Van Der Graaf Generator

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 30 2011, 01:35 AM)
How to describe VdGG:

Dracula on vocals
Frankenstein's Monster on keys and organs
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on drums
While some guy is making love to a saxophone

applaudit.gif

funny (almost true) description.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My copy of Live at the Paradiso came today (it was only 4 bucks!) and I'm really surprised how good they still sound without David Jackson. I do miss the saxophones but they're great as a trio. I can't wait to see them in June.

A while back I got the Peter Hammill solo album The Noise. I got around to listening to it the other day and I can't say I was impressed. I know his older stuff is better but I was a little disappointed. Maybe it just needs more listens.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 9 2012, 09:53 PM)
My copy of Live at the Paradiso came today (it was only 4 bucks!) and I'm really surprised how good they still sound without David Jackson. I do miss the saxophones but they're great as a trio. I can't wait to see them in June.

A while back I got the Peter Hammill solo album The Noise. I got around to listening to it the other day and I can't say I was impressed. I know his older stuff is better but I was a little disappointed. Maybe it just needs more listens.

I'm currently wading through the 7 disc Hammill box, Pno Gtr Vox.

All life is here.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 10 2012, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 9 2012, 09:53 PM)

I'm currently wading through the 7 disc Hammill box, Pno Gtr Vox.

All life is here.

Nice wub.gif I saw Steven Wilson yesterday and it was f***ing amazing so right now I'm going through everything SW related but before that I was on a VdGG streak and curiosity got the best of me...Wilson should contact Jackson and have him as a guest on the next album. Theo Travis is one of my favorite wind players but imagine him alongside Jackson? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 16 2012, 03:56 PM)
New VDGG album in June!!
To coincide with the tour (and perhaps to the astonishment of many) there'll be a new VdGG release in June, again on Esoteric Records. Of this, there'll be more news very soon....

1022.gif 1022.gif Awesome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hopefully its good and they play a bunch at Nearfest! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 16 2012, 02:56 PM)
New VDGG album in June!!
To coincide with the tour (and perhaps to the astonishment of many) there'll be a new VdGG release in June, again on Esoteric Records. Of this, there'll be more news very soon....

Oh my god wub.gif

I can't find the original source for this but it seems legit.

Following on from A Grounding in Numbers released in March 2011 Esoteric Antenna are delighted to announce a new title with Van Der Graaf Generator--ALT release date 25th June 2012

'ALT' is a new studio album by the legendary VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR and follows on from the release of "A GROUNDING IN NUMBERS" in 2011.

"ALT" is no ordinary Van Der Graaf Generator album (if the term "ordinary" could ever be applied to this visionary group). PETER HAMMILL explains; "Instrumental Improvs & Experiments - Most of the music on "ALT" was made while we weren't really looking, or perhaps only while the left side of our collective brain was engaged. The album is a mixture of improvisations recorded at sound checks and in the studio and more considered sonic creations which often verge on Musique Concrete. The thirteen pieces here offer a fascinating glimpse into an alternative Van der Graaf Generator sound world. Perhaps the closest comparison would be with the second CD of "Present", but even the link with those recordings is tenuous. Even by Van der Graaf Generator standards, this stuff's at the whacky end of the scale!"

This instrumental album is another side of Van Der Graaf Generator, a truly unique listening experience.

The title will come both in CD and limited edition vinyl.

http://thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?4381...rator&p=1454059

I've listened to Present once and I wasn't too crazy about the second disc. Hopefully this will be better. It does sound pretty interesting though!

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 16 2012, 05:20 PM)
Following on from A Grounding in Numbers released in March 2011 Esoteric Antenna are delighted to announce a new title with Van Der Graaf Generator--ALT release date 25th June 2012

'ALT' is a new studio album by the legendary VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR and follows on from the release of "A GROUNDING IN NUMBERS" in 2011.

"ALT" is no ordinary Van Der Graaf Generator album (if the term "ordinary" could ever be applied to this visionary group). PETER HAMMILL explains; "Instrumental Improvs & Experiments - Most of the music on "ALT" was made while we weren't really looking, or perhaps only while the left side of our collective brain was engaged. The album is a mixture of improvisations recorded at sound checks and in the studio and more considered sonic creations which often verge on Musique Concrete. The thirteen pieces here offer a fascinating glimpse into an alternative Van der Graaf Generator sound world. Perhaps the closest comparison would be with the second CD of "Present", but even the link with those recordings is tenuous. Even by Van der Graaf Generator standards, this stuff's at the whacky end of the scale!"

This instrumental album is another side of Van Der Graaf Generator, a truly unique listening experience.

I've listened to Present once and I wasn't too crazy about the second disc. Hopefully this will be better. It does sound pretty interesting though!

I'm a bit disappointed that it's instrumental because VdGG lyrics are some of my favorite, but what the hell, it's Hammill! biggrin.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 17 2012, 12:02 AM)

I'm a bit disappointed that it's instrumental because VdGG lyrics are some of my favorite, but what the hell, it's Hammill! biggrin.gif 1022.gif

My God! That's fantastic!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 17 2012, 06:16 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 17 2012, 12:02 AM)

My God! That's fantastic!

I do like the second disc of Present though, but I think it's not as strong as the first disc, which is pretty strong material.

I'm hoping for something like Still Life mixed with a dash of Pawn Hearts, the occasional beauty of songs like House with no Door, Refugees, and Man-erg, and an even whackier crazy eclectic approach. wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif I'd really love some lyrics because Hammill is perhaps my favorite lyricist with Neil but this is just fine smile.gif

I'm just finishing the new album. Its very weird and experimental - you'd never know it was them. Not really sure what to think. I did enjoy it but I don't see myself listening to it that often. It sounds like good music to fall asleep to or to study to.

The concert on Friday night, their 3rd show ever in the USA, was amazing. 1022.gif They only played 3 old songs - Scorched Earth, Childlike Faith, and Refugees (2nd time ever playing it live). They also played a version of Peter Hammill's solo epic Flight, which I wasn't familiar with but I enjoyed it. The rest of the set was made up of tracks from Trisector and A Grounding In Numbers. Thank god I like those 2 albums, especially Trisector, or the concert would've been terrible. All That Before and Your Time Starts Now were great live. I met the band after the show and they were all very personable. All in all it was a great show even though I would've liked to have seen Man-Erg live.