Analog Chorus pedal

micgtr71

I figured that this would be a great place to find some suggestions for a good analog chorus. Currently, my board is pretty sparse and I am looking to add a chorus and a flanger. The only chorus pedals that I have played through are the Boss Super Chorus and the DOD chorus. I want to try out a few before I get one. Money is not a huge factor, though I am not keen on dropping more than 2 bills on one. Any suggestions?

I have heard great things about the TC. I was not sure if it was analog or digital (not that it would matter at that range) and whether the shifter and flanger aspects might be to confusing for me. I will check it out though-little out of my range. Thanks.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Nov 22 2010, 05:55 AM)
I have heard great things about the TC. I was not sure if it was analog or digital (not that it would matter at that range) and whether the shifter and flanger aspects might be to confusing for me. I will check it out though-little out of my range. Thanks.

Well, it might matter if it's digital. Why is it that you asked about analog in the first place? Maybe the same reason I would -- because to some people, digital chorus units can sound sterile and thin and fake. It's why the newer analog pedals with the old Bucket Brigade circuits are so coveted now -- because they give you that smooth and lush and thick chorus sound of the old Boss pedals.

Chorus pedals can sound very different from one another, and it's not really a matter of them sounding good or bad. All depends on the sound YOU'RE looking for.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 22 2010, 09:29 AM)

Well, it might matter if it's digital. Why is it that you asked about analog in the first place? Maybe the same reason I would -- because to some people, digital chorus units can sound sterile and thin and fake. It's why the newer analog pedals with the old Bucket Brigade circuits are so coveted now -- because they give you that smooth and lush and thick chorus sound of the old Boss pedals.

Chorus pedals can sound very different from one another, and it's not really a matter of them sounding good or bad. All depends on the sound YOU'RE looking for.

The reason is the same as yours. The bucket brigade circuit is much warmer. My delay is analog and the dd3 that I tried was no where near as warm. I did not like the bite of the super chorus (though I admit i am not sure if the boss pedal is analog or digital). I figured that my best bet was to go analog...the reason I stated that it might not matter was with regard to TC Electronics and the reviews that I have read-maybe they got it right. I was willing to try. The CE2 would be great, though I would rather buy a clone than try to find one of the old ones.

QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 22 2010, 08:44 AM)
If you can wait until its ready, Fulltone has an analog Chorus/Flanger/Vibrato pedal coming out for $250.

Fulltone CFV-2

I have a Fulltone Mini Dejavibe, and it is truly amazing. It is well worth the wait and the $$$.

Thanks for the info on Fulltone. I had no idea they were making this. I will have to try this as I love the ocd and have serious gas for a gt500

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Nov 22 2010, 03:10 PM)

The reason is the same as yours. The bucket brigade circuit is much warmer. My delay is analog and the dd3 that I tried was no where near as warm. I did not like the bite of the super chorus (though I admit i am not sure if the boss pedal is analog or digital). I figured that my best bet was to go analog...the reason I stated that it might not matter was with regard to TC Electronics and the reviews that I have read-maybe they got it right. I was willing to try. The CE2 would be great, though I would rather buy a clone than try to find one of the old ones.

I bought a Boss Super Chorus recently and didn't like it either. Returned it. I bought a CE-5 "Chorus Ensemble" instead and I like that sound much more. And it was only about $89-99 bucks I believe.

One thing about chorus pedals -- you can look at all the online reviews and YouTube clips you want, and you can get a pretty good idea of what they sound like from those, but these pedals really need to be tried in person.

The bucket brigade circuit provides that lush chorus we all like, but the side effect is that they can rob you of some tone, mainly some top end and clarity. I have a Jacques Meistersinger pedal which is based on the old Boss/Roland circuit, and even uses the same chips. The chorus effect is gorgeous, but it takes a little of that spank and sparkle and clarity away when playing clean. It's tough to find an analog pedal that DOESN'T do that.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 22 2010, 12:34 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 22 2010, 12:23 AM)
You get what you pay for....

T.C. Electronics
http://www.tcelectronic.com/SCF.asp

Yes, but he's looking for an analog chorus. Isn't the TC a digital pedal?

