Stealing Deckiller's Brilliant Idea

Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Dec 22 2010, 01:16 AM)
There are literally tens of songs worse than Virtuality. The lyrics were appropriate at the time and still have a very poetic tone. They don't sound strange to someone born before the internet was popular.

I personally love Virtuality.

I'm trying to rank the songs in order of which are best by Rush standards. I'm trying to carefully analyze the harmonies of the music, the way they match the lyrics, and how difficult the music is to play. At the same time, I'm not spending days listening to the same song over and over. This is just for fun, and I really am having fun with it.

Another important factor is how memorable a song is; if I haven't heard it in a while, but I can remember it perfectly and remember that I loved it, well that will obviously rank it higher than a song that's not memorable.

Just so that you know, I'm gonna give a list of my favorites in order when I'm done with the reviews. It won't be too different from this last, but there are quite a few major changes; Virtuality is one of them.

Also, I'd like to let you guys know that I'm not gonna post for at least two days. I'm going to be out of town with no access to the internet, so the next post will be in about two days.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

134.THE BIG WHEEL

2.75/10

The strongest point of the song is the chorus; "the way the big wheel spins." It's also the only part of the song that sticks out to me. The rest is rather bland. I guess that's why it's forgettable. The intro is very odd. It's hard to determine wear the song is going from the intro. The synth in the intro seems somewhat promising, but it's still somewhat cheesy.

And then it's cheesy.

"Well I was only a kid," does not sound like a Rush lyric. At least the music is playful while he sings this, fitting in with the kid theme going on there, so the song gets points for that. The drumming is mediocre, and the bass is absent. Alex's has a nice playful riff going on.

Really though, the chorus is rather dreamy, as is this part at 3:00 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKx4jifHzko.

But besides that small bridge and the chorus, the song is really lacking.

I admire your effort. But, would you please consider using the word "cheesy" a little less often?

You're ignoring a plethora of more descriptive synonyms and adjectives. Just a little constructive criticism.

I like "The Big Wheel" a lot---(mostly for the groovy innovative guitar work in the chorus from AL) and some other songs that you have listed thus far that I think are listed way too low. However, I like how you made it clear that this isn't a favourites list, rather a compilation of Rush songs that fail to ignite due to their construction and execution worst to best in your opinion.

Again, I admire the effort.

Edited by geodesicdomer

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Dec 22 2010, 02:16 AM)
There are literally tens of songs worse than Virtuality. The lyrics were appropriate at the time and still have a very poetic tone. They don't sound strange to someone born before the internet was popular.

No, they don't sound strange to someone who was born before the Internet was popular, but they do sound stupid!

133.NEUROTICA

2.75/10

I guess I just don't get it. The strong, biting bassline at the beginning is catchy, but it's pretty much the same thing over and over. This song suffers from the same symptoms as Carve Away The Stone; it's just flat out boring. This song is higher because of Alex's mad solo. It's a real one, unlike the one in Carve Away The Stone. Also, the "oh-oh-oh-oh's" in the background add a nice touch to the song, even if they seem a little uninspired.

The weird noise in the middle of the song and at the end sounds like something the Blue Man Group would do, so it's peculiar, but at the same time neat. I feel this song could be a lot better with a better production; the drums sound thin and uninspired, the bass is lacking punch, and the guitar could take on a heavier sound. The lyrics would be more relevant that way, I think.

132.THE COLOR OF RIGHT

2.75/10

The intro starts a little heavy, and seems somewhat promising. But then the guitar chords Alex begins to play seem unnaturally upbeat. Unnaturally upbeat in the sense that it's hard to tell if it's supposed to sound happy or just neutral. The bass is just average for Geddy; nothing we haven't seen before. The singing that soon follows is completely lacking emotion.

Lyrically, the idea of (right is not equal to good), is interesting. But the music is very drab, therefore bringing the lyrics down with it. Alex's small solo in the middle of the song leads to that heavy part in the beginning, and it made me think the song would change directions and become awesome...but it went back to the dullness present everywhere else in the song.

131.OUT OF THE CRADLE

3/10

The opening bass is amazing. But then Geddy starts singing, and the song takes on a completely different direction. The second stanza is lacking something, but that could be the fault of the production.

Besides that, the song doesn't go anywhere. A few strange yet amazing bass licks here and there, a wall of noise by Alex, and average drumming by Neil.

