The Office

Ted Barchetta

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 1 2011, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (doublereeder @ Apr 28 2011, 09:23 PM)
I thought I would be teary-eyed the whole time, but I only got choked up once or twice. It was light-hearted, and very graceful.

I, being a HUGE fan of Will Ferrell, do not like him as the "new boss". He's gone after next week anyways, so I'll be glad when he's gone. His character is all over the place, and I feel he's there just to be a filler guest. I wish his character was more fine tuned, and that's not his fault, because he plays the character well, I just don't care for the character at all.

Will Ferrell does well with a goofy character that's all over the place. That's probably why they wrote it that way.

I didn't think Setve's last episode was anything special. Just plain and ordinary like the rest of this season has been.

that's what she said

biggrin.gif I did love him mouth that after he took off the mic. Nice way to "say goodbye"

It looks like from the preview that they're bringing in a bunch of guest stars to play canidates for the office manager position. Of all of them I think Will Arnett would fit in best with the show and it's cast.

Jim Carey would work to but he's too big for that role.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 24 2011, 06:42 PM)
I must've missed something somewhere. Why wouldn't they give Jim the manager position? He didn't even interview for it confused13.gif

first of all, no one ever said he was getting it, but it seems the most likely for several reasons.

1- now that michael is gone, the "main character" of the show is him (or maybe dwight, but i really doubt they'd give dwight the job), so it makes sense for him to step up into michael's shoes and become the manager and main focus of the show. Right now, although the recent episodes have been very good, and among the better episodes this season, it still has a noticeable lack of focus, and I fear that if they don't assign a true lead soon, it will go the same direction as many other shows that try to spread the lead role after a main character leaves (think Scrubs, That 70s Show, etc). They wouldn't give that spot to anyone else. The only other possibility is Andy because Ed Helms is probably the biggest name actor on the show right now, and he's been showing improvement and dedication recently.

2- Jim is the most qualified for the job. Most of the outside hires seemed goofy (as much as I'd love to have Will Arnett on the show, do you really think any self-respecting office would hire that character as their manager?) or just plain weird (Catherine Tate's character was a total failure). So that leaves the inside contenders. We already know they didn't consider Kelly a "serious" contender, Darryl lacks the necessary book-smarts, and Dwight already blew his chance. So that leaves Andy and Jim. Jim has been there longer, Jim has a cleaner personal record with the company, Jim has a better sales record, Jim has managerial experience, and aside from Jo taking away his co-manager title, Jim's career movement has been steadily upward throughout the show.

3- As the office struggles desperately to find a new manager, Jim has slowly but surely assumed full control over it. He's the most level-headed person on the search committee, he's the only one who talked one-on-one with Jo about it, and he's the one who, at the end of the episode, took charge of the office and called a meeting in the conference room to sort it all out.

4- John Krasinski has a big name, but it's still small enough that he can dedicate himself to the lead role of a TV show full-time. Someone from the outside like Jim Carrey simply wouldn't have the time in their schedule (and would be wildly expensive), and someone like Rainn Wilson or Jenna Fischer doesn't exactly have the same presence in the acting world at large. This does, of course, still leave Ed Helms and Craig Robinson as possibilities, but as i've said before, there are logical reasons why i think they won't choose Andy or Darryl's characters.

Rainn Wilson said in an interview that we'd know who the new manager is after the episode. Now, he could have been leading us on, but it's more likely that he and the rest of the crew simply assumed that it was obvious that Jim would take over.

Edited by fledgehog

Dwight Shrute is the perfect manager to me. It keeps the show edgy and weird...and everyone is constantly having to respond to his idiosyncracies. You need a bit of an odd-ball. No straight man I don't think. The one where Dwight assumed the duty was the only truly FUNNY episode so far post-Michael, from the Uday Hussein knock-off-desk to all his ridiculous rules. There's almost no end to where they could go with this because there really are no outlandish boundaries with Shrute. Just when you think he can't get odder....

That episode felt RIGHT.