Analog is a state of mind, man!

tongue.gif

btw - I use digital analog simulator plug-ins for chorus lol. But, if you want a good analog flanger, I highly recommend the vintage ADA Flangers.

Edited by Cowtothesky

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Nov 22 2010, 04:43 PM)

I bought a Boss Super Chorus recently and didn't like it either. Returned it. I bought a CE-5 "Chorus Ensemble" instead and I like that sound much more. And it was only about $89-99 bucks I believe.

I will have to check that out. I did not realize that Boss was still making a CE pedal. Do you know if this is digital or analog? Does it sound a bit more organic than the Super Chorus? Thanks in advance.

I have had the same types of concerns regarding the analog pedals, but they do seem to be warmer and they trumps the loss of tone, which for me is negligible because I use very few pedals in my signal chain. Thanks for mentioning the Jacques pedal. I often forget about them but hear goon things. They have one down the street and I am going to try it this Wednesday. Thanks for the responses, I know what to look for and what to be wary of.

-Mike

T.C. Electronics

Good enough for Allan Holdsworth.......good enough for micgtr71.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 23 2010, 01:10 AM)

T.C. Electronics

I'm a huge Holdsworth fan, and on my best day I have about one millionth of the talent that he does. But I'm still not buying a digital chorus pedal just because he uses one. biggrin.gif

Though I have to admit, this pedal intrigues me. It combines an analog circuit with digital electronics.

http://www.dlseffects.com/ultra_chorus_ii.php

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 23 2010, 01:10 AM)

T.C. Electronics

It's great to see my name next to Holdsworth's though I don't think I am worthy to hold his guitar strap. I will check this out tomorrow. I am driving to the bigger guitar store to see what they have. I am also into that Red Witch pedal though I am not sure I can scrape the dough together. The Ibanez, Jacques, Boss CE5, MXR, and the Maxon are on my radar as well. Not sure if I will come home with one tomorrow, but I will definitely zero in on the ones that I like the best. Thanks for all the suggestions, I will let you know what happens.

Ok, so I went to a few places and tried out a bunch of chorus pedals. Unfortunately there were three that I really wanted to try but could not find (jacques, tc electronics, red witch). I tried the MXR which i liked (four knob version), the Boss CE5-good pedal, the digitech which I did not care for, the Maxon and the Ibanez versions of what looked (and to me sounded) like the same pedal, and a used Analogman which was my favorite of the bunch.

Also, thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. They really helped me to know what I was looking for. I am going to search out and try those others. I really would like to keep it under 2 bills (the further the better). I will post what I go with.

The Retro-Sonic clone of the original boss CE-1 is one of the better analog pedals out there. It sounds just the the CE-1 but does not have the same issues the original has. It's out of your price range I know but I thought it was worth mentioning in this very informative thread.

QUOTE (hunter @ Nov 23 2010, 10:26 AM)
My favorite

Run it to two separate amps. Such a huge sound. Not sure where to get one now.

THIS is really the secret to combating the high end roll off that 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 was talking about. One amp wet, one amp dry solves this problem IMO because the dry amp retains the high end sparkle and the wet amp gives you that warm lush-ness. The two blended together is just amazing to play on. I personally run the dry amp a little hotter than the wet amp regardless of playing clean or dirty.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 28 2010, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Nov 23 2010, 10:26 AM)
My favorite

Run it to two separate amps. Such a huge sound. Not sure where to get one now.

THIS is really the secret to combating the high end roll off that 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 was talking about. One amp wet, one amp dry solves this problem IMO because the dry amp retains the high end sparkle and the wet amp gives you that warm lush-ness. The two blended together is just amazing to play on. I personally run the dry amp a little hotter than the wet amp regardless of playing clean or dirty.

I will have to try this. I have to admit that I have never run anything in stereo before. Thanks, that chorus sounds great on the vid, though it is a bit out of my range.

Get a CE-2 on eBay. Even the cheaper Taiwanese ones sound good. I own a mid 80's CE-2 and a newer CH-1 Super chorus. I like them both, but they are very different. I run the CE-2 through one amp and another amp dry. Nails the Permanent Waves sound.