It's message is powerful and direct; Neil is back and over his personal tragedies. But he told us that with One Little Victory.

Now, I give this song props for including the word "rocking" in a very unique and intelligent way. For those of you who didn't know, "Out Of The Cradle Endlessly Rocking" is a poem by Whitman. So if you thought Neil actually included the word "rocking" as in the elementary "let's rock and roll!" meaning, you were wrong. This is a very smart take on the inclusion of that elementary word.

130.HERESY

3/10

The highlight of this song is the recurring synth-line in the background. It took a while to grow on me, but it did. It does a good job of representing the emotions in the song. You can clearly hear that synth saying "It's over. Good. What do we do now?"

The intro of the song is top-notch; it begins with Neil's symbolic victory drumming, and then the synth takes over; excellent representation of the aforementioned. The first stanza does a great job of carrying on with the theme. The next stanza even better. Neil begins a difficult drum pattern, and the music gets more intense, and dies down perfectly so that Geddy can sing "all those precious wasted years."

But then the music loses all it's potential in the main chorus, causing it to claim a permanent spot in mediocre status.

And then that synth line comes back in, and Alex plays some beautiful harmonics, but for some reason, the rest of the song just seems bland because of the chorus. It brings down the whole song.

129.MAKING MEMORIES

3/10

This song was a probably a gem back in the day, but with everything Rush has done, I think this song just became an old memory. The boys probably forgot about it themselves.

It has a really nice acoustic guitar rhythm that doesn't change the whole song, and I nice slide solo by Big Al, but that is literally all the song has to offer. Lyrically, it's kind of poor by Rush's standards, but it has remained true. Maybe road life's not so bad.

The song sounds a lot like Zeppelin, but it also has a little bit of that classic Rush sound creeping in.

128.COUNTDOWN

3.25/10

I have mixed feelings about all the background noise. It kind of takes the spotlight, making the only memorable part of the song the smoking keyboard solo towards the end. That keyboard solo sounds incredibly outdated though; it sounds like something that would be playing in an educational 80's video about science. Which I guess kind of fits the song.

The music is mediocre. Alex is practically absent, nothing memorable happens on the drums, and the bass work is also forgettable. It's just the blistering keyboard solo that's awesome. This is not a bad song, but I think the music could be brought out more if the background noise was not so loud, or not so present.

Also, I can't really relate to the lyrics. I feel like they would've been cooler in the 80's. Technology high?

127.LAKESIDE PARK

3.25/10

This song is Making Memories, but more memorable. I understand this is a gem to many, but it's just a really soft and mellow 70's rocker. I think it makes CoS complete, and that it's a brilliant song...but Rush would soon develop their full sound. This still suffers from the "basic syndrome." Even though it's really not that basic.

The lyrics do a really nice job of painting a picture, but that's all they do. Alex's guitar work fits in with the best of the 70's rocker songs. His harmonics toward the end are also remarkable. Geddy's bass work is decent too, and Neil's drumming was quite complex for such a simple song. But there's not much more to this song other being mellow and remembering "Lakeside Park," whatever it may mean to you.

126.LESSONS

3.25/10

I confuse this one with Making Memories a lot. Especially the "sweet memories" lyric. Alex is really becoming Alex in songs like 2112, A Passage To Bangkok, and The Twilight Zone...but here he still sounds like Page.

The acoustic intro is too much like Making Memories, in my opinion, only better and more memorable. It's still just a 70's rocker...but it sounds a little more like Rush.

The bass line however, is killer.

This is a very sweet song, but it was probably sweeter when it first came out; a nice contrast to the overall darkness in the album. It's really just another 70's rocker from Rush, and definitely one of the best.

125.IN THE END

3.5/10

Some very melodic and harmonious acoustics for the intro make this song a gem; unfortunately, I think it has failed the test of time. It stayed in the 70's. However, I think this is Rush doing the 70's better than most others did the 70's. The chord changes in the intro are wonderful, and continue to carry on throughout the song.

Geddy's vocals are unique and fitting for the song, and they sound great in the intro. However, the song becomes heavy rather abruptly, and all the wonder in the beginning is tossed aside. I mentioned earlier that the chord progressions fit the whole song, and they do...they just don't sound as nice later on in the song. The rest of the music is rather average for Rush, and the lyrics are decent, a step above what Geddy wrote in the first album. Also, the song goes on a lot longer than I think it should...it could be cut down to five minutes or so; it'd probably have more impact that way.

