Snakes and Arrows

Good,bad,andrush

Not official or anything, but i've always thought this was a great album and that there is definitely some theme behind it. So I went and invented a little story about it.

It's a war story.

So this rather arrogant guy joins the army. The training makes him realize the type of world he is living in (far cry). His life is certainly changed, but he keeps his attitude and heads to war (armor and sword). He realizes here that it is not just physical weapons playing a part in war...there aremany aspects to it.

He returns home, sees his family, recalls everything. But he is later called for duty. He doesn't head straight into war, but he is still (workin' them angels) even when he was with his family. As he's helping around in third-world nations, he realizes how redundant and unfair life can be. (the larger bowl, and why it is in pantoum format).

He begins to miss his family as he stares into the ocean while, beginning to question his life. He got into an argument with his wife, and he wants to fix it but can't because of what is happening. (Spindrift).

Large instrumental bridge symbolizing all the drama and the atmosphere of the war and how it can be rather insipid at times. (the main monkey business)

The character marches back into war, this time depressed. He wonders...the only way to go is (the way the wind blows) in this scenario.

But a spark of (hope) in what he is doing. The belligerence will end soon...but he must end. He loses faith (faithless) in the war, and what caused it, and marches in believing that hope and love will pull him through. He applies his (bravest face) having learned that his arrogance at the beginning made him only a child at heart. Now he has matured.

But bad news has arrived...it is unclear exactly what...but a ray of optimism has him realizing that he doesn't have that arrogance around him now (good news first). He reflects, and finishes his deeds (malignant narcissism). Upon arriving him, he clings on to his humanity, what he learned, and begins to live anew (we hold on).

What do you think, if you read it all?

Interesting. cool.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Feb 26 2011, 06:25 AM)
i liked it,it shows imagination,i suppose this method of writing could be applied to a lot of albums to come up with a plausible tale...nice wink.gif

I'e been thinking of that myself. But s&a ws the first that came to mind, and the easiest to do so far,

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Feb 26 2011, 08:50 AM)
While your post is interesting, it doesn't matter what anyone comes up with to explain S&A, I still think the album is crap.

And that is totally fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I love it. 1022.gif

Actually a lot of their albums are concept albums, but not in the traditional sense. I read somewhere where Neil talks about it. They don't all tell a story but there is a common theme running through a lot of their albums. The songs on each album talk about a common idea or ideas.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 26 2011, 09:15 AM)
Actually a lot of their albums are concept albums, but not in the traditional sense. I read somewhere where Neil talks about it. They don't all tell a story but there is a common theme running through a lot of their albums. The songs on each album talk about a common idea or ideas.

Yeah, i had noticed that. That is why they always remained prog in my book. They truly keep progressing.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Feb 26 2011, 08:50 AM)
While your post is interesting, it doesn't matter what anyone comes up with to explain S&A, I still think the album is crap.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 26 2011, 08:15 AM)
Actually a lot of their albums are concept albums, but not in the traditional sense.  I read somewhere where Neil talks about it.  They don't all tell a story but there is a common theme running through a lot of their albums.  The songs on each album talk about a common idea or ideas.

goodpost.gif

Yup. It took me a while to realize it, but there are themes running through some albums.

Certainly Power Windows and maybe Grace Under Pressure. The first one looks at all the different types of power (of money, of war, of the supernatural..?). GUP, to me, has a common theme in that all the songs have to do with not losing it when you're under pressure. It's about perseverance.

The other day I was thinking of Roll the Bones along these lines too. Well - at least, for a couple songs. "Face Up", the title track, "Neurotica", "The Big Wheel"... All about taking chances and gambles in life. Lyrically, I actually like that album. laugh.gif

I like your story and the proposal of S&A being a concept album... thanks for the post!

I like Snakes & Arrows and even Vapor Trails doh.gif, but I still have a hard time trying to like Counterparts... maybe someday I'll have a change of heart.

Archived