Fried Chicken

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Apr 7 2011, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 7 2011, 12:00 PM)
what if there are no popeye's nearby and only kfc or boston market?  which one would you choose?  i've never eaten at popeye's and i'm not saying anything bad about popeye's or anything but they are only in the bad areas of the city where i am.  unsure.gif

KFC

wow is boston market that bad? health code violations or the chicken just sucks?

OK, that's it. I'm making chicken wings tonite. Making my own breading.

I'm looooking for chhhiiiicken!

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Apr 6 2011, 05:38 PM)
I always have trouble getting the temperature just right when I try to make fried chicken. I use a large cast iron skillet with canola oil. My mother always makes great fried chicken, but I seem to either get the oil too smoking hot and overcook the chicken or not hot enough and then have greasy soggy chicken. Any hints?

I have a real sophisticated method for testing my oil temperature. Drop a cube of bread in it for a minute; it should turn golden brown. White, the oil's to cold; black, it's too hot (although you've probably burned the oil and don't want to cook with it at this point).

School fried chicken = nasty.

KFC = Not that great, but not as bad as school.

Other fried chicken, in general = pretty darn good. Thumbs up.

(I need to go down South and get the REAL stuff one of these days..)

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 7 2011, 11:29 PM)
School fried chicken = nasty.
KFC = Not that great, but not as bad as school.
Other fried chicken, in general = pretty darn good. Thumbs up.

(I need to go down South and get the REAL stuff one of these days..)

The real stuff spends some time in a buttermik bath before being battered and fried.

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Apr 6 2011, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2011, 11:57 AM)
I love making my own fried chicken at home. I just hate the nasty grease smell that lingers afterwords.
I do the whole, flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour deal. Makes for some killer chicken.

I always have trouble getting the temperature just right when I try to make fried chicken. I use a large cast iron skillet with canola oil. My mother always makes great fried chicken, but I seem to either get the oil too smoking hot and overcook the chicken or not hot enough and then have greasy soggy chicken. Any hints?

Use one of those thermometers that clip onto the side. Foolproof.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 7 2011, 01:46 PM)
do white castle chicken rings count?

NO! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 8 2011, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (summer_sky @ Apr 6 2011, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2011, 11:57 AM)
I love making my own fried chicken at home. I just hate the nasty grease smell that lingers afterwords.
I do the whole, flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour deal. Makes for some killer chicken.

Use one of those thermometers that clip onto the side. Foolproof.

fowlproof rimshot.gif

NeilFinal.gif

bolt.gif