Stealing Deckiller's Brilliant Idea

Good,bad,andrush

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

107.THE TWILIGHT ZONE

5/10

This song suffers from the same thing all other 5/10 songs suffer: they're either overshadowed by something bigger, or nothing really happens.

While this song is one of my personal favorites within these "average for Rush" songs, it's too stagnant. It's got a real Lifeson solo, but it's not GREAT. It's got a nice and catchy chorus, but it's not GREAT. The whisper is pretty intense though. And again, the actually playing of the instruments sounds nice...but it's not too difficult for Rush.

There's really not much I can say about this song...

106.GOOD NEWS FIRST

5/10

I like this song a lot, but that's just me. It's very similar to The Twilight Zone, I guess...especially in the sense that both songs have gone to the Twilight Zone of the Rush repertoire. It's a nice little song with a decent intro, spooky verses, and a haunting bridge.

That haunting bridge is the highlight of the song. But because everything just kind of falls flat...a lot of the song is just forgettable. Some people are turned off of this song because it's "decent," some because of the lyrics, some because it's just part of the Snakes And Arrows album. But really, this is not a bad song...it's above your average song...just not above your average Rush song.

That bridge is definitely worth listening to...it's the only thing that saves this song from being placed in the bottom 30. The fact that the spooky verses kind of build up to this bridge is very neat, and the strings in the background are great too. It's just unfortunate that this bridge kind of just flows by because of the rest of the lackluster song.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jan 13 2011, 01:09 PM)
106.GOOD NEWS FIRST
5/10
I like this song a lot, but that's just me. It's very similar to The Twilight Zone, I guess...especially in the sense that both songs have gone to the Twilight Zone of the Rush repertoire. It's a nice little song with a decent intro, spooky verses, and a haunting bridge.

That haunting bridge is the highlight of the song. But because everything just kind of falls flat...a lot of the song is just forgettable. Some people are turned off of this song because it's "decent," some because of the lyrics, some because it's just part of the Snakes And Arrows album. But really, this is not a bad song...it's above your average song...just not above your average Rush song.

That bridge is definitely worth listening to...it's the only thing that saves this song from being placed in the bottom 30. The fact that the spooky verses kind of build up to this bridge is very neat, and the strings in the background are great too. It's just unfortunate that this bridge kind of just flows by because of the rest of the lackluster song.

Good News First is the third best track on Snakes and Arrows.... unsure.gif

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Jan 11 2011, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jan 4 2011, 03:19 AM)
"ah yes to yes"

I like Between Sun & Moon but what does that mean? unsure.gif

In Pye Dubois's original poem that formed the basis of the lyrics, the line was "say yes to self-esteem". So I'm thinking "ah yes to yes" means something along the lines of saying yes to positivity, or being positive, in a true and real way, towards oneself.

Here's a clip of Dubois reading the poem - very interesting to hear where the lyrics got their start.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 14 2011, 05:35 AM)
QUOTE (Lamelight @ Jan 11 2011, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jan 4 2011, 03:19 AM)
"ah yes to yes"

I like Between Sun & Moon but what does that mean? unsure.gif

In Pye Dubois's original poem that formed the basis of the lyrics, the line was "say yes to self-esteem". So I'm thinking "ah yes to yes" means something along the lines of saying yes to positivity, or being positive, in a true and real way, towards oneself.

Here's a clip of Dubois reading the poem - very interesting to hear where the lyrics got their start.

Thanks for information! It has bothered me for so long tongue.gif

Apparently, Deckiller has returned...But I shall continue my list nonetheless.

I am sorry I have not posted in quite a while; this is because I was very busy and it was my birthday weekend, but here I go:

105.HALF THE WORLD

5.25/10

A fun and catchy song, but it falls flat on many departments. It's got catchy bass line, interesting guitar chords, and somewhat complex drumming, but they way the three are attached together just doesn't work as well as it has before. Unfortunately, the music doesn't quite fit the lyrics very well. And that's a bummer, because the reason why I rank this song higher than I should is because of the lyrics.

But again, this is just an interesting take on lyrics, not something I would say we could relate to. But this is a good-rocking song, with a nice little mandolin solo (at least I think it's mandolin) similar to the one in "Workin' them Angels." This song had potential, but I find it the first song to be written in an uninspired manner on the TfE album.

104.THE LARGER BOWL

5.25/10

I find this song very similar to Half The World and Anagram. Clever lyrically, but falling flat musically. Although in this song, the music matches the lyrics better, and the build-up works, although it doesn't go into much except a sweet Lerxst solo.

I honestly think however, that the lyrics for this song are a top ten...possibly even top five, in the rush catalog. It's just the music is so lackluster and dull, and lacking color or spark. It's repetitive, but at least it's building up into something. Although it's just a little something.

