Red Rocks 8/18/10

Clue69Less

Wow, that was a great show! The band sounded SO good! The smiles were big and relaxed, the audience was into it and the technical screw ups were minimal. There was a train wreck at the end Tom Sawyee but that's OK. I had a blast and can't wait till the next time.

The train wreck was kind of funny. Neil was WAY out of sync at the end of TS. Geddy walked over to Neil's riser to try and get him back in sync, at least that's what it looked like. The screen had a close-up of Neil laughing. It was at the very end of the song so it wasn't a big deal.

Neil was wearing a big headset instead of the usual in-ear devices. Don't know why, doesn't really matter, but what was funny was that everytime the screen showed him, everyone could see two huge strips of duct tape holding the headset to his skull cap. Thought that was funny.

There was no mention of the show being filmed. There were cameras, but I don't know if they were there to film or just used for the show. There were no more than Monday night that I saw.

Alex and Geddy seemed to be having a lot more fun than Monday. Neil smiled a little more, and made a few funny faces that showed on the big screen.

Overall, GREAT show.

Edited by ominbnd

Hard to put in words how great this show was. I did catch the crash at the end of TS, but missed the screw-up Monday in camera eye. Maybe because I was 33 rows closer. First set highlights: BU2B and Freewill (again!). Second set: Red Barchetta and Closer to the Heart. It was at that point that I realized how appropriate that this tour is named Time Machine because these songs and these musicians are truly "timeless." 35 year old songs sound as fresh and lyrically relevant as 3 month old compositions. Time Stands Still...indeed. 2.gif

QUOTE (Tom's cameraeye @ Aug 19 2010, 03:29 AM)
Hard to put in words how great this show was. I did catch the crash at the end of TS, but missed the screw-up Monday in camera eye. Maybe because I was 33 rows closer. First set highlights: BU2B and Freewill (again!). Second set: Red Barchetta and Closer to the Heart. It was at that point that I realized how appropriate that this tour is named Time Machine because these songs and these musicians are truly "timeless." 35 year old songs sound as fresh and lyrically relevant as 3 month old compositions. Time Stands Still...indeed. 2.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 19 2010, 03:04 AM)

I know for a fact that they filmed as we had to sign disclaimers.

Were there big boom cameras swooping around and camera operators on the stage? If they were filming for a DVD, you would know for sure - there would be WAY more cameras than usually used just for the video boards during the show.

QUOTE (ominbnd @ Aug 19 2010, 02:03 AM)
Neil was wearing a big headset instead of the usual in-ear devices.

How did you like the duct tape holding the phones to his hat? Probably to keep the explosions from blowing them into the 33rd row. My leg hair are still waxed from the one in Far Cry.

An old buddy of mine who lives in Denver now says: (quote) "Easily the best show I have ever seen, we were blown away".

He said he even got a t-shirt from Geddy that says "Nobody beats my sausage" on it.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 19 2010, 08:16 AM)
An old buddy of mine who lives in Denver now says: (quote) "Easily the best show I have ever seen, we were blown away".

He said he even got a t-shirt from Geddy that says "Nobody beats my sausage" on it.

biggrin.gif

OMG I want that shirt!!!

Because Nobody CAN beat MY Sausage.

laugh.gif

The train wreck was kind of funny. Neil was WAY out of sync at the end of TS. .

NO!!! This is not neil it's Alex who make the mistake at the end of Tom Sawyer and again Alex make a very big mistake on the guitar solo rofl3.gif

You can watch those disaster ( biggrin.gif ) here:

QUOTE (southpaw2k5 @ Aug 19 2010, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 19 2010, 03:04 AM)

I know for a fact that they filmed as we had to sign disclaimers.

Were there big boom cameras swooping around and camera operators on the stage? If they were filming for a DVD, you would know for sure - there would be WAY more cameras than usually used just for the video boards during the show.

There were no cameras like that. I didn't have to sign a disclaimer so I don't know what that's about.

All in all, one of the best shows I've been to.

