Rush & Philsophy - new book out May 1st?

Jomboni

I think I'd like this. I like when Rush gets the high-brow treatment. They're a band that deserves more than the occassional biographical book written on an 8th-grade reading level.

I enjoyed Carol Selby Price's Mystic Rhythms: The Philosophical Vision of Rush. She has a doctorate in philosophy, and she analyzed Neil's lyrics for their "deeper meanings."

I got the Kindle Edition in February. Enjoyed it very much. It's quite scholarly and in-depth. The author is obviously a fan but he's also a musician. He goes into detail about La Villa at one point and I learned a lot I hadn't known about it.

Definitely worthwhile.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 1 2011, 02:25 PM)
I think I'd like this.  I like when Rush gets the high-brow treatment.  They're a band that deserves more than the occassional biographical book written on an 8th-grade reading level.

I enjoyed Carol Selby Price's Mystic Rhythms: The Philosophical Vision of Rush.  She has a doctorate in philosophy, and she analyzed Neil's lyrics for their "deeper meanings."

I enjoyed this book too. I had the chance to interview her co-author and husband on my podcast where we talked about that book.

http://www.miskeptics.org/2011/02/bonus-po...r-robert-price/

QUOTE (abaco @ Apr 16 2011, 10:11 PM)
Rush's philsophy = Peart's philsophy = Ayn Rand

I love Ayn Rand !!!!!!

Um... not so much as you might think. They've grown up a lot since they read Rand (thank Goodness). Their philosophy mirrors hers only insofar as it encompasses the individual's right to be the "Captain of their own ship." Geddy said that the only thing they really took away from Rand was her "artistic manifesto."

So, no, they are not selfish hypocrites.

and this just showed up in the mail today..

cant wait to dig in. I have an idea for another big RUSH podcast

http://www.popmatters.com/images/book_cover_art/r/rush_rock_music_middle_class.jpg

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 17 2011, 03:41 AM)

I love Ayn Rand !!!!!!

Um... not so much as you might think. They've grown up a lot since they read Rand (thank Goodness). Their philosophy mirrors hers only insofar as it encompasses the individual's right to be the "Captain of their own ship." Geddy said that the only thing they really took away from Rand was her "artistic manifesto."

Just read the lyrics: Faithless, BU2B, Caravan.

Just listen the Time Machine setlist : Faithless, BU2B, Freewill.

Grown? Not much. Neil is more radical and intransigent.

Back in the early/mid 80's I was really into heavy metal, and I also really loved Rush. The reason why, of all the groups I listened to avidly back then, Rush is the only one I still listen to on a very regular basis, is primarily because they had really intelligent lyrics to go along with their ass-kicking music.

That said, while I admire the philosophy of many of their songs, if it has impacted my life in a significant way, which I doubt, it's been on somewhat of a subconscious level, that is to say, that I really don't think at all about a "Rush philosophy." I know for many they have been truly inspirational in that regard. For me they're not, but I do admire a lot of their lyrics, and they are a significant part of why I love the band. Most concepts they bring up I agree with or appreciate, and some I don't on a fundamental level, but at least the lyrics make you think and aren't just about girls and rocking. In terms of lyrics that REALLY speak to me, however, I would lean mostly towards The Moody Blues, and then Yes.

QUOTE (abaco @ Apr 17 2011, 06:58 AM)

I love Ayn Rand !!!!!!

Of course they've grown! smile.gif

It's been almost FORTY years since they got together and started making songs. They don't write songs exactly the way they used to do, and they certainly don't think and view the world exactly like they did way back then. That's part of Life. You live, you learn, and you grow. You do not remain static.

How is Neil Peart a "radical"? It seems to me that he's just a normal guy, who prefers to live in and enjoy the real world as it is. He is "no one's disciple" (his own words), as he is a grown man and a free thinker. Nothing radical or intransigent about that. He simply stands behind his beliefs. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 17 2011, 07:40 AM)

I love Ayn Rand !!!!!!

It's been almost FORTY years since they got together and started making songs. They don't write songs exactly the way they used to do, and they certainly don't think and view the world exactly like they did way back then. That's part of Life. You live, you learn, and you grow. You do not remain static.

How is Neil Peart a "radical"? It seems to me that he's just a normal guy, who prefers to live in and enjoy the real world as it is. He is "no one's disciple" (his own words), as he is a grown man and a free thinker. Nothing radical or intransigent about that. He simply stands behind his beliefs. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

goodpost.gif

He took his early beliefs and they evolved. That is all. First he said no use in looking 'round, and to look only forward.

That is true when you are young. Give it your all so that in the future...

"I'm not looking back, but I want to look around me now."

He evolved. He used to think it was only about looking forward. For a while it was, but looking forward eventually leads to looking around.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Apr 1 2011, 01:57 PM)
You can read excerpts on amazon to get an idea if it's something you're interested in.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.........etc! no.gif

http://www.hipstertravelguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/111-0727233135-suckers-4.png

* Same Ole' Drivel

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 17 2011, 09:48 AM)

I love Ayn Rand !!!!!!

goodpost.gif

He took his early beliefs and they evolved. That is all. First he said no use in looking 'round, and to look only forward.

He evolved. He used to think it was only about looking forward. For a while it was, but looking forward eventually leads to looking around.

And what is this video?

Malignant Narcissism

This is philsophy. This is the Peart's battle.

th1245.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 17 2011, 02:41 AM)

I love Ayn Rand !!!!!!

Yeah, nothing would ever get done if everyone patterned their lives on her philosophy. Can you imagine everyone fighting because they have the answers and refuse to compromise on most things in life?

I don't think I'd be interested. Most of my enjoyment of Rush music has come from my own interpretations and associations with things in my own life. And many times, those interpretations aren't what Neil is even talking about.

From that, I've found the meanings I wouldn't trade in for a book on Neil's views.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 17 2011, 10:51 AM)
Is this a book that can ruin your rooted memory of Rush songs? Sometimes delving deeper into lyrics can taint your original memories of the song.

Why they kept Faithless in Time machine's set list?

Ohhhh... everyone hates this song.

But.... the message is clear. We aren't deafs. Or no?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 17 2011, 10:57 AM)
I don't think I'd be interested. Most of my enjoyment of Rush music has come from my own interpretations and associations with things in my own life. And many times, those interpretations aren't what Neil is even talking about.

From that, I've found the meanings I wouldn't trade in for a book on Neil's views.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 17 2011, 07:48 AM)

I love Ayn Rand !!!!!!

goodpost.gif

Looking around entails looking back.

I love Ayn Rand !!!!!!

Neil's a "free thinker", lol? He squats on the philosophies of others and then abandons them for the next philosophie du jour.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 17 2011, 01:30 PM)

I love Ayn Rand !!!!!!

Neil's a "free thinker", lol? He squats on the philosophies of others and then abandons them for the next philosophie du jour.

or he changes is ideals over time with experience and education. I think you just like being a dick about it

Archived