114 Rush songs ranked and reviewed by Kenneth

Mr. Not

Right, thought about doing one of my own for a while now because people here seem to actually care about every individuals in depth opinions on Rush's songs.

But to save trouble, I'm only reviewing the 114 songs I actually listen to - senseless to bitch about how bad I think certain songs are when the rest of you may actually like them (this was the problem I had with Deckiller's thread).

Since CA isn't out yet, Caravan isn't on this list. It's not that I don't like the song (as i don't BU2B), but I don't currently own it (even digitally) since the album isn't out. In other words, I don't do singles.

alright so let's start:

114 - The Twilight Zone

Very fun song melodically and lyrically, not so much instrumentally however. Pretty standard song besides the chorus. You can tell they were having fun with this one and we have this cool piece as a result.

5/10

113 - The Weapon

I never did get this song too much, sounds like a synthy take on western music. The lyrics and guitar solo kick ass though, that's what saves it. Nothing more to say about that.

5.5/10

112 - Nobody's Hero

If I were a fan in the 70's, never would I imagine they write a song like this. It's a pretty song, nice and catchy, but not something I can listen to over and over again. I really like the way Geddy says "I didn't know the girl" at the beginning of the second verse, and I love the line "Tried to hold some faith in the goodness of humanity."

5.5/10

All for now

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

111 - Limbo

Really cool, energetic instrumental. Problem is that it's pretty repetitive. It seems like they had a jam going on here and they tried to evolve it into a song much like they did with Far Cry. Difference is Far Cry is a very well crafted song where as Limbo remains just a cool jam (and that's not just because it's instrumental, compare it to TMMB or LVS) 5.5/10

110 - I Think I'm Going Bald

Like Twilight Zone, it's a fun song not to be taken too seriously. It's a rock song. 5.5/10

109 - Faithless

Good song though the beaten horse subject by Neil and horrid melody of the chorus butcher it. If it weren't for those two factors, the song could have been a masterpiece, just listen to those verses! 6/10

more later on tonight, I'm sure.

Edited by Kenneth

108 - Everyday Glory

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=60319

6/10

107 - Entre Nous

Can't really get into the whole love concept, at least in a song like this. It's a pretty straight forward song aside from some of the Lerxstar playing. 6/10

106 - Second Nature

It's a pop song! The piano line really stinks, how uncreative, but the lyrics and melody are nice. I like the guitar too, what's up with people saying HYF has no guitar? All alex did was change his tone and playing a bit, in result we get a pseudo masterpiece of an 80s album (pseudo due to the last 2 songs, proud of me goobs? tongue.gif ). 6/10

normally I will enter 3 per post, but I'm eager to get this next one out of the way:

105 - The Necromancer

Now we've all heard the rants about the narration in this song, and I feel the same way about it. Let me review the actual music however:

Into the Darkness - Boring, it's okay lyrically, but pretty dull overall.

Under the Shadow - The part that I absolutely must skip, I have to be paying half attention to the song in order to sit through it. Nice shredding Alex, top class. I'd almost rather listen to this:

Return of the Prince - What saves the song, beautiful. Much like LoTR, it has a nice, happy ending. But at least in LoTR the journey into Mordor didn't force me to plug my ears. Return of the Prince as a stand alone song would probably be in my top 10 or 20 rush songs.

6/10

3 per entry? Pah, I have nothing else to do for the next hour... Why not add some more? (I have up to #80 planned out so far. Not reviews though, just ranks.)

104 - Resist

Good lyrically, I like the message though some of the squeezed out rhymes deprive of it. Nice ballad, not so impressive instrumentally but in an album like Test for Echo it makes a nice break from the hard rock frenzy. 6/10

103 - Dog Years

Yeah, I listen to it every now and again. I like the guitar playing a lot. Sure the lyrics are bad and the chorus could have been much better, but it's truly a good song overall. 6/10

102 - Good News First

I'm sure most of us agree with this song, no one likes bad news.. On a different note, bad news is the news we should focus on the most a lot of time. The verses are eery and weird, I like it smile.gif "Some would say they never fear a thing, well I do.." Love this song so much sometimes, but only sometimes. 6/10

101 - Dreamline

Something irreplaceable about the song, I don't think there's anything else out there quite like it. It's good, all the instruments collaborate well. 6/10

100 - Roll the Bones

Really catchy song, there's no getting used to the rap though. It's on the good half of the songs on RTB. 6/10

99 - Presto

Corny lyrics, but the song really builds up, and there's a lot of beauty in it. 6/10

98 - Virtuality

Really awesome riff, lame lyrics. It's a lot like Dog years in many regards, the difference which makes virtuality so much better though is it's chorus. 6/10

97 - Hope

Cool guitar playing by Alex. Sounds kind of country inspired (like the larger bowl), but maybe that's just me. It's not the best acoustic guitar piece I've heard by Alex. 6/10

96 - Bravest Face

The acoustic guitar makes this song too! And it's an inspiring negative song for a change. 6/10

95 - Animate

The verses are all I really like here, the rest of the song seems so out of the norm. I'm not a fan of the chorus, repetitive chorus's are kind of a turn off. 6/10

94 - Spindrift

Sounds like spy music. This song is dragged out, but it's one of Rush's heaviest pieces (yes, heavier than their old stuff. The heaviness is all in the tone and distortion and Alex just loves to go apeshit with distortion now), and Geddy's singing is pretty cool too. 6/10

Alright, done for today because otherwise I'm going to burn out.

