So . . . no Clockwork Angels CD then?

syrinxthrawn

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Nov 30 2010, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (tkdryan @ Nov 30 2010, 01:50 PM)
More time to turn CA into a masterpiece anyways.  im for it ,,,

they haven't gotten off to a good start. wacko.gif

not a fan of the new material hey?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time poster...long time lurker, hey everybody biggrin.gif

I think that with the new format that the boys tried with a couple of songs pre-released, lengthy tour that focused on MP, then a future album release was a pretty successful experiment. Very cool to see the band doing this in their twilight years.

Looking forward to a new album that adds to their legacy. Hope it happens early in 2011. They are hot right now and I don't see them cooling off before they retire. They will end on a high note shrieked by Geddy sometime soon.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Nov 30 2010, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 30 2010, 06:45 PM)
They're a touring band, as we all know.. That's how they got popular in the first place (well.. at least, that's how they got their first fans) and that's how they're continuing to get new fans from newer generations! Think how many people have said that going to a Rush concert pretty much MADE them a fan. That means those same fans will go out and buy songs (really, it's so much easier than trying to find free versions online).. So in the end I think it's all good.

Like I've said on other threads, I can wait. I can be patient. Maybe touring really IS the best thing for them. They obviously still immensely enjoy performing live -- why deny them?

I will have to completely agree with this. Before seeing the Time Machine concert this past October, Rush was just another band I liked that simply happened to have several songs I liked. OK, so I liked pretty much every song of theirs I heard on the radio. And I was aware they were an iNtuitive Thinker band.

But it was their concert that made me like them enough to join this forum and get me nearly obsessed with them. I had never had so much fun at a concert before.

If CA is their last album and after that they will simply keep touring, I will be content. I would like for CA to be finished- but I want to see Rush again live for sure.

Ditto for me - being a newer fan means I'm happy to take whatever comes my way. I'm looking forward to a few more shows this tour because I'll be a lot more in the loop by the time they roll around, and will get a lot more out of them. And I won't be in the back. And I want to meet other Rush fans.

Having said that, I do understand sitting out (parts of) tours...another band I followed hadn't changed their setlist much in three years, and that was part of why I sat last year out. Of course, they made a ton of changes as soon as I did. Gggrrr.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Dec 1 2010, 02:08 AM)
QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Nov 30 2010, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 30 2010, 06:45 PM)
They're a touring band, as we all know.. That's how they got popular in the first place (well.. at least, that's how they got their first fans) and that's how they're continuing to get new fans from newer generations! Think how many people have said that going to a Rush concert pretty much MADE them a fan. That means those same fans will go out and buy songs (really, it's so much easier than trying to find free versions online).. So in the end I think it's all good.

Like I've said on other threads, I can wait. I can be patient. Maybe touring really IS the best thing for them. They obviously still immensely enjoy performing live -- why deny them?

I will have to completely agree with this. Before seeing the Time Machine concert this past October, Rush was just another band I liked that simply happened to have several songs I liked. OK, so I liked pretty much every song of theirs I heard on the radio. And I was aware they were an iNtuitive Thinker band.

But it was their concert that made me like them enough to join this forum and get me nearly obsessed with them. I had never had so much fun at a concert before.

If CA is their last album and after that they will simply keep touring, I will be content. I would like for CA to be finished- but I want to see Rush again live for sure.

Ditto for me - being a newer fan means I'm happy to take whatever comes my way. I'm looking forward to a few more shows this tour because I'll be a lot more in the loop by the time they roll around, and will get a lot more out of them. And I won't be in the back. And I want to meet other Rush fans.

Having said that, I do understand sitting out (parts of) tours...another band I followed hadn't changed their setlist much in three years, and that was part of why I sat last year out. Of course, they made a ton of changes as soon as I did. Gggrrr.

what other band do u follow, yeah you will love 2.gif live

I saw them for the first time in September, it was incredible

The math is easy on this one ... The current tour will not be done until May or June. Then there will be a break for the band. Then they will finish Clockwork Angels ... so the album will likely be released around Xmas time in 2011. Then a springtime tour hitting all the outdoor amphitheaters in 2012. Is it just me or is the summer of 2012 the perfect time to bring back side one of 2112 in its entirety?

