Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

So why this sudden interest in a Telecaster? Have you become a country/rockabilly picker?

Not sudden -- I've been jonesing for a Tele for years. Me and Cyg have had convos about how much we'd like a Tele to round out our stables. I almost bought one a year and a half ago, and I posted about it here. I'm glad that one didn't work out, because I like the one I got today better, and that's saying a lot.

• Like 1

I've really come around on the MIM Fenders.

You can either buy a MIM Fender made by Mexicans, or you can buy a Made in America Fender, made by the same Mexicans. I'm more than willing to swap pickups. Luckily in my case so far, I love the stock pickups.

Edited by Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 1

You guys!

Knock it off. I am in the middle of a studio upgrade and you are pulling THIS garbage!

My dad has my Epi Lester so I am still contemplating an SG. But I would like a Tele, probably a Chinese Squire like my buddy's that we've been recording.

That's ok, I am the only one of us with a Ric 12... ;p

If ever a guitar was me, it is this one.

Sweet! Damn, I need a Tele. Details on that one, please.

I DID say I needed a Tele, did I not?

Me and a friend went to GC today. They had a 15% off trade-in sale, so he brought in a few things and picked up a new Deluxe Reverb. Meanwhile I was sitting there playing a new Tele that I couldn't put down. My friend (owner of two Teles) sat down and he played it too, and of course he suggested I buy it. Easy for him to say! He asked the sales guy, "What can you do if he got this Tele?" "I'll take 15% off of that, too." Pretty good considering I didn't bring anything to trade in.

So I bought it. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Guitars/Tele2_zpsbc9de815.jpg

MIM FSR Tele, butterscotch, hot standard pickups, ash body, classic three saddle bridge with brass inserts. The neck and frets are very nice. $461 with tax. Happy!

Nice. I would stap a TX special in the neck though. :)

What is the GC exchange rate on used gear? 50-60% of eBay prices? I have some gear to unload, and was thinking about a tele or a SRV or EJ maybe (kinda want a 12 radius fender).

They will give you half of what they can sell it for. You will be better selling on craigslist.
  • Like 1

A guy I played with had something similar back in the 80s. There is a company somewhere that makes picks out of rock and stone. You can get some interesting effects from scrapes but too thick for me.

Give me a Fender or Gibson Heavy or Medium and I am fine...

I guess Billy Gibbons uses pesos or quarters from what I've read. Crazy.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

These picks are acrylic, and actually very light in weight. I have some smaller ones that are 2.85 mm thick. The one in the picture is 9 mm. The idea is to use that one to practice, and then when you switch to the thinner picks, you have better control over them.

Finally put some new strings on my Tele (.10's.)

Next up will be new pickups, probably some kind of Seymour Duncan Tele replacement combo or another.

Although I've really liked my Tele's pickups, so far, I know I need to change them. It just depends on how hot I want to go.

Next up will be new pickups, probably some kind of Seymour Duncan Tele replacement combo or another.

Although I've really liked my Tele's pickups, so far, I know I need to change them. It just depends on how hot I want to go.

Go en fuego...smokin' hot!
  • Like 1

I put some Texas Specials in a friend's Strat earlier this year. They were very Tele friendly sounding. I liked them a lot. Good bite and bottom.

I put 10s on my Tele too (the guitar came with 9s), and I much prefer the 10s. More oomph, and they feel more stable under the fingers.

And I figure I'll replace the pickups too, at some point. Maybe the Texas Specials that Cyg is talking about, or Dimarzio Twang Kings.

• Like 1

I put 10s on my Tele too (the guitar came with 9s), and I much prefer the 10s. More oomph, and they feel more stable under the fingers.

And I figure I'll replace the pickups too, at some point. Maybe the Texas Specials that Cyg is talking about, or Dimarzio Twang Kings.

In a week and a half, I'll be ready to buy the replacement pickups for my Tele. Right now I'm pretty set on going with a Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack in the neck, and either a Vintage Stack or Hot Stack in the bridge, and then getting coil splitters for the tone and volume knobs. That should make it pretty versatile.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/20140105_222920_zpse2fdc5dc.jpg

The control center.

Nice!! I like it. How do you store your guitars right now? I need to get a case for mine but I'm already dreaming of acquiring more and hanging them on the wall so I can just grab and play.

This new hobby is going to be the death of me I think.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/20140105_222920_zpse2fdc5dc.jpg

The control center.

Nice!! I like it. How do you store your guitars right now? I need to get a case for mine but I'm already dreaming of acquiring more and hanging them on the wall so I can just grab and play.

The black frame behind the amplifier on the left is actually a guitar stand that will hold seven guitars.

Here it is doing its thing.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/26462e25-fa4e-46c9-980b-214347c97600_zps849800c3.jpg

I have hard cases for each guitar except the Telecaster (the orange one.) That one has a soft case, which you can see leaning against the wall on the left. I keep my guitars out of their cases in the house so I can easily pick up whichever one I want to play at a particular moment.

The control center.

The black frame behind the amplifier on the left is actually a guitar stand that will hold seven guitars.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/26462e25-fa4e-46c9-980b-214347c97600_zps849800c3.jpg

I have hard cases for each guitar except the Telecaster (the orange one.) That one has a soft case, which you can see leaning against the wall on the left. I keep my guitars out of their cases in the house so I can easily pick up whichever one I want to play at a particular moment.

Those are beauties. I would need something for the wall since I have two little guys who are fascinated with the two guitars I currently have. One time, when I wasn't looking, my oldest had a heyday twisting the tuning pegs. Right after I tuned it, of course. I do want to have my guitars out instead of hidden away.

The control center.

Those are beauties. I would need something for the wall since I have two little guys who are fascinated with the two guitars I currently have. One time, when I wasn't looking, my oldest had a heyday twisting the tuning pegs. Right after I tuned it, of course. I do want to have my guitars out instead of hidden away.

Something like this?

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Hanging-Guitars_zps78367607.jpg

I want to do this eventually. You can do a Google search for guitar wall mounts and find any number of vendors.

Picked up a 2013 Gibson SG Standard a few days ago from the blowout sale and I really like it except the neck is a bit thicker than I like. It's giving me pains in my wrist after I play. I'm not sure if it's a technique thing or the neck just doesn't fit me. I'm used to playing a Les Paul with a fairly thin neck.

Picked up a 2013 Gibson SG Standard a few days ago from the blowout sale and I really like it except the neck is a bit thicker than I like. It's giving me pains in my wrist after I play. I'm not sure if it's a technique thing or the neck just doesn't fit me. I'm used to playing a Les Paul with a fairly thin neck.

Could just be that your wrist has to adapt to the new neck.