93 - Totem

This song has a nice variety of sounds. I like Geddy's "woahs" throughout the choruses. 6/10

92 - The Stars Look Down

This used to be my favorite song from VT. I personally think they're on fire on this song. Only problem with this song really is that it's a bit repetitive. 6/10

91 - Manhattan Project

0:14 - 0:30 = Barney Music!

Cheeseball song with a cheeseball concept, good thing it has that awesome synthy PoW instrument sound to save it big time. The ending guitar solo makes for one of the most memorable Rush moments. 6.5/10

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jan 22 2011, 01:19 AM)
93 - Totem
This song has a nice variety of sounds. I like Geddy's "woahs" throughout the choruses. 6/10

92 - The Stars Look Down
This used to be my favorite song from VT. I personally think they're on fire on this song. Only problem with this song really is that it's a bit repetitive. 6/10

91 - Manhattan Project
Cheeseball song with a cheeseball concept, good thing it has that awesome synthy PoW instrument sound to save it big time. The ending guitar solo makes for one of the most memorable Rush moments. 6.5/10

Enrico was all about his cheese 1022.gif

90 - Available Light

"Oh the wind can Carry.."

I love the song besides the part where the actually title is sang "Available Light", so in this regard it's a lot like "XAN-A-DOOOO", everything in the song is good except that one bit. 6.5/10

89 - Open Secrets

"Time Will do It's Healing"

(Now that we're getting into higher ranked songs I'm going to start quoting a lot more). I especially love the solo in this song, and how that one Time Stand Still lady sings along near the end of it. 6.7/10

88 - Closer to the Heart

Much like Open Secrets, the solo is exceptionally good. We've all heard the song, the acoustic guitar at the intro is great too. No going wrong with a classic. 6.7/10

87 - Red Tide

"The Party is Disrupted by and Uninvited Guest"

"Stay out of the Sun... It only Burns my Skin"

I think that this is the most synth heavy song they have. Love it. 6.8/10

86 - Best I Can

"Got my Sights on the Stars, Won't Get that Far - But I'll try Anyway."

I've said before that this song has a real cocky douchebag attitude in some lines, and then a "persevering for success" attitude in others. When you compare this song to By-Tor you really see the key difference between Neil & Rustey. I love the bass in this song. 6.8/10

85 - Witch Hunt

This song would be ranked higher if it weren't for the production. A very heavy song for it's time, when played live on the S&A tour it sounded too heavy really laugh.gif

I think the song is also a bit too slow. 6.8/10

84 - Rivendell

Nice acoustic guitar, singing, and lyrics. I feel at home when I listen to it. Geddy's voice was a bit girlier here than usual, but it really just adds to the charm of the song. 7/10

83 - Time Stand Still

"To Pass an Evening with a Drink and a Friend."

Beautiful song, wonderfully crafted. I'd appreciate it a whole lot more if I had love in my life and more friends. Don't sympathize tongue.gif 7/10

82 - The Big Money

"Sometimes..."

Love this song so much! Half the time I listen to it I'm watching the music video. Such a rockin' 80's song. The synth line during the chorus (right before Geddy sings) is another very memorable moment. PoW seems to be a representative album of theirs to me. 7/10

81 - Grand Designs

Very Ska-like, and natural harmonic reliant. Beautiful melody from keys and vocals. I can't help but think to myself, "why isn't this song rated higher since it's so perfect?"

...Well, we'll see

7.3/10

Edited by Kenneth

114 - twilight zone

113 - the weapon

112 - nobody's hero

111 - limbo

110 - I think I'm going bald

109 - faithless

108 - everyday glory

107 - entre nous

106 - second nature

105 - the necromancer

104 - resist

103 - dog years

102 - good news first

101 - dreamline

100 - roll the bones

099 - presto

098 - virtuality

097 - hope

096 - bravest face

095 - animate

094 - spindrift

093 - totem

092 - the stars look down

091 - manhattan project

090 - avaliable light

089 - open secrets

088 - closer to the heart

087 - red tide

086 - best i can

085 - witch hunt

084 - rivendell

083 - time stand still

082 - the big money

081 - grand designs

Can't agree with this list -

If this is the bottom 9% of the Rush Catalogue according to Kenneth then something has gone badly wrong.

