Did Rush Hump The Whale?

Tick

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 5 2012, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 5 2012, 09:59 AM)
And Tick's awesome response to the Shark thread....

Never dull....always interesting...Tick! atickhum.gif

you left out incredibly humble too!

If they did Hump the Whale, I'm extremely grateful for it. I didn't give one wit about Rush until I heard Stick It Out on the radio, followed by Nobody's Hero. I immediately bought Counterparts, devoured it, picked up Roll The Bones, then Test for Echo when it came out. Then started working backwards until I owned the whole catalogue. Love everything except GUP, but for us young tots who grew up on Iron Maiden and Van Halen, Counterparts was the window to a whole new world. I went from Rush to Dream Theater, discovered Yes (all eras), Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Symphony X, Genesis and all the various spin offs of those bands. I am now a prog-head and can't imagine my life without this kind of music.

All because Rush Humped the Whale. They're apparently very good at Humping it, or we all wouldn't be here talking about them at this very moment. wink.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 3 2010, 04:33 PM)
Hey, isn't that Yes's new single?  "Don't Hump The Whale"???

unsure.gif

God, I have literally had music.gif "Don't Hump The Whale" music.gif the song running through my head all day. Thanks a lot! laugh.gif tongue.gif

Humping of whales? No.

Humping of bass guitars? Geddy would rather not talk about it...

http://38.media.tumblr.com/ff13e0777c38989f96a789f008f0598c/tumblr_musvybSEwn1sg3xpdo1_400.gif

Should this be merged with the "Does Geddy sway?" thread?

• Like 6

Humping of whales? No.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/ff13e0777c38989f96a789f008f0598c/tumblr_musvybSEwn1sg3xpdo1_400.gif

I just had a disturbing flashback to a scene in Pulp Fiction.

In fairness to Lee, though, I think it's more a trompe l'oeil.

Humping of whales? No.

I just had a disturbing flashback to a scene in Pulp Fiction.

In fairness to Lee, though, I think it's more a trompe l'oeil.

Well right, he was aiming for the entire audience and the bass just helps get the point across. :LOL:

I think he was just keeping beat with the music. He likes to do that. :)

Thanks, Lorraine . . . I was starting to get grossed out. I'm not sure I can revisit this thread because of that kinda grotesque video clip . . .

I think they did, big time. They were cruising along making successful album after album, until the 90's. I think it was a whole era different for the band. It was nothing the likes of which we had never heard. It was at this juncture that IMO, Rush humped the Whale. I know some will give me a hard time, and that's ok. Your all entitled to your own opinions, and I can respect them, but for me, this is a clear cut fact. yes.gif atickhum.gif

That's pretty funny. I've never heard of "hump the whale" before. I'm more of a "jump the shark" kind of a guy." Of course the term "jump the shark" came from "Happy Days." It was one of the last episodes that showed Fonzi actually jump a shark. I think that was the last straw.

Arthur Fonzarelli found the 'blowhole' on a Humpback Whale and had Chachi Arcola and Potsie" Weber hold the damn thing down while Ralph Malph 'jumped' it, right in clear sight of Jenny Piccalo and Joanie Cunningham, both who were seated two booths down from the horrific incident at Arnold's, causing the spontaneous regurgitation of both girl's meals...It was pretty nasty stuff to behold...But, the following week saw a huge jump in Neilsen ratings...proving once again that humping the whale always pays off...Cousin Oliver is slated to hump a much smaller amphibious mammal from phyllum chordata to kick off the start of next season...possibly the pygmy or beluga variety...whichever mammal photographs better with Davey Jones, who also guest stars.

Oh shit Locator. Sorry! I should have read through that thread first.

Excellent post.

No, they didn't. Unfortunately many of their fans are trapped in an era that only comprised eight years of a forty year career.

Since this thread first aired back in 2010 after Rush humped the Whale, Rush made an album so good I believe it was inspired by reading this thread. Had the band bypassed this thread I don't think we would have gotten an album the magnitude of Clockwork Angels.

No need to thank me. Just doing my job.

Edited by Tick