Battle of the Epic Songs I (Non Rush)

losingit2k

Which Epic Song is best IYHO?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Epic Song is best IYHO?

• Mind Drive .....................(Yes)
    • Budapest.......................(Jethro Tull)
    • Driving the Last Spike......(Genesis)
    • Sorrow...........................(Pink Floyd)
    • Count of Tuscany............(Dream Theater)
    • Pictures at an Exhibition..(ELP - Studio Version)

This first round was pretty difficult for me! I know there are many Epic songs from each group, however I wanted to begin with their latest first!

I went with Count of Tuscany I love that Xanaduish break in the middle!

Anyway vote your mind, leave your thoughts!

common001.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif common001.gif

I thought SORROW was not Epic at all, just of ordinary, everyday length...Although, I do acknowledge it's massive girth and width around the base...Yet, for seriousness, I just remember this song being the one that I overlooked initially because it came last on a very commercial PF outing...BUT, that was many years ago, when I was just a wee wicked weeling...This was before I listened to EVERYTHING on 'random', so that I'M equally aquainted with all tunes on all albums, equally...Good idea, right?

I love The Pink Floyd, loved the last album 'The Division Bell' like thirty seven times more than 1987's Obscured By Bedposts...Although, the '87 title can be excused in many regards because it was truly a result of its environment, and social upbringing...I personally voted for YES' Mind Drive because it was a significant part of those 1996 sessions that saw the band attempting a solid return to their Close to the Edge through Going For The One era...I love those tunes. And, Mind Drive actually stems all the way back to like 1980, when it was first introduced to the band by Fishy, then shelved for 16 years.

Could you have chosen any songs more obscure? confused13.gif

I mean, I consider myself a big fan of those first four bands, and I don't know even those songs much less the others.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 15 2010, 08:14 PM)
Could you have chosen any songs more obscure? confused13.gif

I mean, I consider myself a big fan of those first four bands, and I don't know even those songs much less the others.

I guess that means you shunned We Can't Dance. I can't blame you for that, but the album is actually a lot better than you'd think. Especially Driving The Last Spike and Fading Lights. smile.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Sep 15 2010, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 15 2010, 08:14 PM)
Could you have chosen any songs more obscure?  confused13.gif

I guess that means you shunned We Can't Dance. I can't blame you for that, but the album is actually a lot better than you'd think. Especially Driving The Last Spike and Fading Lights. smile.gif

I'm not too familiar with anything they've done since the 1983 self-titled album, other than their MTV "hits."

I'm vexed to see Budapest listed as an "epic song". When so many brilliant songs from their 70s era are there to choose from. Pibroch (Cap In Hand) would have been my vote (or Heavy Horses or Dark Ages or...)

I voted Pink Floyd's Sorrow.

Archived