Pot Use at Shows

I don't care if you people think I'm selfish, I don't even know any of you and none of you are Geddy, Alex, or Neil so I'm not out to impress...just to be myself. If you don't like it, tough luck. Yes, I am selfish but so is everyone else with an opinion they believe to be the right one. Look at it that way.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Oct 6 2010, 12:59 PM)
I don't care if you people think I'm selfish, I don't even know any of you and none of you are Geddy, Alex, or Neil so I'm not out to impress...just to be myself. If you don't like it, tough luck. Yes, I am selfish but so is everyone else with an opinion they believe to be the right one. Look at it that way.

Your selfishness negatively affects the health and well-being of the people around you. Fact.

Their selfishness impacts your health and well-being not at all. In fact, the only result, the ONLY result of their selfishness is that you have to sit through a rock concert sober. OH THE FKING HORROR!!!

But hey, you get points for at least admitting you're a selfish ass about this. Most people don't get that far.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Oct 6 2010, 11:59 AM)

Everyone with an opinion is selfish, so it's totally cool for you to smoke pot at shows and take away the choice of everyone around you who might not want to be around it or have it around their kids? Wow, great argument. Stunning rationalization.

People you don't know and who aren't members of Rush might also deserve a little respect and consideration. Just think about it.

I don't smoke at all, but why aren't people complaining about all the cigarette smokers at shows? It's way more prevalent and you can smell it pretty much everywhere; whereas pot smoke is here and there.

If it's really just the smell, I don't get it.

Edited by Digital Man

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 6 2010, 04:27 PM)
I don't smoke at all, but why aren't people complaining about all the cigarette smokers at shows? It's way more prevalent and you can smell it pretty much everywhere; whereas pot smoke is here and there.

This thread isn't about the smell. It's about people on both sides of the issue taking an opportunity to put other people down for their choices.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 6 2010, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Oct 6 2010, 05:21 PM)
what about cigar smokers at the shows? we could use a few more up in the lawn yes.gif

cigars make me want to 062802puke_prv.gif

yes.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 6 2010, 01:30 PM)
It's just easier to type "pot smokers" instead of "pot and cigarette smokers". It's the same situation.

Maybe for you. I can't stand either of them for different reasons, although some reasons apply to both. While cigarette smoke smells terrible and gives me an almost instant sore throat and congestion, I simply don't want to breathe in pot smoke because I choose not to do drugs. I was at enough parties in my youth to know that contact highs do exist, and even if it's not enough to really have it affect me, I simply don't want to be breathing it in. It's just a personal choice. I'm fine with other people doing it on their own, but it just sucks when they insist on doing it in public and make the choice for me. My only choice often is to leave. That's my choice, and I accept that. I also wish some people were a little more respectful and considerate. I'm far from the only person who doesn't want to be around smoking.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Oct 6 2010, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 6 2010, 04:27 PM)
I don't smoke at all, but why aren't people complaining about all the cigarette smokers at shows?  It's way more prevalent and you can smell it pretty much everywhere; whereas pot smoke is here and there.

This thread isn't about the smell. It's about people on both sides of the issue taking an opportunity to put other people down for their choices.

I really have no intention of putting people down for their choices. I'm just asking for people to be respectful of others publicly.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 6 2010, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 6 2010, 01:30 PM)
It's just easier to type "pot smokers" instead of "pot and cigarette smokers". It's the same situation.

Maybe for you. I can't stand either of them for different reasons, although some reasons apply to both. While cigarette smoke smells terrible and gives me an almost instant sore throat and congestion, I simply don't want to breathe in pot smoke because I choose not to do drugs. I was at enough parties in my youth to know that contact highs do exist, and even if it's not enough to really have it affect me, I simply don't want to be breathing it in. It's just a personal choice. I'm fine with other people doing it on their own, but it just sucks when they insist on doing it in public and make the choice for me. My only choice often is to leave. That's my choice, and I accept that. I also wish some people were a little more respectful and considerate. I'm far from the only person who doesn't want to be around smoking.

In my experience, people who don't want to be around smokers generally don't want to be around either kind of smoker. There are certainly exceptions, and there are as many reasons as there are people. Heck, I used to have a roommate years ago that smoked pot but wouldn't touch a cigarette if you paid him (because, he explained, cigarettes are unhealthy eyesre4.gif )

My god, some of you people sound like babies. The only way you can MAYBE get a contact high is if you are in a tight, enclosed space with said pot smokers. If you're getting a contact high from smelling pot at concert, chances are it's a placebo effect.

Source: I was in an out-patient drug rehab program this summer where patients were drug tested. As a precaution, I asked one of the therapists there if being at a concert where people were smoking A LOT of pot would effect my drug tests. She said no and offered the above explanation. In fact, most of the THC in pot smoke is taken into the lungs when breathed in, resulting in an exhale of almost THC-free smoke.

If the smell bothers you, that's one thing, but don't get on your high horse saying you choose not to use illegal drugs and therefore hate being subjected to it for fear that you'll possibly feel some of its effects.

I agree with Tigershark2112, although his wording is rather abrasive.

