I'm a big baby at Red Rocks

ljr869

I don't know if it was the altitude (I'm from San Diego) or the awesome venue (the most beautiful in North America per Geddy) or visiting my high school buddy (we're 40) but during the second song (Time Stand Still) I totally started to weep. Maybe it was the lyrics (Summer's going fast, etc... Old friends getting older, etc.) but I was totally feeling it. Best concert I've ever been to. I feel sorry for people who don't have RUSH in their life.

QUOTE (ljr869 @ Aug 25 2010, 09:35 AM)
I don't know if it was the altitude (I'm from San Diego) or the awesome venue (the most beautiful in North America per Geddy) or visiting my high school buddy (we're 40) but during the second song (Time Stand Still) I totally started to weep. Maybe it was the lyrics (Summer's going fast, etc... Old friends getting older, etc.) but I was totally feeling it. Best concert I've ever been to. I feel sorry for people who don't have RUSH in their life.

I was pretty damn sure this was going to happen to me in LA, since I've not seen Rush since my neck surgery (had to miss 2nd leg of S&A because of it), TSS is one of my faves, and it's been over 15 years since hearing that particular song live.

What DID make me misty-eyed, though, was Marathon. Just kick-ass.

(and Neil's drum solo at Irvine. I've never gotten emotional over a drum solo before. WTG Neil!)

I know the feeling! I was at the Red Rocks 16 August show....I got choked up and teary-eyed no less than 3 times!

I think it was because I had waited many years to see a show at Red Rocks and it was the RUSH Time Machine Tour. I've been listening to RUSH since '74 and felt a lot of nostalgia.

It was the total awesomeness of Red Rocks and the total awesomeness of RUSH... the combination... that got to me, I guess.

Edited by summer_sky

Yeah, I teared up during Presto (all three concerts I went to, mind you!). Mainly because, to me, it was AWESOME that they were finally playing it live. It's a favorite of mine, and I was always kinda surprised that they never played it because it seems to lend itself to live performance. confused13.gif

Anyway, it's INCREDIBLE live, and it made me cry. Yes, I am a wuss, but what can I say? I love RUSH!!

Yeah, I get verklempt smile.gif

Usually Subdivisions does it for me. That song is basically the soundtrack of my life.

Both times I have heard it live it choked me up.... when you get a little older and can savor what's in front of you (i.e. your favorite band playing your favorite song while you are watching it happen), then yeah, you get emotional.

Edited by analog guy

QUOTE (ljr869 @ Aug 25 2010, 11:35 AM)

I was a big baby at Vegas and was all teary eyed during the same song. The older I get the more that song hits home. And standing next to my pregnant wife definitely helped bring on the tears.

yes.gif You Bet! At ABQ there was a good friend down from Toronto for the show, we are old guys, they started TSS and we high 5ed, hugged sang along and both had tears and goosebumps and took a sip off our drinks at just that right moment ... trink38.gif Then they hit Presto and yes weak in the knees and blurred vision from the tears. Big BABIES!!! yes.gif

2.gif trink39.gif yes.gif trink38.gif

I second that emotion!! My wife & I decided to take a little vacation from the heat of Summer in Phoenix. I suggested a road trip to see Rush @ Red Rocks since the Time Machine tour wasn't scheduled to stop in Phoenix this year. So I bought tickets to the 08/16 show. It would be my first Red Rocks show and my 11th Rush show overall. My first Rush show was at the Spectrum in Philadelphia (another legendary venue, imho) in September of 1980. It would be my wife's first Rush show after being married for nearly 26 years. Anyway, the natural beauty of Red Rocks and getting to see one of my favorite bands there with my favorite person in the world made for quite an emotional experience. I don't care about the technical difficulties and whatever miscues there were. I got to see Rush at Red Rocks with my ever-loving Bride! Rush is still playing at the top of their game and it was quite the spectacle to behold! It doesn't get much better than that!!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I get unashamedly choked up at Rush shows. My emotions range from grinning like an idiot to literally getting chills at particularly stirring passages to, yes, tears.

Last tour it was Mission that totally choked me up.

on the VT tour it was Bravado and The Pass.

That never happened in the 1990s.. probably because I was younger, more naive, and up til that point hadn't had a lot of emotional stuff happen in my life.

Seems like these days I can't go see anyone I really dig without getting misty-eyed at some point. Not that I'm complaining... wink.gif

Edited by Mystic Slipperman