Nonetheless, this is a masterful 70's gem...it's just not a masterful Rush gem.

124.HERE AGAIN

3.75/10

One of my favorite bluesy songs ever, with masterful blues playing by Alex. However, it has become an outdated track. Rutsey's drumming is notable here, as is Ged's bass work. But the highlight of course is the guitar solo.

Whenever I'm in the mood for blues...I go to this song.

I think if this song was redone, with the same atmosphere but more outstanding playing and an addition of fitting lyrics by Pratt, this could be ranked a lot higher. But that won't happen, and therefore this song is stuck along with all the other songs on the debut album.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Dec 17 2010, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Dec 17 2010, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Dec 17 2010, 08:54 AM)
There are several reasons why you should go no further with this;

-taking the idea and copying it so closely is just not right; an 'epic fail' in modern parlance
-once somebody has done it then it should be left, otherwise we'll have countless attempts at all 155
-you are a little on the young side to be making such judgemental statements on the music and especially the lyrics; having an opinion at any age is fine, but you should watch how you deliver it
-a lot is already plain wrong (e.g. the water/wine lyric above is neither tacky or funny - it makes perfect sense in the context of a song about advancing age)
-if you are not even going to spell correctly the names of rock legends.....

1) The other guy quit in the middle of it. He was updating every day but has now failed to update in weeks.

2) No one's doing it now

3) Oh please. The only people to ever say things like that are boring old people with little accomplished in their lives who want credit just for having existed this long. Not saying that's it in your case, of course biggrin.gif

4) Maybe true

5) Maybe true

With all that being said, I have a feeling anyone trying to do something of this calibre is going to encounter lots of "problems" laugh.gif laugh.gif .....

1) He's a teacher or something similar - he'll get back to it now the holidays are here

2) Thankfully

3) I'm 12 years old (maybe a little less mentally)

4) Maybe?

5) MAYBE? Jimmy Page is Jimmy Page not Jimmy Paige

I'm 6, I like apple juice and cookies, and sometimes if I'm good my mommy lets me stay up until 8 and listen to Resh

123.PEACEABLE KINGDOM

3.75/10

Lyrically, this is definitely in the top 30 Rush songs. Unfortunately, the music compromises the lyrics. The music fits rather well, but the horrible production is to blame. Alex's guitar is very sloppy and all over the place. Geddy's vocals are just horrible except for when he sings "while a billion other [insert word here]." The bass may sound cool at first, but it's really not that complex. Same thing with the drums. Well, it is complex, but not by Rush's standards tongue.gif

With a cleaner sound and more direct guitar playing, this song can make the top one hundred. But even with a better production, this song is simply forgettable. It's a decent Rush tune with remarkable lyrics, but nothing more.

122.RED LENSES

3.75/10

Hands down, the only great thing about this song...the drumming and jazzy bass lines towards the end. The drumming, I think, belongs in Neil's TOP TEN. It's simply insane. So many rhythms going on at once.

Unfortunately, the rest of the song is just forgettable. It can stick around in your head for a while, but when compared to the rest of P/G, it's just there. The guitar work is simple and tacky, as other the lyrics. The funky bass work is really nice, but it's also tacky. And even though the drumming is epic...it falls into the same category as the above.

On the plus side, the song is arranged in a very brilliant manner...I think it's just the fact that the song is inundated in too much tackiness.

121.BENEATH, BETWEEN, AND BEHIND

3.75/10

One of Rush's best Zeppelinesque songs. It rocks hard, has a quick guitar intro, and a catchy chorus that sounds absolutely wonderful on the "Exit Stage...Right" string tribute album. However, it doesn't sound as great in the original version. But it is still a profound chorus, especially for its time. Alex smokes basically the entire time, Neil does not disappoint as "the New Drummer" and Geddy's vocals and bass are absolutely stunning for the time.

The chorus also sounds like something Kansas would do, so I guess it's safe to say there's a little more prog in this song than in "Best I Can." I would rank this song higher, but it's just a nice 70's rocker with a tiny bit of prog thrown in there. Short but sweet tune. A bit wordy on the lyrics, but still very strong lyrics for Neil. Remember, he was just beginning to write lyrics.

120.TEARS

3.75/10

A rare Rush love song with a wonderful atmosphere. I think it's one of Rush's best atmospheres, and fits perfectly on the album. It creates a rather dreamy atmosphere that seems to fit the picture on the album cover. Geddy's vocals and lyrics are much better than what he wrote on the first album and Fly By Night.