The way the lyrics are written (in the form of a pantoum) and the fact that they take on a new meaning each time just goes to show that Neil can be (and for the most part is) a genius with words, not just with drumming. I just wish the song fit a little better, or that it wouldn't have the heavy country/folk influence. It's not a bad thing, and I can't really say it's not a Rush thing...because Neil said himself "there's no such thing as that doesn't suit Rush." But let's just say Rush can do other genres better.

103.WHERE'S MY THING?

5.25/10

This is the weakest of the instrumentals when not counting Hope (since it's just Alex). That said, it kicks butt. It's just lacking the atmosphere found in the Leave That Thing Alone, Limbo, or The Main Monkey Business. The thin production doesn't help, and the fact that you can't hear Geddy just sucks! It sucks because Geddy is going crazy, and you just KNOW it'd sound awesome if you can hear him. Neil's drumming is fun and catchy, and at the same time intricate and quick. But Alex takes a backseat, throwing bits and pieces of rhythm guitar here and there.

The synthesized trumpets or whatever should've been replaced with a Lerxt solo, or should've led towards a Lerxt solo. And it doesn't really have to be a solo...I just wanted to see more from Alex. The part around 40 seconds where a plethora of keyboards enter is neat, and makes you feel like you're flying or whatever ( cool10.gif ) but it's a cheesy section, something that more than half the songs on RTB suffer from.

102.THE BODY ELECTRIC

5.5/10

This is a very interesting and experimental Rush song, and it fits very well with the theme of Grace Under Pressure, but it's feels somewhat trite compared to songs like Red Sector A and Between The Wheels. The synths add a cool touch to the feel of the song, kind of giving the computerized sound "feelings." I think this is something Geddy is very good at.

But for some reason, this song just doesn't do much. I don't think it'd be a very memorable song if it wasn't for the CLASSIC chorus. Simply one of the best choruses ever...but just somewhat dull music. While the synth is an interesting touch, and like I mentioned earlier, it doesn't give more meaning to the lyrics...but not to the song in general. Alex's solo could be longer or could cry out a little more to exemplify this...but it doesn't; instead, it's just uninspired and quick, as if he meant to get it out of the way.

I would rank this song lower, but you just can't resist singing, "1001001 SOS."

And for this reason, this song is ranked higher than it should be.

101.A PASSAGE TO BANGKOK

5.5/10

Again, this song has a classic hard-rocking riff. But I am no cool10.gif so this song probably doesn't mean as much to me as it should. I think the lyrics are cleverly disguised, so props for that. Alex rips a sweet solo while Neil backs him up with some sick (and simple for him at least) drumming. Really, this is just a 70's rock song, but definitely one of the best.

For this reason, I can't rank it any higher, but keep in mind that all of these songs are just miles above 95% of music out there. This song, with its classic riff, smoking solo, clever lyrics, and overall just "stay in your room and chill" feeling this song gives makes it great. Just not...Rush great.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 21 2011, 01:29 PM)
You're doing better than Deckiller lol

Ha, well I respect his list just as much, and his idea. Glad you're enjoying mine. Keep in mind though, it's just mine, and I know I'm going to spark some controversy here and there, but I'm trying to focus on just how much feeling the song has, how much it means, the atmosphere, and the way the lyrics fit the music, as well as the complexity and difficulty of the music, and ultimately how much the song can actually mean to one person rather than so many, but at the same time how the song can mean something to many people.

I think Deckiller's list is based around his favorites rather than my way of ranking. Of course, biases are falling into my list, but I don't think they're as present as they are in Deckiller's.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jan 21 2011, 01:32 PM)

Ha, well I respect his list just as much, and his idea. Glad you're enjoying mine. Keep in mind though, it's just mine, and I know I'm going to spark some controversy here and there, but I'm trying to focus on just how much feeling the song has, how much it means, the atmosphere, and the way the lyrics fit the music, as well as the complexity and difficulty of the music, and ultimately how much the song can actually mean to one person rather than so many, but at the same time how the song can mean something to many people.

I think Deckiller's list is based around his favorites rather than my way of ranking. Of course, biases are falling into my list, but I don't think they're as present as they are in Deckiller's.

For me, I sometimes find something to disagree with in your break down of a song, but when I look at the actual placement you've given for that song, I'm often right on the same page. There hasn't been anything crazy yet, nothing with more than +/- 5 error in my mind.

As long as you don't put Middletown Dreams within the next 50 spots, I'll stay on board laugh.gif

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 21 2011, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jan 21 2011, 01:32 PM)

For me, I sometimes find something to disagree with in your break down of a song, but when I look at the actual placement you've given for that song, I'm often right on the same page. There hasn't been anything crazy yet, nothing with more than +/- 5 error in my mind.

