Analog Chorus pedal

micgtr71

I will look for one. Currently, the only CE2s that I could find were over 300 bucks. Kind of a lot for a boss pedal imo-I will check ebay though, thanks. I am still holding out until I can try a Jacques. The stuff I have read/heard makes me want to try it. Thanks for the info.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Nov 30 2010, 04:03 PM)
I will look for one. Currently, the only CE2s that I could find were over 300 bucks. Kind of a lot for a boss pedal imo-I will check ebay though, thanks. I am still holding out until I can try a Jacques. The stuff I have read/heard makes me want to try it. Thanks for the info.

I love the chorus effect my Jacques pedal gives. Think classic Boss chorus without the noise, and with a mix knob that lets you blend in how much of the chorus effects is mixed in with your dry signal. This pedal sounds lush as hell, and it handles distortion really well.

But for me, I feel it muddies up my cleans a bit, which as I said earlier is common for analog chorus pedals. If that's something you can live with, then I highly recommend the Jacques.

I really want to try the Red Witch. From the clips I've heard, it gives that classic lush analog chorus sound but retains that sparkle with clean tones. There's a store about 40 minutes from me that carries them, and I plan on A/B-ing it (and maybe a few others) with my Jacques. It's worth noting that the Red Witch is twice the price of the Jacques.

That's the only thing keeping me from actively searching out the Red Witch. The Jacques is well into my price range and from what you say, it might be the one for me. I play a LP with an ebony board into a fender deluxe reverb 65 reissue. The pickups run hot so muddying up my sound might be an issue. I will have to find a place that sells them.

Well, I went to many stores and tried a number of chorus pedals both digital and analog. The best one that I tried was the analogman, but it was truly out of my range. I do not play out enough to justify the cash. The boss ce5 was nice, but not as warm as I would have liked. The Jacques, which was the hardest to find was great. The TC Electronic pedal was fantastic, but the flange aspect was too much for me. I like to set the pedal and use it and if I want a flanger, I would get another pedal. Still, I loved it though no one could give me a clear answer as to whether it was analog or digital...the guys at the store started fighting, quite funny. I worked my way around until I tried a Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus that I placed behind my Fulltone Plimsoul. This was the one. I got it for 85 bucks plus tax and am very happy. Thank you everyone for your input. You were all incredibly helpful.

Glad you found a good one. The Analogman is one I'd like to try, but have yet to find one.

I did try the Red Witch, though. Didn't like it much. Even though it's an analog pedal, it sounded too digital, in that the modulation sweep was very pronounced and noticeable as you were playing, as opposed to the "random" lushness that the Jacques and Boss pedals have. And the controls were weird -- they seemed to work against each other, and it was a little frustrating finding just the right setting.

And you're right about the TC pedal. That flanging effect is not what I'm looking for in a chorus pedal. The Diamond Halo and the Effectrode Vibra Chorus pedals have the same problem.

I'm trying the GNI ASDC next.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Boys,

I use the digital chorus in my Rocktron processors primarily. But when I need that awesome chorusy detune I layer in a Digitech Whammy. I know it sounds odd - but the Digitech Whammy's mild detuner sounds wicked for live performances and gives you that extra something to add body to even the weakest tone.

You never know it might be what you are looking for:

http://www.digitech.com/products/Pedals/Whammy.php

RCD

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Jan 14 2011, 11:09 AM)
Boys,

I use the digital chorus in my Rocktron processors primarily. But when I need that awesome chorusy detune I layer in a Digitech Whammy. I know it sounds odd - but the Digitech Whammy's mild detuner sounds wicked for live performances and gives you that extra something to add body to even the weakest tone.

RCD

I have an old Digitech harmonizer (Harmony Machine HM4) that has some detune settings, and it's pretty useful for light chorus effects. But when you set them heavy they start sounding harsh and phony.

I have the newer version of that unit in my rack now (the DHP-33) but I've never played with the detune settings. It has actual chorus presets but I wasn't happy with them.

This is interesting. I have never tried the Digitech Whammy, though I have found them to be incredibly interesting.

@1-0-0-1-0-0-1: Thanks for the info on the Red Witch. I have not been able to find one and thought that I might be missing out if it were to be the Holy Grail. From what you say, it may not be for me. If you can find one, try the Analogman. At the price I could never justify it, but if I win the lottery it will be one of my first purchases.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 14 2011, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Jan 14 2011, 11:09 AM)
Boys,

RCD

I have an old Digitech harmonizer (Harmony Machine HM4) that has some detune settings, and it's pretty useful for light chorus effects. But when you set them heavy they start sounding harsh and phony.

I have the newer version of that unit in my rack now (the DHP-33) but I've never played with the detune settings. It has actual chorus presets but I wasn't happy with them.

I agree completely about the "deep" detuner. It's just all over the place and sounds harsh and jacked up. But the "shallow" setting adds the coloring I needed to get that Hemispheres circa 1978 live tone Alex used to use (while playing Hemispheres). It sounds 10 miles wide through a 10K watt PA system.

Another awesome use I found for the Whammy is in The Necromancer:

During the second voiceover right before Uner The Shadow the bed is tough to reproduce live. The way I have found to reproduce this is set the Whammy to harmonize up a 6th, trill between E and F# (second octave), use the pedal to gradually change the pitch up and down and for added pitch shifting use the tride and true "grab your G string above the nut with your right hand and bend the shit out of it" method for added awesome.

In short - the Whammy is a pretty powerful tool to have in your arsenal but takes your imagination to make your ideas come to life. For $199.00 these days I think you really can't go wrong.