When the drums enter on this song, it feels as if the song is about to pick up...but it doesn't really. Alex doesn't do much but repeat the notes. The bass plays fitting notes. The mellotron is cool, and responsible for the atmosphere I was talking about earlier. The rhythms are incredibly simple for Rush. But this song is just lacking something, and it's hard to tell what that thing is. I guess it just doesn't "rock" like the rest of the album? It's just a forgettable song on a forgettable b-side. A good b-side...but come on. Compared to the A-side?

Done with a little more than 1/5 of the list. I decided that 120-155 is the 1/5 of the list, and the other sections will be divided like this: 90-119 (4-5.75), 60-89 (6-7.5), 30-59 (7.75-8.5), 1-29 (8.75-10) Each section will contain more detail than the list. The Top Ten will also have more detail than all others.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Dec 29 2010, 07:25 PM)

122.RED LENSES
3.75/10
Hands down, the only great thing about this song...the drumming and jazzy bass lines towards the end. The drumming, I think, belongs in Neil's TOP TEN. It's simply insane. So many rhythms going on at once.

Unfortunately, the rest of the song is just forgettable. It can stick around in your head for a while, but when compared to the rest of P/G, it's just there. The guitar work is simple and tacky, as other the lyrics. The funky bass work is really nice, but it's also tacky. And even though the drumming is epic...it falls into the same category as the above.

On the plus side, the song is arranged in a very brilliant manner...I think it's just the fact that the song is inundated in too much tackiness.

FAIL! Everything about this song is great! Nothing "tacky" about it. Equally as brilliant as everything else on GUP. A top 50 tune for sure to me. And BB&B should be a lot higher too.

Getting into stronger songs here...HERE WE GO!

119.FINDING MY WAY

4/10

A very strong opener for any band in the 70's, I think. Geddy's vocals are electrifying and unique, and very memorable, as is the opening guitar riff. The bass kicks so much arse. The drums sit back perfectly and carry the song along the way drums should. This whole song, Alex is basically on fire. I repeat, this is a very strong opening track, appropriately titled and accessible by many rockers at the time.

But it still suffers from the problem that the entire album suffers from: the notorious Zeppelin wannabe status. Alex rips a Page solo that is truly on par with Page. The groove in the middle of the solo is also very Zeppelin-like, but it rocks. A very nice and enjoyable song, but a Rush song only in title.

Besides the aforementioned, the song doesn't offer much. But it certainly delivers, packing a powerful punch that can't be forgotten for those who were around in the day.

I must add that it works incredibly well in the R30 tour.

Jeez, are these reviews ever going to turn from negative to positive? confused13.gif

In my opinion, your order rankings are not bad but your reviews and song scores are very harsh. confused13.gif

Everything you've mentioned so far gets a below failing grade, less than 40%? Countdown, Finding My Way, Red Lenses, Lakeside Park, etc. are all F- songs? confused13.gif

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Dec 31 2010, 01:30 PM)
Jeez, are these reviews ever going to turn from negative to positive? confused13.gif

In my opinion, your order rankings are not bad but your reviews and song scores are very harsh. confused13.gif

Everything you've mentioned so far gets a below failing grade, less than 40%? Countdown, Finding My Way, Red Lenses, Lakeside Park, etc. are all F- songs? confused13.gif

No, I didn't intend for them to be failing grades.

I really only meant to rank them by Rush standards.

I didn't think I was being too negative unsure.gif

sorry sad.gif

Keep in mind though, we're still in the bottom 55. Reviews are becoming a little less negative and a little more positive.

118.MADRIGAL

4.25/10

At first, I thought the intro of the song felt out of place on the AFtK album. But over time, I've really grown to like this song. But even then, I realized that it's very outdated. It sounds a little 80's even though it was recorded in the late 70's tongue.gif Rush has always been ahead of their time. Anyways, I think this is nothing more than a short and sweet song with very average music for Rush. Lyrically, it's quite interesting; there weren't too many love songs by Rush, but this one is very well written.

I don't really know what to think of the synth though. Sometimes I find it really nice (for some reason, it reminds me of the movie "The Princess Bride"). But sometimes I find it shrill and annoying. I guess I have to be in the mood for this song.

Musically, as in the complexity, I think this is Rush's worst. But harmoniously, it can be nice, as long as you're in the mood for it.