I think if it's an outside person brought in, I saw real promise with James Spader. I found that dynamic to have real potential.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 25 2011, 08:04 PM)
Dwight Shrute is the perfect manager to me. It keeps the show edgy and weird...and everyone is constantly having to respond to his idiosyncracies. You need a bit of an odd-ball. No straight man I don't think. The one where Dwight assumed the duty was the only truly FUNNY episode so far post-Michael, from the Uday Hussein knock-off-desk to all his ridiculous rules. There's almost no end to where they could go with this because there really are no outlandish boundaries with Shrute. Just when you think he can't get odder....

That episode felt RIGHT.

I think if it's an outside person brought in, I saw real promise with James Spader. I found that dynamic to have real potential.

Dictator Dwight can only be taken so far. Perhaps he should have gotten more than one episode, maybe 3 or 4 (like Charles during the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline in season 5), but as a full time boss? that would get old pretty fast. The people who work in the office are still human, no doubt they would complain to corporate when Dwight inevitably takes it overboard. Plus we've already seen that everyone on the search committee (save for Kelly, who's been bribed) and Jo herself have pretty serious reservations about giving Dwight any power.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 26 2011, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 25 2011, 08:04 PM)
Dwight Shrute is the perfect manager to me.  It keeps the show edgy and weird...and everyone is constantly having to respond to his idiosyncracies.  You need a bit of an odd-ball.  No straight man I don't think.  The one where Dwight assumed the duty was the only truly FUNNY episode so far post-Michael, from the Uday Hussein knock-off-desk to all his ridiculous rules.  There's almost no end to where they could go with this because there really are no outlandish boundaries with Shrute.  Just when you think he can't get odder.... 

That episode felt RIGHT. 

I think if it's an outside person brought in, I saw real promise with James Spader.  I found that dynamic to have real potential.

Dictator Dwight can only be taken so far. Perhaps he should have gotten more than one episode, maybe 3 or 4 (like Charles during the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline in season 5), but as a full time boss? that would get old pretty fast. The people who work in the office are still human, no doubt they would complain to corporate when Dwight inevitably takes it overboard. Plus we've already seen that everyone on the search committee (save for Kelly, who's been bribed) and Jo herself have pretty serious reservations about giving Dwight any power.

I'm not trying to rationalize or analyze it too heavily outside who simply makes the most compelling replacement. biggrin.gif wink.gif

To me Jim is the only guy who can be the manager now. There's no other choice at this point. Especially if they want people to tune in after losing their main character and having two sub par seasons.

Andy is not a strong enough character to do it. Dwight has taken over the office as a manager or acting manager a few times during the shows run and it always ends in disaster.

Dwight has blown the opportunities he's had so it makes no sense for him to get it. We can still have him bring all the craziness without him having to be manager. Part of what makes Dwight so entertaining is that he's under the delusion that he actually has authority over the other workers when he doesn't at all.

Watching through season one, interesting to see how all the characters change.. A lot of them didn't have personality's yet and were just fill-ins. Watch through the first season yourself and you'll see. wink.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 1 2011, 01:44 PM)
Watching through season one, interesting to see how all the characters change.. A lot of them didn't have personality's yet and were just fill-ins. Watch through the first season yourself and you'll see. wink.gif

Yeah they deffinitely developed everyone of the supporting charactes quite well over the years. Michael, Jim, Pam and Dwight are always who the show revolves around but getting everyone else involved and allowing them to bring the laughs and shine a bit makes the show a bit more special.

The Office is by no means the first or last show for that matter, where random backround and support characters developed into something more significant as the show went on. But it's always a good thing when a show and it's writers can make the show better by giving everyone something to do.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 29 2011, 02:30 PM)
I used to have this friend who had the Office streaming on his computer 24/7. No matter what, he always had it playing.

I like The Office, but it's not as good as it once was. Also I can't stand Erin.

And Holly! Damn she was annoying.

Yeah, Erin is annoying. They make her too stupid. Like when she was playing scrabble and they told her she should have played "mood" and she said.. "Oh... like the cow moo'd yesterday" eh.gif

I do like the older episodes better, but of the newer ones, the koi pond episode was funny, and I really like the one when Andy loses it and has to go to anger management. And like I said a few posts ago - the one with Dwight as manager was better than most the last couple seasons.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 29 2011, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 29 2011, 02:30 PM)
I used to have this friend who had the Office streaming on his computer 24/7. No matter what, he always had it playing.