QUOTE (Spoutnik @ Aug 19 2010, 06:35 AM)

NO!!! This is not neil it's Alex who make the mistake at the end of Tom Sawyer and again Alex make a very big mistake on the guitar solo rofl3.gif

That was painful to watch. laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Spoutnik @ Aug 19 2010, 09:35 AM)

After watching it a few times I think you're right. Everyone around me thought it was Neil too.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Aug 19 2010, 08:55 AM)
The headset thing is interesting.

It would certainly give more creedence to the theory that everyone was having monitoring issues on Monday.

Replacing the In Ears with a big headset wouldn't have any effect on monitoring issues, as they are still fed to him using the same method; and they would keep a spare set of them anyway.

In Ears are a nightmare to wear if you have an ear infection, and can infact make the infection worse.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, as long as he can hear what is going on, I don't care if he wears In Ears, Over Ears or a Barbie Doll Mask.

I heard Alex make mistakes in TS, and to my ears it was his mess up in the end. Big wreck.

That said, though, I was BLOWN AWAY at how good the show was last night. I was less than ecstatic after Monday's show (lots of snafus, both human and mechanical), and I thought the sound was muddy. Last night's show was a real winner, and the best sounding Rush show I've ever heard. Every note was crystal clear, the mix was perfect, damn near studio quality.

Caravan and BU2B, two songs I wasn't that thrilled about (I liked 'em, but the seemed pretty haphazard when I first listened to 'em), were STELLAR. Caravan is one of their best instrumental tracks ever... I almost wish they hadn't tried to add lyrics! BU2B is suddenly pretty cool, too. I like the lyrics, and I'm wondering about the story arc of Clockwork Angels now as a result... The Camera Eye was PERFECT.

To me it was like two different bands played this week. I'm glad I got to see them last night; after Monday I was wondering if they needed some more rehearsal time, a vacation or retirement.

QUOTE (Slipperypick @ Aug 19 2010, 11:33 AM)
I was less than ecstatic after Monday's show (lots of snafus, both human and mechanical), and I thought the sound was muddy. Last night's show was a real winner, and the best sounding Rush show I've ever heard. Every note was crystal clear, the mix was perfect, damn near studio quality.

I got a good recording of last night's show. Straight off of the recorder, it is bright in the upper midrange into the siblance area but I can fix that. But all of the music is there and it's clear and dynamic. I'll eventually get it up on the Dime but in the short term, if anyone can't wait, I'll copy both shows onto one DVD as 44.1KHz/16 bit WAVs (I recorded 44.1/24 bit) and mail them out to the first 13 people that PM me. Who says 13 is an unlucky number? I've been listening to the boots all day and have face cramps from smiling so much, my coworkers are suspicious.

QUOTE (rushguy74 @ Aug 19 2010, 09:41 PM)
Did anyone else notice how the whole lighting system did not move either night? The lights usually move up and down and move like a spider. Does it have to do with the Red Rocks stage?

That is a great question! I was wondering the same thing!

More fuel to the fire.

Even if Rush was going to record a DVD and BLU-RAY at Red Rocks, there is NO WAY they could have pulled it off!

Way too many video/lighting errors, too many "Different Strings" and Neil was off on many songs.

JMO!

Better do it in RIO! 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushguy74 @ Aug 19 2010, 11:41 PM)
Did anyone else notice how the whole lighting system did not move either night? The lights usually move up and down and move like a spider. Does it have to do with the Red Rocks stage?

The spinning lights moved up and down at the Red Rocks shows for Snakes and Arrows, so the venue isn't the issue.

QUOTE (Clue69Less @ Aug 20 2010, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (rushguy74 @ Aug 19 2010, 11:41 PM)
Did anyone else notice how the whole lighting system did not move either night?  The lights usually move up and down and move like a spider.  Does it have to do with the Red Rocks stage?

The spinning lights moved up and down at the Red Rocks shows for Snakes and Arrows, so the venue isn't the issue.

Yes but this lighting rig is much bigger. The whole thing moves and twists and turns. I saw it in Milwaukee. Not an expert here but again I am wondering if it is the stage. Maybe it can't support all that weight moving around.