Steve Vai and Dynamic Intonation

Mr. Krinkle

The guitar has been around for thousands of years with straight frets. No, intonation isn't always perfect, but maybe it doesn't have to be. Just like with vocals and the auto-tuner, will giving the guitar perfect intonation with these new frets make it sound TOO perfect, and take all the tension out of guitar music?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 31 2010, 10:56 AM)
The guitar has been around for thousands of years with straight frets. No, intonation isn't always perfect, but maybe it doesn't have to be. Just like with vocals and the auto-tuner, will giving the guitar perfect intonation with these new frets make it sound TOO perfect, and take all the tension out of guitar music?

I'll hold judgement until I hear Steve Vai playing it on record.

Well, bass notes are less of a problem because of the nature of a bass waveform and because triads (three note chords) are rarely played on a bass.

This is an interesting idea that has been played with by other luthiers looking for perfect tempering. I have seen guitars with angled frets with the angles changing direction along the fretboard. My only question is what about changing string gauges? The overtones are going to be affected by the thickness of the string as well. Ultimately a fine tuning saddle adjustment will be made, but the relationship of the distances between the altered "squiggley" frets will change once a different string gauge replaces any given string. I doubt that a Heavy gauge set will be as in tune as an Ultra Light gauge, or vice versa. Much less a "mixed" set such as Ernie Ball Skinny Top-Heavy Bottom set which has thicker bottom 3 strings than a standard medium light set.

The guitar will always be an imperfect instrument. I mean, pianos have to be temper tuned and those string lengths are fixed. So many variables involved. Perfection is an impossibility.

Ha, I didn't even read this until after I posted above:

Do I need to use a particular string gauge?
Our concert pitch electric guitar necks are optimised for standard plain 3rd roundwound string sets from 0.009" - 0.046" & 0.010" - 0.046", to 0,011" - 0,050". We have found that normal intonation at the octave is enough to handle this range of gauges.

Our LOW TUNE model is optimised for 0.014" - 0.018" - 0.024" plain - 0.036" - 0.052" - 0.060" roundwound strings.

Using a wound 3rd is not an option if you have a True Temperament neck designed for a plain 3rd string.

Our steel-string acoustic fingerboard (650mm scale) is optimised for standard 0.012" - 0.054" bronzewound strings with a wound 3rd.

We also have a version for 641mm scale steel-string guitar with a plain (0.018") G (as used by Steve Vai on his Ibanez Euphoria EP9 signature model).

Our nylon-string acoustic fingerboard (650 mm scale) is optimised for Savarez Corum Alliance strings (blue packet).

Our bass necks (34" scale) are optimised for standard roundwound 0.045" - 0.105" strings.

Can I tune down a half-step?
You can tune down and/or change string gauges within sensible limits. A half step down works fine. The limitation on how low you can go before the intonation craps out is most often the (plain) 3rd string - anything thicker than a 0.018" usually sounds horribly "plonky" at, or close to, concert pitch, but thinner ones can become too floppy (and difficult to intonate) when tuned down - and again, using a wound 3rd is not an option if you have a True Temperament neck designed for a plain 3rd string.

We now offer a LOW TUNE, standard (25-1/2") scale version for fourth down tuning (B - E - A - D - F# - B ). Please see Guitar & Bass Necks for details.
Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2