I like The Office, but it's not as good as it once was. Also I can't stand Erin.

And Holly! Damn she was annoying.

Yeah, Erin is annoying. They make her too stupid. Like when she was playing scrabble and they told her she should have played "mood" and she said.. "Oh... like the cow moo'd yesterday" eh.gif

I do like the older episodes better, but of the newer ones, the koi pond episode was funny, and I really like the one when Andy loses it and has to go to anger management. And like I said a few posts ago - the one with Dwight as manager was better than most the last couple seasons.

Yeah, I don't know why they made her like that. She almost seems like she has mental problems (I actually thought they were going to reveal that she was mentally disabled or something when I first saw her acting so strange. Like that part when she has a fit in the restaurant!).

The new episodes aren't utter crap or anything, but I'd definitely choose to watch the older ones over them any day. And the episode with Dwight as manager was great laugh.gif

I love the office. like you guys said, seasons 3 and 4 were probably the best overall, but i thought 5 was really good too.

and i agree with the part about Erin, she's almost too stupid but its still funny. it's almost a little unbearable how well her and andy would get along but they're both so awkward towards each other, it's hilarious. question; if Erin was blond, would you think differently of her character? better or worse?

QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Jul 29 2011, 01:13 PM)
I love the office. like you guys said, seasons 3 and 4 were probably the best overall, but i thought 5 was really good too.

and i agree with the part about Erin, she's almost too stupid but its still funny. it's almost a little unbearable how well her and andy would get along but they're both so awkward towards each other, it's hilarious. question; if Erin was blond, would you think differently of her character? better or worse?

I don't think that would change how I look at her. I just feel like the chemistry between her and Andy is so boring. They're too similar when it comes to being dumb and awkward. With Angela, there was conflict and it was more interesting, IMO.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 29 2011, 01:18 PM)

I don't think that would change how I look at her. I just feel like the chemistry between her and Andy is so boring. They're too similar when it comes to being dumb and awkward. With Angela, there was conflict and it was more interesting, IMO.

i think both Angela/Andy and Erin/Andy relationships were both equally cringe-worthy. but yes, Angela/Andy was more entertaining, especially with the dwight thing. HA! that episode with the "duel" was awesome!

QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Jul 29 2011, 03:38 PM)

i think both Angela/Andy and Erin/Andy relationships were both equally cringe-worthy. but yes, Angela/Andy was more entertaining, especially with the dwight thing. HA! that episode with the "duel" was awesome!

The Dwight/Angela "relationship" before all the contractual nit-wittery was great. They were both sooo uptight I thought it was really funny. Angela used to always crack me up before she became the crazy-cat-lady.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 29 2011, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Jul 29 2011, 03:38 PM)

The Dwight/Angela "relationship" before all the contractual nit-wittery was great. They were both sooo uptight I thought it was really funny. Angela used to always crack me up before she became the crazy-cat-lady.

Man I forgot about the contract thing. That was a little too weird for me.

Yeah, Erin does come off as pretty dumb but she is cute so I can look past it a bit. The fact that she seemed to look to Michael Scott as some kind of father figure shows she's not all there. I guess it makes sense since Michael is an idiot most of the time.

I do think they've missed to boat with Erin's character though. You can see the potential in her character to be able to bring in some good laughs but the writers don't seem to want to tap into it more.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 31 2011, 06:38 PM)
Yeah, Erin does come off as pretty dumb but she is cute so I can look past it a bit. The fact that she seemed to look to Michael Scott as some kind of father figure shows she's not all there. I guess it makes sense since Michael is an idiot most of the time.

I do think they've missed to boat with Erin's character though. You can see the potential in her character to be able to bring in some good laughs but the writers don't seem to want to tap into it more.

I just want them to get rid of her. The 'funny' things she does are just cringe-worthy to me. I mean most of the time it's her embarrassing herself by being so stupid.

Also I've kinda been out of the loop, who's replacing Michael again?

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 1 2011, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 31 2011, 06:38 PM)

I just want them to get rid of her. The 'funny' things she does are just cringe-worthy to me. I mean most of the time it's her embarrassing herself by being so stupid.

Also I've kinda been out of the loop, who's replacing Michael again?

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=67201

James Spader