Viking metal bands

bigkostas

Not really my thing, but Enslaved and Bathory are great (Although their non-'Viking metal' stuff is better).

I'd say Amon Amarth and Alestorm are more Melo-death and Power Metal retrospectively, although Amon Amarth write exclusively about Viking shit it doesn't really have any ties with Black Metal like the benchmark 'Viking metal' stuff had.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 16 2010, 11:44 AM)
What about Thor? 1022.gif

rofl3.gif All he was good for was ripping phone books in half

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 17 2010, 05:39 PM)
What exactly is Viking metal? Is it a particular sound, or just referring to where the bands are from?

I can't do youtube on this computer, so if someone could just describe it for me, that'd be great.

Well they're usually from scandinavia, but not exclusively, and they're either old school metal or death metal, or folk metal or some kind of hybrid or maybe black metal and they kind of act or actually live like vikings, either way it's kind of theme or image for their work or the presentation thereof!

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 17 2010, 04:49 PM)
What exactly is Viking metal? Is it a particular sound, or just referring to where the bands are from?

I can't do youtube on this computer, so if someone could just describe it for me, that'd be great.

Well they're usually from scandinavia, but not exclusively, and they're either old school metal or death metal, or folk metal or some kind of hybrid or maybe black metal and they kind of act or actually live like vikings, either way it's kind of theme or image for their work or the presentation thereof!

Like Agalloch? I have The Mantle. If it's like that, then I know what ya'll are talking about.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 17 2010, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 17 2010, 04:49 PM)

Like Agalloch? I have The Mantle. If it's like that, then I know what ya'll are talking about.

The most blatent example would Amon Amarth.

Allagoch? Well sort of, but they're more of a mixture and aren't they from Oregon. To me they sound like melodic death metal...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 17 2010, 06:49 PM)

so they sail around northern Europe plundering or are they really just posing pussies?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 17 2010, 08:03 PM)

so they sail around northern Europe plundering or are they really just posing pussies?

laugh.gif

I would suspect the latter. But, in their defense, they DO have guitars. So, they aren't total panty waists.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 17 2010, 09:07 PM)
IMMORTAL

Fantastic band, with enough Nordic imagery to make Tolkien jealous. Not to mention the cheesiest poses in black metal history.

Beyond The North Waves

Withstand The Fall Of Time

I only got as far with that first link to see what they look like. Those aren't Vikings. no.gif Unless Kiss are Vikings, too. But, you're right. Super cheesy. laugh.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 17 2010, 09:58 PM)

laugh.gif

I would suspect the latter. But, in their defense, they DO have guitars. So, they aren't total panty waists.

Come off it you two, they're HARD!!! They're mean!!!!!!!!!!!! angry.gif

They play HARD too!

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

They're METAL!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

wacko.gif ...and then they go home and cuddle up with a teddy bear and a hot water bottle...it's cold in sweden... unsure.gif

ph34r.gif ohmy.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 18 2010, 12:29 AM)

laugh.gif

They play HARD too!

They're METAL!!

wacko.gif ...and then they go home and cuddle up with a teddy bear and a hot water bottle...it's cold in sweden... unsure.gif

Ok, well then they sound kinda like Dream Theatre.

bolt.gif

It's a pretty vague definition really. 'True' Viking metal is basically a variation on Black Metal and ambient music with a folky twist, and in that sense Amon Amarth etc aren't Viking Metal at all.

That said, they've come to be know as pretty much the definitive Viking Metal band, simply because they look and pretty much exclusively write lyrics about vikings and now most people associate it with Folk metal and melo-death.

• Like 1

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 18 2010, 02:42 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 18 2010, 12:29 AM)

laugh.gif

They play HARD too!

They're METAL!!

Ok, well then they sound kinda like Dream Theatre.

bolt.gif

I got my daughter guitar hero 5 and we are playing.

I notice that the generic bass player they assigned to us looks exactly like one of these viking metal dudes. White and black face makeup and giant horns coming out of his outfit. Watching this dude bop around while playing "play that funky music, white boy" was unnerving to say the least.

Been exploring this genre a lot recently. So many great bands. Here are my favorites:

Amon Amarth

Bathory

Falkenbach

Moonsorrow

Windir

Thyrfing

Enslaved

Finsterforst

Equilibrium

Unleashed

Manegarm

Kampfar