Freaks And Geeks

Bastille Dave

I watched this TV show about 10 years ago and never noticed it before. I recently watched a few episodes and It seems there is a Rush reference in almost every show I've seen. I stumbled across this show and the first episode I saw was the one with the drummer playing "Spirit Of Radio" about 10 times. The hopeful yet helplessly lost drummer guy is a huge Rush fan and is always sportin' some kind of Rush T-shirt.

I'm not a big "hey, a Rush sighting!" kind of guy but I thought this was kinda cool.

WHERE AND WHEN did this show air, originally? Was it on network TV? I'm watching this show on IFC now, I guess along with everybody else...Have only caught maybe three epis so far, but I can def. see the appeal of the show...

The timeframe that the show is set is only maybe a half-decade, or maybe a few years earlier than when I graduated. What year(s) is this thing set exactly?

They've obviously begun re-airing these epis because of who exactly is in this cast...A bunch of present-day star power is featured here...BIG NAMES NOW.

Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel. The female lead seems to be the only one who didn't go on to massive fame and fortune...Maybe she did...Maybe she's just in films that don't appeal to me.

You say that RUSH is referenced in pretty much every episode of this show, but ya got that Jason Segel in the cast...and this guy is obviously a huge RUSH fan. Segel played opposite Paul Rudd in "I Love You, Man"...and that entire movie was a RUSH reference.

Judd Apatow? That says it all? You know what movies this F'n Rock Star is responsible for? He's like the funniest mo-fo writer in the biz...Started professional life as a stand-up, but that didn't work out for him...He's really got no stage presence at all...But, his writing ability is otherwordly...

The dude knows how to put together a comedic situation...40 yr. old Virgin, Year One, Pineapple Express, Zohan, Step Brothers, etc...You get the drift. And, he's married to that MILFish hottie who pukes all over Steve Carrell in Virgin after saying "Frraanch Toast"...lol.

JUDD APATOW IS A F'n ROCK STAR....low key though. He's a rock star to all the mo-fos he's made rich. Did I mention Walk Hard: Dewey Cox and Superbad? No? Well, he wrote those too.

Now that I look at Judd's IMDB page, I see that the fella is actually tackling a new PEE WEE HERMAN film...t'WHAT?!?!?!?! How the heck would they get something like that to work without Paul Reubens? No one else could play that role. That's like getting someone other than Christopher Reeve to play Superman...You can do it...But why?

I too have been watching it recently on IFC, but prior to that I rented and watched all the episodes from Netflix.

It truly was an excellent show that died way too prematurely.

Incidentally, as someone mentioned earlier, Linda Cardellini, who played Lindsey was on several seasons of E.R. - I never saw E.R., but supposedly she did quite well for herself. Outside of that, launching the careers of Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel and Martin Starr, is no small feat.

And there are NOT Rush references in every episode, but there are a few, and often not insubstantial ones. I have a miniature Rushgasm every time Rush gets mentioned...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 27 2010, 08:12 PM)
I have a miniature Rushgasm every time Rush gets mentioned...

ha , thats funny.

I'm guessing the show takes place about 1979-1980. One episode, the counselor (I think) asks the girl if she has heard the new Rush album and the drummer guy has 2 different "Permanent Waves" t-shirts.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Aug 27 2010, 06:45 PM)

ha , thats funny.

I'm guessing the show takes place about 1979-1980. One episode, the counselor (I think) asks the girl if she has heard the new Rush album and the drummer guy has 2 different "Permanent Waves" t-shirts.

The first episode says 1980.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 27 2010, 08:22 PM)
The female lead seems to be the only one who didn't go on to massive fame and fortune...Maybe she did...Maybe she's just in films that don't appeal to me.

She's actually done quite a bit.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004802/

Most notably was her her stint on ER, but she was also Velma in the Scooby Doo movie(s).

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Aug 27 2010, 08:45 PM)

ha , thats funny.

Yeah, the drummer, Nick, is really the actor, Jason Segel, who's got to be a huge RUSH-head in real life...He plays a Rush fan in Freaks and Geeks and also plays a Rush fan in the movie, "I Love You, Man"...something like that can't be a mere coincidence...Also, non-coincidentally, I don't think he can get Sarah Marshall out of his mind either.

I thought the show took place around '84 '85, '86 by things that have been said...With a show like this that's set on a specific timeline, it probably would be fun to watch along and see if they get all the references correct, or muss up something.

It was the Rush reference that got me hooked on this show. I flipped through a channel one night and saw THAT scene and, after laughing my ass off for 10 minutes, made a point to watch it every week.

Of course, I could never find it anywhere because they bumped it around to about 20 different time slots, and then it got cancelled.

It's really painful to watch now because it runs out of episodes before any kind of real development was allowed to happen.

There's another really good episode where Jason Segel auditions for a band and absolutely craps the bed... at the end of the episode he's trying to play along to the Spirit of Radio.

The show was set during the 1980-81 school year, according to Wiki.

No show captured my teenage alienation better than this one did. What a shame.

I too have been watching it recently on IFC, but prior to that I rented and watched all the episodes from Netflix.

Incidentally, as someone mentioned earlier, Linda Cardellini, who played Lindsey was on several seasons of E.R. - I never saw E.R., but supposedly she did quite well for herself. Outside of that, launching the careers of Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel and Martin Starr, is no small feat.

And there are NOT Rush references in every episode, but there are a few, and often not insubstantial ones. I have a miniature Rushgasm every time Rush gets mentioned...

I'm sure you love the episode where Lindsy gets turned onto American Beauty. I think it's the final episode. Gotta love it.

As others have said, the show is brilliant and really captures life in that time frame that anyone who was a teenager in the 80s can relate to.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 28 2010, 06:36 AM)

Incidentally, as someone mentioned earlier, Linda Cardellini, who played Lindsey was on several seasons of E.R. - I never saw E.R., but supposedly she did quite well for herself.  Outside of that, launching the careers of Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel and Martin Starr, is no small feat.

And there are NOT Rush references in every episode, but there are a few, and often not insubstantial ones.  I have a miniature Rushgasm every time Rush gets mentioned...

I'm sure you love the episode where Lindsy gets turned onto American Beauty. I think it's the final episode. Gotta love it.

Absolutely!

They wouldn't have gone the direction they did in the last episode if they didn't know it was the last episode, as they knew the show was being canceled.

Yeah, that one is something special, but the whole season was pretty universally awesome.

I probably should see these epis in sequence, which can't be done on that high-quality IFC channel, I dun' think...Can ya? Any upcoming F & G marathons slated fo' IFC? You guys can come over and we'll cook up some pork tenderloins and scrod.

On a semi-related note, MTV really did put together a quality teen comedy series recently...I still can't believe that it was them who got behind this particular series, but the show 'THE HARD TIMES OF RJ BERGER' was some funny schtuff, friends...

I think that the aim here was to make a series out of the humor found in movies like, 'Superbad'...and I think these boys were mostly on point with reaching that goal...It t'wasnt bad a'talll...Not bad a'tall..

The premise behind the show is like something straight out of the 'American Pie' movies...Goofy kid with an abnormal-sized penga (like a civil war cannon, but white) falls in love with the Class Beauty Queen, and drools all over his best bud dreaming up ways to woo and win her heart. The girl they got to play the female lead is a stone cold fox.

I caught a few epis on the web and a few on the telly...but, just as expected, I frakkin' missed the last two epis and don't know if he ever got to show her his homerun slugger. They were alluding to him taking out that big-league bat and smashing a ball over the fence all season. But, I dunno.

Archived