QUOTE (01GT Eibach @ Dec 1 2010, 11:01 AM)
The math is easy on this one ... The current tour will not be done until May or June. Then there will be a break for the band. Then they will finish Clockwork Angels ... so the album will likely be released around Xmas time in 2011. Then a springtime tour hitting all the outdoor amphitheaters in 2012. Is it just me or is the summer of 2012 the perfect time to bring back side one of 2112 in its entirety?

unless they decide that after the break they will do a small tour to warm up their chops again and than go straight into making the rest of the new album.

that would the super duper double dip tour.

You know, they have a bunch of songs done and they are not touring for quite some time. They did some of those albums in a few days back in the 70s so maybe they will finish this one after the new year? Who knows? Either way, I'm glad there is still Rush being Rush playing Rush songs. I know there will be a day when I can't say that. I also selfishly am happy that they are touring because I want a DVD/BluRay/Whatever of this show.

QUOTE (Mr Rush @ Dec 1 2010, 04:55 PM)
Sure there were bands before internet piracy that charged and arm and a leg but Rush was never one of them and now along with many many bands like them have no choice.

Sure they do... Instead of making 8 shashillion dollars for their fee, they could make a mere 5 shashillion dollars for the retirement coffers. More cash than we are ever making in our lives total.

Barbara Striesand and that skank Madonna are the greatest perpetrators of this kind of thing...

$100+ is still a lot of coin, even in 2010. Even justifying it for one of my favorite bands. And it is $150+ here where I live, for outside of the 15th row. I can tell you what to do with your $325 for the 'VIP' tickets... I am halfway to a nice TV that I can keep forever right there.

I attended three shows last leg, and ditched out of another two because of the cost. If they were not crossing back over Chicago again, I'd make zero this leg for the same set and am going to wait until the day of show for the first time to see if I go or not. I never thought I would say that! I used to make the shows within a 6 hour drive... It just is not worth it to pay anymore. And that is sad for a fan to ever have to say...

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 1 2010, 04:47 PM)
They did some of those albums in a few days back in the 70s so maybe they will finish this one after the new year?

Yeah, they have to record like a zillion different guitar tracks a day for a year to get near to finish, together all the "Wooooaaaaahhhhhhhssssss" and it takes like so forever to record the Kitchen sink and get that into the mix too these days.

QUOTE (Jean Simmons @ Dec 1 2010, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 1 2010, 04:47 PM)
They did some of those albums in a few days back in the 70s so maybe they will finish this one after the new year?

Yeah, they have to record like a zillion different guitar tracks a day for a year to get near to finish, together all the "Wooooaaaaahhhhhhhssssss" and it takes like so forever to record the Kitchen sink and get that into the mix too these days.

Solid point, but how much of that time is actually recording and how much of it is waiting and listening and discussing. If they are as serious as they said they were, it could be done...not saying it will be good. Then again, some of their extended times between albums yeilded some sub par stuff...imo

It's hard for me to believe that there is this much debate. I traveled to St. Louis to see them this year and then got the good news that they will be here in Nashville next April. I am excited to get the chance to see them again so soon and indoors this time.

As for ticket prices... Have you tried to buy many concert tickets lately? Rush is one of the most affordable shows out there. This is even more true when you consider the quality AND quantity that they deliver for the bucks.

I'm going to see U2 here in July and I had to mortgage the house and sell my first born for those seats.

Relax Rush fans, they are together, they tour, they record. We are blessed to be a part of it. One day they will only be a legend and we will have been there to tell our grandchildren. Be patient. 2.gif

Another summer of Time Machine Tour is not a bad thing - esp. because it means another summer of touring after that.

Re the band "cashing in" -- I don't think you can blame them. It's a long life, and you never know when the band's ability to tour will be taken from them -- could be suddenly, might not be for decades. It's very likely that the royalties for all artists are diminishing greatly in the digital era. There's the possibility of these guys having another 35 years of life to live off of savings -- substantial savings yes, but if you've lived a fairly well-to-do life since your 20s or 30s, how much do you need to stop working for the next 30 years? A lot. Rush hasn't been this hot in about 25 years - can't blame them for milking it for another summer.