As long as you don't put Middletown Dreams within the next 50 spots, I'll stay on board laugh.gif

My friend, then it seems you'll be quite satisfied with my list wink.gif

The next entry (SPOT 100):

100.FREEZE

5.5/10

The first Fear entry. While I think it may be my favorite part of Fear (let it be known that this favorite part of Fear changes daily), it's just not as impactful as the other entries. The Weapon has more intense musicianship and a darker sound hidden within upbeat rhythms (how impressive), Witch Hunt has powerful and striking lyrics to a classic, creepy riff, and The Enemy Within has one of Geddy's best basslines and very clever lyrics that fit in perfectly.

This entry in the Fear series has distorted walls of sound, and lyrics that are lacking in the Fear department. Their great, of course...but not as great as the other three entries. Some people hate the chorus and the filler "doodeedahs" that Geddy throws in their, but I think they fit in nicely, and add to the emotion of the song, contrasting with the grungy and dark rhythms in the butt-kicking intro.

Honestly, this song just needs a more clear and powerful sound. It should be ranked a bit higher.

Out of the triple digits!

99.SPINDRIFT

5.5/10

The dark and eerie intro are pretty cool, and Alex's neat progressions convey a pretty dark mood, but Geddy's vocals contrast this, canceling the effect. On top of that, he's not doing much on the bass. Geddy could be doing more in this song. So could Neil, he's not really caring the song along. This song really belongs to Alex.

Lyrically, it's pretty unique for Neil, and I find it quite touching at times, but I have to be in the mood. I do like the way Geddy sings it, just not the intro. The "a little closer to you" is pretty much golden, but the rest is iffy.

But this song takes a lot of time to warm up to, and once you do, it doesn't have to much to offer. It's very repetitive, and in a way that doesn't build up. The fadeout had potential, but it didn't pull through.

Anyway, this is a mood song, and a great one at that.

98.CHEMISTRY

5.5/10

This song has a dynamic and powerful intro, followed by some monstrous shredding by Lerxt that just fits in with the word Chemistry. But then the odd and uninspired synth-line kicks in. Geddy's bass is cool, but he's done better in songs like these.

The lyrics for this song are fun, interesting, and sometimes just kick-ass for nerds smile.gif (That's me). But only certain parts of the music fit in with the lyrics...the other parts are too funky or jazzy, and it just seems weird. It's like Red Lenses in a way, but definitely better (minus the intense drumming and remarkable bass licks).

Alex has an awesome solo that does fit in with the "Chemistry" theme, but why Alex isn't doing more in this song...I don't know. I guess I ranked this song where it is because it has such a promising intro, and then falls a little flat. But hey, it's still an intense song.

97.FAITHLESS

5.5/10

The intro is dark, but due to the placement on the album, it seems unoriginal after having listened to other songs. But it still rocks, and on a side note...I must say this song kicks butt when you're running and it comes on on shuffle. It just makes me feel powerful. But that's beyond the point. While the song carries a somewhat depressing theme musically, the lyrics do a good job of matching AND contrasting. They're powerful (atheist or not, it's pretty heavy stuff), and moving, and they fit right in with the music.

The way Geddy sings is pretty great, and his bass notes support the song quite well, as does Neil's drumming. Alex's guitar work is dark and it's lacking a little, but it is more powerful than Spindrift. If it wasn't for his solo though, this song would be ranked a lot lower...his solo is almost like another verse of lyrics; it's isolated and powerful.

Well, besides these key points...the song is just lacking a little here and there. But do try listening to it while running, and you'll see this song in a better way.

Also, please don't disagree with the ranking if you're going to be complaining about the lyrics. Neil doesn't mean to offend you or anyone; he only wants to point out that he is still a loving person, and that he'd simply want to express his OPINION on something. That is all. They are cleverly written, and if you disagree, you disagree.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

Correction: "I agree with your list more than Deckiller's" :-P

I don't sacrifice ranking to avoid seeming unbiased. For instance, I definitely would rather listen to most of Power Windows before most of Vapor Trails, and my list reflects that.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jan 23 2011, 10:03 PM)

I don't sacrifice ranking to avoid seeming unbiased. For instance, I definitely would rather listen to most of Power Windows before most of Vapor Trails, and my list reflects that.

Correct correction: I find GBR's details behind his ranking more coherent than yours most of the time...

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 23 2011, 10:15 PM)

Correct correction: I find GBR's details behind his ranking more coherent than yours most of the time...

K.

Are you done attacking Deckiller or what?

QUOTE (Scars @ Jan 24 2011, 12:27 AM)

Are you done attacking Deckiller or what?

Guys guys other than Deckiller flaking out on his own project for two months both these lists are going great, and I enjoy reading both of them. That third list by that other guy though...