Nadir's Big Chance

The Silent Corner & The Empty Stage

Over

Ph7

Singularity

I need to start digging into his 90's stuff.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 12 2011, 03:47 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 11 2011, 11:21 PM)

Such a shame not many recognize his genius and diversity and all the great music he has put out. He is the foundation for 40+ albums of music ranging from good to masterpiece, nothing that is okay or bad. Sure some songs are kind of  wtf.gif but just look at how much this guy has done! And I'm not talking just quantity. This guy is quality too! If he wrote only 5 albums (take any five of his or VDGG) he would be extremely overlooked. Now take 10x that amount?

A remarkable artist. I have around 20 of his albums. Some melodic, some practically atonal, some breezy, some as dense as granite.

My top 5 PH solo albums:

Nadir's Big Chance

The Silent Corner & The Empty Stage

Over

Ph7

Singularity

I need to start digging into his 90's stuff.

I need 90's era as well. Good choice of albums.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 12 2011, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (Imaginos @ Apr 12 2011, 02:51 PM)
I'm amazed at how good "A Grounding In Numbers" is. It's currently a strong contender for my album of the year (yes, I know we're only 4 months in).

It's bloody marvellous.

Okay, you guys sold me, I'm getting it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 12 2011, 02:58 PM)
I'm amazed at how good "A Grounding In Numbers" is. It's currently a strong contender for my album of the year (yes, I know we're only 4 months in).

It's bloody marvellous.

If you are disappointed by it, I will personally go out and verbally harrass a badger.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 12 2011, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 12 2011, 02:58 PM)

It's bloody marvellous.

If you are disappointed by it, I will personally go out and verbally harrass a badger.

As long as it's not "One Live Badger" (now that was another classic album).