This is coming from a non-pot smoker btw.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 6 2010, 05:54 PM)
My god, some of you people sound like babies. The only way you can MAYBE get a contact high is if you are in a tight, enclosed space with said pot smokers. If you're getting a contact high from smelling pot at concert, chances are it's a placebo effect.

Source: I was in an out-patient drug rehab program this summer where patients were drug tested. As a precaution, I asked one of the therapists there if being at a concert where people were smoking A LOT of pot would effect my drug tests. She said no and offered the above explanation. In fact, most of the THC in pot smoke is taken into the lungs when breathed in, resulting in an exhale of almost THC-free smoke.

If the smell bothers you, that's one thing, but don't get on your high horse saying you choose not to use illegal drugs and therefore hate being subjected to it for fear that you'll possibly feel some of its effects.

Thank you for sharing. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 6 2010, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 6 2010, 05:54 PM)
My god, some of you people sound like babies.  The only way you can MAYBE get a contact high is if you are in a tight, enclosed space with said pot smokers.  If you're getting a contact high from smelling pot at concert, chances are it's a placebo effect.

Source:  I was in an out-patient drug rehab program this summer where patients were drug tested.  As a precaution, I asked one of the therapists there if being at a concert where people were smoking A LOT of pot would effect my drug tests.  She said no and offered the above explanation.  In fact, most of the THC in pot smoke is taken into the lungs when breathed in, resulting in an exhale of almost THC-free smoke.

Thank you for sharing. tongue.gif

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, just wanted to clear the air (pun intended).

Pretty much what I said at the beginning.

You ain't gonna get shit from breathing in pot smoke.

I thank Tiger, and Marbles for elaborating. Others too, but i'm not really gonna go read through all the whining.

The point is. There are dicks in the world. Staying inside your house because people smoke isn't going to get you anywhere. You might as well stay inside, with duct tape around your house, because someone is smoking a cigarette on the sidewalk outside.

The same goes for concerts. It's an outdoor venue, it's ALLOWED (well not pot.), and from experience with my parents; the smokers most of them, paid good money for the cigs (although IT IS a bad habit), AND the seats.

My personal preference is that I just wouldn't smoke, or do it during intermission.

However, other people do NOT share that preference, and are gonna light up, so bitching really won't get anyone anywhere.

TL;DR: If you don't like it. So what? Get over it, and TRY to focus on the show.

Or, take some medicine before hand. Problem solved.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 6 2010, 07:46 PM)
It's an outdoor venue, it's ALLOWED (well not pot.), and from experience with my parents; the smokers most of them, paid good money for the cigs (although IT IS a bad habit), AND the seats.

I'd be very surprised to find any outdoor venues that allow smoking anywhere but the lawn and in designated areas off to the sides, near concession. No amphitheater that I've been to in the past decade - at least - has allowed smoking in the seats. Nitpicky perhaps, but it is what it is.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 6 2010, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 6 2010, 07:46 PM)
It's an outdoor venue, it's ALLOWED (well not pot.), and from experience with my parents; the smokers most of them, paid good money for the cigs (although IT IS a bad habit), AND the seats.

I'd be very surprised to find any outdoor venues that allow smoking anywhere but the lawn and in designated areas off to the sides, near concession. No amphitheater that I've been to in the past decade - at least - has allowed smoking in the seats. Nitpicky perhaps, but it is what it is.

Really? The last few Rush concerts i've been to, my parents always smoked in the seats. Security never said a thing.

I guess I should change it to "What i've seen" instead of just assuming.

My error.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 6 2010, 06:46 PM)
Pretty much what I said at the beginning.
You ain't gonna get shit from breathing in pot smoke.

I thank Tiger, and Marbles for elaborating. Others too, but i'm not really gonna go read through all the whining.

The point is. There are dicks in the world. Staying inside your house because people smoke isn't going to get you anywhere. You might as well stay inside, with duct tape around your house, because someone is smoking a cigarette on the sidewalk outside.

The same goes for concerts. It's an outdoor venue, it's ALLOWED (well not pot.), and from experience with my parents; the smokers most of them, paid good money for the cigs (although IT IS a bad habit), AND the seats.

My personal preference is that I just wouldn't smoke, or do it during intermission.

However, other people do NOT share that preference, and are gonna light up, so bitching really won't get anyone anywhere.

TL;DR: If you don't like it. So what? Get over it, and TRY to focus on the show.

Or, take some medicine before hand. Problem solved.

Wow, thanks for the advice. I really need to re-evaluate my thoughts and feelings about everything after feeling the love just oozing out of your post.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 6 2010, 07:54 PM)
My god, some of you people sound like babies.  The only way you can MAYBE get a contact high is if you are in a tight, enclosed space with said pot smokers.  If you're getting a contact high from smelling pot at concert, chances are it's a placebo effect.

Placebo Effect . . . . . Most Excellent ! applaudit.gif

Those who seem to offended by "smelling" Pot or Cig's at concerts

Ingested far more carcinogens in regular day to day life, so better go hide in a hermetically sealed cave to be safe. And to think your "doing drugs" cause you smell it, wow! Not sure I can think of a analogy to apply to this absurd assumption. fing.gif

With this said, Yes, a little discretion when smoking in crowded public events would be the courteous way to go, I know you would never know that I was baked at the show cause I keep it on the down low. cool10.gif