Animate, Dreamline, Manhattan Project, CTTH, Availible Light should all be in the top half - seriously

I know it is just personal taste and opinion, but c'mon what are your criteria?

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif 2.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Jan 22 2011, 04:52 AM)
Animate, Dreamline, Manhattan Project, CTTH, Availible Light should all be in the top half - seriously

I know it is just personal taste and opinion, but c'mon what are your criteria?

While I would put all of those songs in the top half of my list, this list reflects his opinions on Rush's catalog. Whether his opinion deviates from the norm is another matter, but it doesn't make his opinion any less valid.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jan 22 2011, 03:32 AM)
93 - Totem

92 - The Stars Look Down

91 - Manhattan Project

I thought Enrico was all about playing with bonfires?

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 22 2011, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jan 22 2011, 03:32 AM)
93 - Totem

92 - The Stars Look Down

91 - Manhattan Project

I thought Enrico was all about playing with bonfires?

That too, Enrico was a man rather fond of his fondue as well.

unsure.gif

80 - One Little Victory

Fast drumming, balls to the wall rock in every regard. 7.3/10

79 - Leave That Thing Alone

I always pay attention to the bass in this song, I just have to. 7.5/10

78 - Working Them Angels

A good rock song from Snakes & Arrows, my appreciation for the song fluctuates. 7.5/10

77 - Something For Nothing

"Waiting for the Winds of Change, to Sweep the Clouds away."

"You Won't get Wise, with the Sleep still in your Eyes, no Matter what your Dream might be."

Great motivational heavy metal song about taking action. I like the structure of the song and the acoustic guitar in the verses, the song kind of has a haunting feel to it (or, as Geddy explains it, it gives you a false sense of security). 7.5/10

Edited by Kenneth

76 - Lessons

This song has a very similar structure as Something For Nothing, but I like this song a tad bit better because of the bass. When it comes lyrical message, I like Something for Nothing's a bit more. Either way, two great classics from 2112. 7.5/10

75 - Armor and Sword

"Meditation or Medication - A Comfort or a Promised reward."

"Sometimes the Fortress is to strong or the Love is too Weak."

This song has a really heavy power chord riff.. Which isn't so common in Rush songs so it's kind of nice to hear here but it's not something I want to hear in all songs which is why I feel kind of uneasy about CA. The acoustic guitar is nice, but the song is overall depressing. 7.5/10

74 - The Big Wheel

I love this song, how could anyone not love the chorus at the least? My second favorite song from Roll the Bones.

And also I guess this song is proof that Neil is agnostic tongue.gif 7.5/10

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 25 2011, 02:04 PM)
Hehe, I like what you wrote about Big Wheel. That's one of those odd songs where the music is all upbeat and happy, then you have these very negative and overly serious lyrics.

bekloppt.gif where have you been?

73 - Superconducter

I think this is their most stereotypical rock song. The lyrical theme is just as TSOR's is, about commercial artists. I really love the synth in this song, a melody so sweet wub.gif 7.5/10

72 - Chain Lightning

"When the moment dies"

Something really unique about this song, it has the powerful riff much like Red Tide's after "The party is disrupted by an interrupted Guest." I always thought this would make a cool live song. Imagine the solo! 7.5/10

71 - A Passage to Bangkok

I really don't like the lyrics, this is the Rush song that the big time stoner's have stolen, along with Tom Sawyer, just because the words smoke or high are used.. The guitar playing is really the only reason I'd listen to this song. 7.5/10

(judging by my reviews so far, you can probably tell I didn't whip up the perfect list. I'll post a revised version after I get through all the reviews. The reviews will remain the same, just the placings will change. As for the out of 10 ratings? might as well ignore those, they're just pretty.)

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jan 27 2011, 01:55 AM)
73 - Superconducter
I think this is their most stereotypical rock song. The lyrical theme is just as TSOR's is, about commercial artists. I really love the synth in this song, a melody so sweet wub.gif 7.5/10

The synth is what I really like about this song, too. Nice in the bridge but even better when it comes in on the final choruses. Beautiful.

I'm enjoying this... don't agree with you 100%, but who would? This is your list and your opinions. As it should be.

Please continue...... cool.gif

70 - Double Agent

"Wilderness of Mirrors"

1022.gif Really, this song has it all. I'd say that the "Anywhere but here" lines are the weak parts of the song. I really like Geddy's narration. 7.5/10

69 - Between Sun & Moon

"Why the Sun?"

Neil's drumming on Counterparts has this reoccurring theme. This song doesn't require any time of improvement really. 8/10

68 - Cut to the Chase

Another rockin' song from CP 8/10

67 - The Pass

"And now you're Trembling on a Rocky Ledge"

High School song ph34r.gif

The lyrics are great and I love watching the music video for this one, though Alex's shades kind of kill the mood.

This is my absolute favorite song to listen to when I'm depressed about my future, and trust me, this being my Senior year it will happen again sometime soon. 8/10